Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you consider to be evidence for God?
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God?
Until then, we're perfectly justified in withholding belief.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Sadly, you're about 2000 years to late. But I hear He's going to drop by again someday soon.

So people have said for hundreds of years.

But I bet it's for real this time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'm looking forward to it. He got some 'splainin to do.

More likely, he's already tried turning up, and was indistinguishable from every other person claiming to be Jesus or God. Hell, I've claimed to be God myself and no one has taken me seriously. Boy would you be in trouble if I actually was. And perhaps I am.

Or maybe it would go more like this.

http://youtu.be/tciBru32oDU
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 4:57 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Q:  What would you consider to be evidence for God?

A:  God Himself will do.  Bring Him round for tea and I'll check Him out.  If He is really, really convincing I'll believe in Him.  If not, straight back into the round file He goes.

Sadly, you're about 2000 years to late. But I hear He's going to drop by again someday soon.

Jam tomorrow, Chad, ever the claim of the credulous and easily gulled. Christians have been saying that for the last 1800 years ever since their religion started.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(April 23, 2016 at 4:32 am)Constable Dorfl Wrote:
(April 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Sadly, you're about 2000 years to late. But I hear He's going to drop by again someday soon.

Jam tomorrow, Chad, ever the claim of the credulous and easily gulled. Christians have been saying that for the last 1800 years ever since their religion started.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.  The ratio to unbelievers to believers was around 700 to 1 in 100 AD,  1970 - 11 to 1,  1995 - 7 to 1,  2015 - 5 to 1. We know that the believers will be in the minority (but a large minority - 'wide is the gate that leads to non-belief; narrow is the gate that leads to life'). The large minority comes from the ratio that's used in the OT which is 2 to 1; this ratio has linkage implications to the current church age. Taking into account that the believers count dramatically increases after the church rapture event, the ratio would reasonably be 3 to 1 when that occurs. Christ doesn't return until the Great Commission is fulfilled.
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
I call bullshit!

Did I win? Big Grin
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 22, 2016 at 11:56 pm)snowtracks Wrote: The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.  The ratio to unbelievers to believers was around 700 to 1 in 100 AD,  1970 - 11 to 1,  1995 - 7 to 1,  2015 - 5 to 1. We know that the believers will be in the minority (but a large minority - 'wide is the gate that leads to non-belief; narrow is the gate that leads to life'). The large minority comes from the ratio that's used in the OT which is 2 to 1; this ratio has linkage implications to the current church age. Taking into account that the believers count dramatically increases after the church rapture event, the ratio would reasonably be 3 to 1 when that occurs. Christ doesn't return until the Great Commission is fulfilled.

Your propensity toward hooey does not convince me whatsoever toward your chosen delusion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
In a thread called "What would you consider to be evidence for God?", that's especially ironic.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 22, 2016 at 11:56 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(April 23, 2016 at 4:32 am)Constable Dorfl Wrote: Jam tomorrow, Chad, ever the claim of the credulous and easily gulled. Christians have been saying that for the last 1800 years ever since their religion started.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.  The ratio to unbelievers to believers was around 700 to 1 in 100 AD,  1970 - 11 to 1,  1995 - 7 to 1,  2015 - 5 to 1. We know that the believers will be in the minority (but a large minority - 'wide is the gate that leads to non-belief; narrow is the gate that leads to life'). The large minority comes from the ratio that's used in the OT which is 2 to 1; this ratio has linkage implications to the current church age. Taking into account that the believers count dramatically increases after the church rapture event, the ratio would reasonably be 3 to 1 when that occurs. Christ doesn't return until the Great Commission is fulfilled.

Don't feed me a shit sandwich and expect me to thank you for a lovely meal.

The number of unbelievers wasn't 700 to 1 in 100ce, most everbody back then believed in some god or other back then.

In fact there are now more atheists than at any point in recorded history, so even if your point was valid it has been trumped by circumstances, as religion is dying out.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
If God and his cohorts were to appear in the sky tomorrow, I still wouldn't believe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4453 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11886 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2573 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3437 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1747 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4946 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8329 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2946 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1067 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 2915 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain