Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 2:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
RE: UK to leave EU
(June 24, 2016 at 1:30 am)Tiberius Wrote: Referendums only work when the population is educated on the matter at hand. They should be reserved for civil rights matters [...]

I do not agree with this. Prop 8 in California highlights the dangers of subjecting civil rights to a vote.

(June 24, 2016 at 6:40 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Can we not act like petulant children, perhaps? There are creationists in need of a jolly good battering out there, they're getting cold.

Indeed. But this thread contains other forms of idiocy Big Grin
Like Nationalism: Fuck it in the ear.
For me it wasn't about Brexit being racist, per se, though that can be a part of it, but rather it being reactionary... being about anger and rage and blame... that's what I don't want to see this country turning into... a nation of Victor Meldrews  Wink
I don't think Brexit is racist. I'm not saying most Brexiters are racist I'm saying most racists voted Brexit.
Some are racist, some were drunk, some illeterate and the vast majority are just dumb idiots, or a combination of these traits. Instead of looking at the future and work hard to get the country to obtain their goals in unity with others, they think isolation and arrogace is just going to feed them. Like Salazar, the last Portuguese dictator said once under pressure by the world community: "Proudly, alone".

Demagogery is a thing, and as it was showcased there are alot of people just unable to see through it. Go ahead, celebrate, and honestly I hope it wont get to a big crisis, not for the brexiters, but for the more decent people that do not deserve hardship because of the traits I outlined in paragraph 1.
(June 24, 2016 at 6:46 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I don't think Brexit is racist.  I'm not saying most Brexiters are racist I'm saying most racists voted Brexit.

I know... I didn't say that in reference to you.
I know Smile
(June 24, 2016 at 6:23 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(June 24, 2016 at 6:20 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Yep! Complete justification for calling all leave voters racists accepted  Tongue

No one on this thread called all leave voters racist.

"All" is probably harsh..... but I imagine "some" would pass muster.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/its-to-s...supporter/

Quote:‘It’s to stop the Muslims’: Brexit voter’s reasoning sounds disturbingly like a Trump supporter
Oh definitely some, or even most: There are a lot of racists. Every single politically active racist voter I have ever known always chooses the option that limits immigration the most.

Like I said, not all brexiters are racist, but in my experience, the racists are brexiters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1063 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7425 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4845 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2517 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 22267 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2075 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8773 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8444 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman