Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 2:58 am

Poll: Should abortion be...
This poll is closed.
Legal in all cases
32.14%
9 32.14%
Legal in most cases
46.43%
13 46.43%
Illegal in most cases
17.86%
5 17.86%
Illegal in all cases
0%
0 0%
Don't know
3.57%
1 3.57%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion Viewed in Moral Terms
RE: Abortion Viewed in Moral Terms
(August 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm)wwjs Wrote: I agree that never being pregnant may affect someone's views. My point on this particular topic was that those who say that it's strictly about women's right are wrong since there are women, many of whom are mothers, who oppose abortion.

I'm sorry; I'm confused. How can it be anything BUT a woman's right? Are men now bearing children? Or deciding if it is better in their circumstances to abort?

The fact that some women choose to exercise their rights to abort and some do not... what does that prove? Are you trying to say that the fact that some women choose not to abort somehow negates the rights of others to choose otherwise? If so, that's a kind of logic I don't follow.
(August 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm)wwjs Wrote: I'm just tired of this feminist bullshit blaming males as if no women were against abortion.

Yes, internalised sexism is a thing. Those women will mostly be the same women who blame rape victims if they were drunk or dressed up, because a woman looking nice and having a good time is worthy of a humiliating and violent attack as a form of punishment. Or, they will get married and take their husband's name and do most, if not all, of the cooking and housework without even stopping to think about what is actually happening there. The oppressed don't always notice oppression, you know, when it's been around for so long and it's all they've ever known.
(August 22, 2013 at 6:22 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(August 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm)wwjs Wrote: I'm just tired of this feminist bullshit blaming males as if no women were against abortion.

Yes, internalised sexism is a thing. Those women will mostly be the same women who blame rape victims if they were drunk or dressed up, because a woman looking nice and having a good time is worthy of a humiliating and violent attack as a form of punishment. Or, they will get married and take their husband's name and do most, if not all, of the cooking and housework without even stopping to think about what is actually happening there. The oppressed don't always notice oppression, you know, when it's been around for so long and it's all they've ever known.

Not a refutation, but there are women who are quite content playing Donna Reed at home. I don't see the allure, but to each her own.
(August 21, 2013 at 9:05 pm)wwjs Wrote:
(August 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm)Raeven Wrote: A lot of women are against abortion... until they find themselves unexpectedly pregnant with no desire to be, and no support for the result.
There are mothers who are against abortion as well.
Really? Mothers who had children they didn't want who are against abortion? Or just mothers who kept their kid(s) because they wanted them, and can't understand that not all women do? Because the former sound like a bitter bunch of "I ruined my life and now everybody deserves to suffer for my bad decision!!!1" and the latter sound a bit stupid and unable to understand that others don't share their feelings.

Or maybe you just missed the "with no desire to be" part?

And what of mothers who abort after having a child or children and don't want more? There are plenty of those. They make up the majority of women who get abortions in my country, by the way.

(August 22, 2013 at 6:28 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote:
(August 22, 2013 at 6:22 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Yes, internalised sexism is a thing. Those women will mostly be the same women who blame rape victims if they were drunk or dressed up, because a woman looking nice and having a good time is worthy of a humiliating and violent attack as a form of punishment. Or, they will get married and take their husband's name and do most, if not all, of the cooking and housework without even stopping to think about what is actually happening there. The oppressed don't always notice oppression, you know, when it's been around for so long and it's all they've ever known.

Not a refutation, but there are women who are quite content playing Donna Reed at home. I don't see the allure, but to each her own.
Oh yes, of course there are. But there are too many who don't like that life and just do it without thinking about it because something in their upbringing tells them they are supposed to, and that's almost heartbreaking. I'm all for women taking on that role if it's what they want, because it's about choice.
(August 21, 2013 at 7:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Um, babies are not "born" at 9 months old. They are born at 0 and have to work their way up from there.

What is named a "foetus" but will be named a "baby" is born at 9 months old then.
We have to be very picky with definitions around the so-called "pro-life" crowd.

They think life begins when the guy says "hey, want to get naked?"
[Image: BckgF.png]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 22, 2013 at 6:22 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Yes, internalised sexism is a thing. ... Or, they will get married and take their husband's name and do most, if not all, of the cooking and housework without even stopping to think about what is actually happening there.

My wife took my last name when we married.

...does this mean I don't have to clean the kitchen and bedroom before my wife comes back from work today?

Cause that would be cool.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(August 22, 2013 at 6:22 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:

Quote: Or, they will get married and take their husband's name and do most, if not all, of the cooking and housework without even stopping to think about what is actually happening there.
Which women would that be? Because that sure as hell ain't happening at my house! All she took was my name and stuck me with the other stuff!

Quote:The oppressed don't always notice oppression, you know, when it's been around for so long and it's all they've ever known.
Thanks for opening my eyes to all this feminist domination and feminist oppression! Time for me to start a revolt and stop doing the laundry!
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(August 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm)Raeven Wrote: A lot of women are against abortion... until they find themselves unexpectedly pregnant with no desire to be, and no support for the result.

That phrase is kind of strange eh? "unexpectedly pregnant." What did you not know that sex could make you pregnant? To me it's relatively amazing that abortions are still so prevalent with so much cheap or free birth control available.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Moral Obligation to Choose the Lesser Evil DeistPaladin 79 5920 September 25, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2337 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  So happens if Trump is impeached after the mid terms this fall GODZILLA 16 2556 May 7, 2018 at 4:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Republicunt": why use terms like this? shadow 162 23212 November 27, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm against abortion until my mistress needs one Doubting Thomas 32 4943 October 8, 2017 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Old ideas in politics need terms Foxaèr 3 896 February 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Disability and abortion BrokenQuill92 6 1617 December 8, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state TaraJo 58 18361 June 24, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: das_atheist
  What are your thoughts on Intact dilation and extraction(aka Partial Birth Abortion)? IanHulett 6 1676 April 27, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Razzle
  Are Drone Strikes less Moral? CapnAwesome 34 5507 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam