Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An argument against Deism.
An argument against Deism.
What is blameworthy requires an ability to have avoided the blameworthiness or else it's not blameworthy.

Now perhaps it's an axiomatic truth, that if God did exist, then the purpose of being able to avoid blameworthy actions, is so that we do.

And in this case, the possible non-blameworthy humans, are of a sublime rank higher than blameworthy humans.

But there is something more to it. Society to function needs organization.

The way societies always function is that they look to leaders to lead them and form a consensus around them.

Perhaps it's an axiomatic truth, in the presence and knowledge of possible non-blameworthy humans, that they are the most worthy to lead humanity.

The reason obviously is that they would be of the sincerest intentions in leading them with a benevolent intention, since it would be blameworthy to lead them out partial lust of power. Furthermore, they would be the humans in which power doesn't corrupt them.

Now that being said, if it's the purpose of morality to act upon it, and the purpose of blameworthiness is to avoid it, then it seems to follow it's probable that such humans existed.

On the other hand, if no such humans existed, it seems it calls to question, of whether avoiding blameworthiness was ever really possible. If it was not possible to avoid, it follows there is no blameworthy actions as well, which would make morality a delusion as well.

That being said, what would be expected of such humans if they existed? Would they be silent? How would they prove their position and rank without sounding deceiving and selfish?

It seems it really is God that can manifest these people and that it would be wrong to have us not follow such leaders.

Perhaps, this is a proof that either religion or atheism is the truth, and that deism is highly problematic.
RE: An argument against Deism.
Sorry old bean ....but you are not making any sense.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm going to blame you doing drugs for this thread...
(May 7, 2013 at 10:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Sorry old bean ....but you are not making any sense.

Whew! I thought it was just me with my mind numbing depression not following it. You're a life saver, Kichi.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm)apophenia Wrote:
(May 7, 2013 at 10:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Sorry old bean ....but you are not making any sense.

Whew! I thought it was just me with my mind numbing depression not following it. You're a life saver, Kichi.

Rest assured. Seems like we're all having a problem understanding the OP.

Maybe MysticKnight can rephrase the OP so we can discuss his arguments?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Deism a "cop out"? Aegon 42 6424 October 30, 2016 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12671 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Deism vs Religion (Non-guidance vs guidance). Mystic 21 3846 March 1, 2016 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Oncological Argument against the existence of God Alex K 49 11599 December 25, 2015 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  NOMA and Deism vs. the Material World Michael Schubert 11 3995 September 7, 2013 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Best Argument Against God Neo-Scholastic 16 5047 May 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Deism FallentoReason 3 1644 October 26, 2012 at 12:28 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Deism for non-believers FallentoReason 99 39721 June 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Leadership, Deism vs Religion/Islam... Mystic 0 1494 June 25, 2012 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Easy argument against the Bible Don Bonbon 1 1888 December 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Old Seer