Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 10:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
RE: UK to leave EU
(June 27, 2016 at 10:45 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: You know, in this instance, over here, in the UK, the Remain side were by far the worst in terms of propagating fear, it goes both ways.  Pandering to the lowest common denominator.

You call it propagating fear, the rest of us call it making evidence based predictions about the economy. You make it sound like propagating fear is an innately bad thing, but when it's an issue that people *should* be afraid of, then propagating fear is a good thing indeed.

I've seen the nonsense about the market going up and down is "usual", and yes, there is usually some fluctuation in the market, but as Cthulhu said, when there's an identifiable cause, it's not "normal" or "usual". Just because some fluctuation is normal doesn't mean when the market crashes everything is fine.

Rhythm tried to explain this in the other thread I believe (there's 3 or 4 thread on this so forgive me if I'm wrong), but saying that the market will recover is meaningless to the hear and now. People lost money, and that money isn't going to come back. Even if the pound goes back up, you've lost money because you were only able to invest a smaller amount in the interim.

(June 27, 2016 at 11:39 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: #ohfucksendmetoamericaalready

You're welcome at my place anytime mate.
(June 27, 2016 at 1:30 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I'm really not understanding the "it will get better, you'll see" response to us fucking ourselves (and others) over. Wouldn't it be even better if we didn't?

My argument is to look at the long term objective. Not 1 year from now. I'm talking 10, 20 years.

I don't think anyone has really suggested the short term economic collapse is a good thing, but I don't think it's as bad as the hysteria I keep seeing from people acting like it's the literal end of the world as we know it. Long term though do we want to continue being chained by an EU economy that has seen its GDP share globally fall and fall? That restrains us from making our own trade deals? 

The 'it will get better' response is because everyone is acting like we'll never recover at all.
Cold comfort for someone already in their 40ies or 50ies.

Oh, it will get better in 10 or 20 years. Feel free to go fuck yourself in the meantime. And enjoy the absence of your life savings and pension.

What happens in 10 or 20 years time will be subject to so many factors that noone in their right mind can make any prediction.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
@ Napo

Considering the economic experts think the economy is negatively affected by Brexit I doubt you're able to predict that we'll be better off economically in 10-20 years due to Brexshit.
(June 27, 2016 at 1:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 11:39 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: #ohfucksendmetoamericaalready

You're welcome at my place anytime mate.

Believe me if I could I'd move to America in a heartbeat Smile -- I'm talking about even prior to this disaster. This just makes me crave America even more but the chances of me ever being able to afford it are slimmer now due to this bullshit Sad
(June 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Believe me if I could I'd move to America in a heartbeat Smile -- I'm talking about even prior to this disaster.

Don't forget there's the remote possibility of Trump winning. But yes, I consider the same. As some of my ancestors did during the war. Some staying, some returning. But I highly doubt, they're waiting for a guy in his 50ies.
Yes if Trump gets in that may change my plan.

ETA: Or rather -- my dream.

ETA #2: Or rather -- my pie in the sky.
(June 27, 2016 at 2:03 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Yes if Trump gets in that may change my plan.

ETA: Or rather -- my dream.

Scotland may be the better choice. Or Ireland for that matter. Pity, before the crash of 2008, my dream was to retire somewhere in the UK. In some small hamlet that hasn't been bought out by bankers yet.
It all depends. It all depends.

It all depends.
(June 27, 2016 at 1:55 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: @ Napo

Considering the economic experts think the economy is negatively affected by Brexit I doubt you're able to predict that we'll be better off economically in 10-20 years due to Brexshit.

Well I can look at Europe's "successes" over the last 40 years and make a judgement call. Mediterranean countries destroyed by the single currency. Lower and lower share of global GDP. The slowest growth of any large market in the world. Countries going bankrupt and us having to bail them out. Huge amounts of debt. Deflation. High unemployment. 

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-has-shrun...d-economy/
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-...nd_finance
http://www.worldeconomics.com/papers/Com...b048.paper
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econo...harts.html

Is staying in really the only option?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1062 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7421 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4834 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2512 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 22238 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2073 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8770 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8440 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman