Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 10:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
RE: UK to leave EU
(January 23, 2017 at 11:07 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Don't fuck us over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38720320

Quote:The Supreme Court will rule later whether Parliament or ministers have the power to begin the Brexit process.

Or what? You'll post some angry stuff on a discussion forum?
(January 24, 2017 at 3:24 am)Mathilda Wrote: Or what? You'll post some angry stuff on a discussion forum?

Let's just wait and see what the result is first.
(January 24, 2017 at 3:41 am)Bella Morte Wrote:
(January 24, 2017 at 3:24 am)Mathilda Wrote: Or what? You'll post some angry stuff on a discussion forum?

Let's just wait and see what the result is first.

Ah empty threat then. OK, got it.
(January 24, 2017 at 3:44 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(January 24, 2017 at 3:41 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Let's just wait and see what the result is first.

Ah empty threat then. OK, got it.

Threats? I wasn't threatening to do anything but they should expect backlash if they do screw Brexiteers over. We can protest just as much as your side can.

Not really a proper 'threat', is it? There are bound to be protests from one of the sides, depending on the results. It isn't long til they announce it so let's wait and see.
(January 24, 2017 at 3:47 am)Bella Morte Wrote:
(January 24, 2017 at 3:44 am)Mathilda Wrote: Ah empty threat then. OK, got it.

Threats? I wasn't threatening to do anything but they should expect backlash if they do screw Brexiteers over. We can protest just as much as your side can.

Backlash? Like angry letters to the Daily Mail? Most Brexiters are baby boomers and pensioners. They're not exactly going to go out rioting.

So yeah, marches with signs saying "Down with this sort of thing" on it. Big deal.

Not to mention that there wasn't even a sizeable majority to begin with, and over time, possibly when we actually leave the EU there will be more remainers left due to the fact that the brexiters will be dying off. Especially as many voted Brexit out of protest at the status quo not expecting it to actually happen.
Government will have to consult parliament on triggering A50 but the wee pretendy "parliament" won't get a say on it. I'm happy enough with that result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38720320

Quote:Parliament must vote on whether the government can start the Brexit process, the Supreme Court has ruled.

The judgement means Theresa May cannot begin talks with the EU until MPs and peers give their backing - although this is expected to happen in time for the government's 31 March deadline.

But the court ruled the Scottish Parliament and Welsh and Northern Ireland assemblies did not need a say.

Brexit Secretary David Davis will make a statement to MPs later on Tuesday.

During the Supreme Court hearing, campaigners argued that denying the UK Parliament a vote was undemocratic.

But the government said it already had the powers to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - getting talks under way - without the need for consulting MPs and peers.
(January 24, 2017 at 3:53 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(January 24, 2017 at 3:47 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Threats? I wasn't threatening to do anything but they should expect backlash if they do screw Brexiteers over. We can protest just as much as your side can.

Backlash? Like angry letters to the Daily Mail? Most Brexiters are baby boomers and pensioners. They're not exactly going to go out rioting.

So yeah, marches with signs saying "Down with this sort of thing" on it. Big deal.

Not to mention that there wasn't even a sizeable majority to begin with, and over time, possibly when we actually leave the EU there will be more remainers left due to the fact that the brexiters will be dying off. Especially as many voted Brexit out of protest at the status quo not expecting it to actually happen.

And I suspect a sizeable proportion of the yes vote didn't vote to leave the EU but to give Call Me Dave a bloody nose, expecting that enough people would vote remain. That crowd would vote to reverse the decision in the morning.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Article 50 legislation to be published

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38753808

Quote:Legislation paving the way for the government to start the Brexit process is to be published later.

A bill enabling the government to trigger Article 50 - the formal process for leaving the EU - is to be produced after the Supreme Court ruled legislation would be necessary.

Brexit Secretary David Davis has said the bill will be "straightforward".

But it is expected to face amendments from MPs and peers, while others have said they will oppose it outright.

The government was forced to draw up the legislation after losing an appeal at the Supreme Court on Tuesday, when judges ruled that Parliament must give permission to start the Brexit process.

On Wednesday Prime Minister Theresa May announced the government would also set out its Brexit plans in a formal policy document.
The UK economy has plummeted and the pound sterling exchange rate is shite since Brexit as predicted.

This is all driven by delusional nationalism and obsession with borders rather than actually thinking about statistics, facts, the economy and reality.
Feeling you're doing something about the "Problem" is much more important than needing to innovate a solution to a real problem.

At least that's what my prior boss believed in - I've never endured so many pointless challenges over software that ended with "Okay, so it's not an issue" (I always wanted to throttle him shouting "Motherfucker that's an hour I'll never get back!").

Who knew he was as dumb as your average Brexiter.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1064 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7425 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4846 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2518 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 22274 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2075 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8773 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8445 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman