Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deism
Deism
I've been thinking a lot lately about there being a god who doesn't are about us after creation. I just don't understand the implications of this position; the Deistic position.

What does it actually mean for there to be a god if it doesn't get involved with us at all? Also, how does the Deist's life vary from that of an atheist, apart from the obvious difference in belief in a deity?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Deism
God is not malevolent,

God is not even incompetent,

He is just lazy.

But, seriously, I guess his plan is so divine all he needed to do was create the universe for everything else to follow, he doesn't need to get involved.
Deist Paladin is your best source on this.
(October 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Deist Paladin is your best source on this.

Yeah, I was thinking of PMing one of our resident Deists, but since there's at least a couple, I thought maybe a thread would be better so that they can collectively answer my queries.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Deism a "cop out"? Aegon 42 6438 October 30, 2016 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12704 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Deism vs Religion (Non-guidance vs guidance). Mystic 21 3848 March 1, 2016 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  NOMA and Deism vs. the Material World Michael Schubert 11 4016 September 7, 2013 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  An argument against Deism. Mystic 4 2448 May 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Deism for non-believers FallentoReason 99 39729 June 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Leadership, Deism vs Religion/Islam... Mystic 0 1496 June 25, 2012 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Mystic