Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 1:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
(January 29, 2016 at 11:50 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(January 29, 2016 at 8:21 pm)Irrational Wrote: If I tell you I know that I had chicken for lunch yesterday, is that really scientific knowledge? Or not knowledge?

Can it be verified? Witnesses, deli receipts, biological data? If not, then in it's experience without evidence.

Yes, Hanky! That is exactly what I mean.

Experience by its self cannot equal knowledge. It is an incomplete set of data. It is only one facet, one step toward obtaining actual knowledge about anything in reality.

Okay...hypothetical situation as an example. It's a bit absurd, so try to suspend your disbelief just for the sake of my argument:

I have a red rose. I went to the flower shop, picked out the first red rose I saw, and bought it. I look at my red rose. I am enjoying the visual, sensory experience of seeing my red rose. I know that I have a RED rose, because I am looking at it, and experiencing it as red.

I think my red rose is so pretty, I decide to take it to the streets of NYC and see if other people think so too. So, I ask 100 people what they think of the color of my rose. Out of 100 people, 100 of them tell me that my rose is BLUE. They say things like, "Oh, my god! That is the most beautiful color of blue I've ever seen in a rose!" Or, "wow, what a spectacular blue rose!" Or, "I just love blue roses! They are my favorite!" In addition to these 100 people, others are occasionally stopping me to comment on how they have never seen a rose quite that shade of blue before. I even pass another flower shop, and the owner steps out to ask me which shop I got my blue rose from. I then check my receipt from the flower shop which states that I purchased one rose, color - BLUE, for $5.99.

Do I really KNOW at this point that I have a red rose? Can I still be confident in my "knowledge" in the face of quantifiable, repeatable evidence which suggests otherwise? Granted, my "experiment" is really just a survey; far from scientifically infallible, but it should at the very least raise more questions than it answers, and prompt me (If I am a reasonable person) to further investigation.

Personally, by the time the tenth person told me my rose was blue, I'd start to seriously question whether my internal visual experience is accurately reflecting reality. I have utterly failed to demonstrate to anyone that my rose is red. I would probably wonder if some type of pathology is affecting my sensory perception, and check my self into the nearest hospital to seek answers. In other words, I would follow the evidence.

What I would NOT do, is insist to anyone who will listen that the damn rose is red! It would be an unjustified belief at that point, and NOT a rational pathway to the truth. Or, at least as close to the truth as possible.

Sorry for the rambling...[emoji15]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge - by LadyForCamus - February 2, 2016 at 11:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7742 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3948 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2681 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 62764 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 48270 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1896 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6032 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 18094 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12732 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7272 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K