Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 5:52 am

Poll: Atheists: Are the words "sin" ad "hell" trigger words to you?
This poll is closed.
Yes, although I never believed in such notions.
4.55%
1 4.55%
Yes, I used to believe and now that I don't, the prospect of such things is upsetting
13.64%
3 13.64%
No, I have never considered them to be trigger words
40.91%
9 40.91%
No, I used to be a believer but now that I'm not I don't have any sensitivity to these words
36.36%
8 36.36%
(This one's for Min) Fuck off
4.55%
1 4.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?
RE: Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?
Without the motivation, sin as a pejorative has no teeth. Where the harm lies is in the intent behind the label.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Don't care for the most part. But sometimes the cheek of some self-important little god lover warning me against sin and hell can get to me. Usually not.
(January 2, 2017 at 12:35 am)Stimbo Wrote: Without the motivation, sin as a pejorative has no teeth. Where the harm lies is in the intent behind the label.

You would never hear it without the intent or motive, though. That's the whole point, it's a concept that has to pertain to everybody because according to the belief everyone is a creation of the deity who hates us for doing the same shit he does. Pride is only a sin when it's not god thinking his shit don't stink.

The worst part is when this is thumped into the heads of children. Because you just KNOW when they're hollering this crap at you, they're doing this to their own kids or worse, someone else's whom they have no right to do that to.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(January 1, 2017 at 9:29 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You can say it. Im the member being referred to here.

Though i wish the context of which I said that in had been posted, as I feel as though the way it is being presented here is a bit of a misrepresentation.

Anyhow, sorry if it was condecending and insulting to anyone. It was not my intention.

Shhhhhhhh. Shhhhh. Shhh. 

One does not simply call themselves out, C_L! In any case it doesn't matter who said it, I was bringing up the concept not the Christian. Had totally forgotten it was you, too! Thanks for the apology though. :hugs: 
Do you owe me one I don't think so? But since you feel your quotes were misrepresented, lemme pull over what you said and lets break it down. Maybe I'm oversensitive tonight and completely in the wrong for being offended! Either way it's not your responsibility to predict the negative effect your words will have on us (unless it's blatant like how True Christian and Gods Child relish in telling us we are hell bound)--if you did that, you'd never post again! None of us would. Tongue

(January 1, 2017 at 6:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 1, 2017 at 6:22 pm)The_Empress Wrote: While I agree the OP is mostly reasonable, I don't understand how you can't see the ironic condescension and hostility in "you are a sinner just like me, and I believe I deserve hell" in a thread about the crappy way some Christians treat atheists.

OP, I do thank you for your discourse. It is important to understand, though, that implying people deserve hell is kind of awful.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing though. Regardless of what words he uses (and I understand certain words are "triggers" for atheists, like sin and hell), all he meant by that comment was that he doesn't see himself as better or superior to any of you. I think he's trying hard to be kind and humble to everyone just not understanding that certain words sets ppl off.

I dunno what they do or do not understand, but I do know that even the layest of laymen can fathom the idea of giving a jewish person a golden star pin, or asking an adopted kid where their mommy and daddy are, or walk up to a bunch of strangers and telling them they're going to go to hell is inherently going to get an adverse reaction. Why are you coming to their defense if not simply because you assume his motivaions are pure simply because of that cross on his chest? 
The BTK killer was a church goer, after all. For all you know about this stranger, he could very well be here on a not so innocent mission. Would you as easily come to the defense of a muslim, of not understanding the premises of trigger words?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
@OP

no, they are just pop culture references. Sin is a short word for "doing something bad", and Hell is short for something involving torture and agony.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Not triggers for me. They hold no more power than any other superstitious ideas.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Hell? I prefer to go there. To sin? How I will get there haha Big Grin

*burp*
In seriousness, nah, it doesn't mean anything to me as an atheist.
No. They have no emotional hold over me.

I am often annoyed by the context though, such as forcing the idea of "hell" onto children, or bothering people who are doing no harm by judging them to be "sinning".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
OP: By themselves, no. In context, maybe. Especially if used in a personal attack.

My mind just went sideways and thought "What do these have to do with Roy Rogers horse?".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7656 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 2003 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2552 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11620 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4575 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2233 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27814 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4833 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6904 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1578 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical