Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I Got My New Computer Today
So I Got My New Computer Today
undefined

And I'm back on the old one because it won't write what I type and won't let me go back and edit?

WTF?

undefined

undefined
RE: So I Got My New Computer Today
What do you mean by "New"? Second-hand or out-of-the-box new?

How and where did you buy it? Warranty?

Cordless keyboard? Battery? Tried another keyboard?

Some specs would be nice. What OS?

I think you probably need to get it a bit past that point before third hand internet help can be effective. But if you want to hit me up for tech advice, feel free. I've been working with computers longer than I care to share, as it would date me. But I've been giving advice on IRC for over ten years, and building my own computers for 15.

Good luck. I know it can be very frustrating until something clicks, but you'll get there.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Brand new...as in just built to specs. It works fine, it accessed the site perfectly, but when I typed my original message what came up on the board was "undefined." I clicked "Edit" and it won't allow me to "edit."

I wondered if you couldn't be signed on from 2 computers at once so I shut the old one down and tried again but still "undefined."

It won't be a problem until I shut the old one down for good in a couple of days.

undefined
What web browser are you using? Do you have the same problem on other sites?
(June 13, 2012 at 11:31 am)Tiberius Wrote: What web browser are you using? Do you have the same problem on other sites?

Firefox. I'll try another board later.. I'm out and using my cell phone right now.
undefined

Okay, Divi Tiberio, to answer your question, yes, it works on other forums.

http://archiesforum.europefreeforum.com/...html#p9827

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewto...f=8&t=3172

Obviously, it is not anything to do with the keyboard/mouse as it clearly picked up the Thread Title which was typed on the same keyboard as the message.

For some reason, and I have already cleared the cache and the cookies, it is not reading the text entered into the message box and calls it "undefined."

But this seems to be the only board that it is happening on.

Trying it on Internet Explorer.

And this seems to work which brings up the question of what the fuck suddenly went wrong with Firefox.

Trying it on Firefox with all add-ons disabled.

(June 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: undefined

Okay, Divi Tiberio, to answer your question, yes, it works on other forums.

http://archiesforum.europefreeforum.com/...html#p9827

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewto...f=8&t=3172

Obviously, it is not anything to do with the keyboard/mouse as it clearly picked up the Thread Title which was typed on the same keyboard as the message.

For some reason, and I have already cleared the cache and the cookies, it is not reading the text entered into the message box and calls it "undefined."

But this seems to be the only board that it is happening on.

Trying it on Internet Explorer.

And this seems to work which brings up the question of what the fuck suddenly went wrong with Firefox.

Trying it on Firefox with all add-ons disabled.

Hmmm....if its AdBlock I hope you people understand that I don't love any of you enough...well, maybe Alei... to give up AdBlock for.

Adblock re-enabled.

So it isn't AdBlock.

(Looks like "god" let the jesus freaks down again!)

I disabled the other two.

Looks as if I'm back in business.

"Hey. jesus! Blow it out your ass!"
By jove, you debugged yourself.

Well done.

I haven't seen that in a non-techie for quite a while.

What are the names of the two disabled addons?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Yeah, it's weird that two addons messed with our site alone. I would like to test them myself.
I guess Min used just the old empirical method of trial-and-error. Still way better than praying Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple computer! zebo-the-fat 8 679 September 22, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Is anyone else having this problem today? Brian37 10 988 May 4, 2022 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  So I got bored today and bought a couple of used servers popeyespappy 10 1812 May 4, 2019 at 8:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Could we teach a computer to lie? Mechaghostman2 8 594 October 27, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever feel like eating your computer? paulpablo 9 1118 October 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What computer do you have? paulpablo 67 11166 September 29, 2016 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Computer memory and storage dyresand 22 3222 June 29, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Any computer nerds here? Hard reboots abaris 37 7159 March 31, 2016 at 7:57 am
Last Post: rado84
  Time to build a new computer ... Aractus 34 6367 August 14, 2014 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Nine
  The Computer Thread wolf39us 45 10326 July 1, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jaysyn