Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
RE: Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
(January 7, 2016 at 5:50 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: That is not true for various things. When I go to the Doctor, I don't need to know how rigorous the system is, or how knowledgeable that doctor is, I can trust their opinion for other reason, and he can claim to know certain things. If you want certainty, that's another issue.
Aside from that belief compassion is good or there is human value or what not, is not something I have to prove to anyone to remind them of it. If you are going to teach your kid for example that they can't claim to believe in human value if they don't prove it, then that's rather sad. Or if you make a write an essay to prove they value your motherhood and why, and what not....that's rather sad as well.
A lot of knowledge is to live it, to experience in it first hand. You can then remind people of things you believe they ought to know from what they experienced by believing hey we are humans, I've experienced this, etc. 

Now this doesn't mean God is off the hook that She doesn't have  proven but you haven't shown She is on the hook that She must be proven either.

You should absolutely want to know how knowledgable your doctor is!!!  You should always be your own patient advocate, and not just trust any doctor simply because he has "MD" after his name!  Especially if you feel you aren't getting proper care.  This is called critical thinking. And yes, a doctor is not obligated to explain everything he knows to you, but he certainly is capable of it.  He went to medical school and he has degrees to prove he has learned and demonstrated his knowledge to a particular standard.

I
As far as the other stuff, human value and compassion and all that:  again those are all very natural aspects of our species that do not necessarily require a scientific explanation to be experienced, but they can be explained scientifically if someone were to ask.

So he claims x does this and that, and is results in this and that. You tell him, show him the data, the various interpretations of that data, how he knows for certain or explain the whole system to you and how can know etc? Really.

Anyways, I think the first step if you want me to provide various arguments I have for God's existence, then there should a bit of a sign from you you are willing to budge. 

I will provide one, but will not be answering what other people have to say about it, because I've discussed this issue in the past and people responded already.

If God can decide goodness/morality or create it out of nothing, he can decide it's good to rape, he can decide it's good to torture humans forever for no crime of their own with immense torture. 
God can't decide it's good to torture humans forever who for no crime on their own with immense torture.
Therefore he can't decide morality or create it out of nothing.
Morality/goodness is not delusion but part of reality we live by.
If God can't create morality, then neither can evolution, because God can create evolution.
Therefore morality/goodness must be eternal.
Morality/goodness needs perception to be real.
Therefore an eternal perception that sees morality/goodness existed.

Tell me which part of the argument you find fault. I modified the argument from arbitrary and went to specific examples, so it's somewhat different then previous arguments, but to me this just shows we know goodness and eternal basis of it go hand to hand.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge - by MysticKnight - January 7, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7735 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3948 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2680 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 62760 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 48270 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1896 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6032 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 18094 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12730 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7270 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K