Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:06 am

Poll: What's your bent?
This poll is closed.
I am a scientist, or planning on becoming one.
25.71%
9 25.71%
I am NOT a scientist, nor do I plan on becoming one.
60.00%
21 60.00%
I am NOT a scientist, but I do work in a very scientifically-dependent field.
14.29%
5 14.29%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific Atheists
Scientific Atheists
I've just started noticing after returning here that a lot of you don't seem to require a great deal of "meaning" in your life. That's fine, lol. I'm just trying to figure what gets you through the day. My theory is that a lot of you think very scientifically and therefore do not yearn for meaning as much, mostly for knowledge, whereas many other people like me yearn more for wisdom and insight.

So I'm wondering, how many of you are scientists or planning on becoming one? OR how many of you work in a very technical field that requires a good deal of scientific knowledge?

I look forward to the accumulation of responses. Smile
RE: Scientific Atheists
I'm kinda in an in between place here.

I'm going to school for nursing and judging from all the science classes I have to take, yeah, my field is a scientific field, especially biology. That being said, my mom was a nurse for years and I went to work with her a lot. Nursing doesn't look like science that much.

So I dunno. Do with that as you will, I guess.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Yeah... something along the lines of nuclear fusion plasmas and tomography of those suckers.... leaning to programming in data acquisition systems.
(January 14, 2013 at 9:56 am)AthianGuildmaster Wrote: I've just started noticing after returning here that a lot of you don't seem to require a great deal of "meaning" in your life. That's fine, lol. I'm just trying to figure what gets you through the day. My theory is that a lot of you think very scientifically and therefore do not yearn for meaning as much, mostly for knowledge, whereas many other people like me yearn more for wisdom and insight.

Atheists might think with their brains, but they have a heart too. It's the combination that gets me through the day. Lol.
(January 14, 2013 at 10:53 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Atheists might think with their brains, but they have a heart too.

Some do, some don't. Keep in mind that the only thing we have that holds us together as a group is that we all disbelieve in a God. There are stupid atheists and there are asshole atheists out there. For example.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXSn2vvN3N0
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
That's quite an asshole indeed.
Well my degree is in history, but I actually have never used it for anything. I don't really work all that much in a given year, I think people who are defined by their job are living rather shallow lives. We all can have whatever meaning we like in our life.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Quote:I'm just trying to figure what gets you through the day.

Living beats dying. Unlike the theists we have not concocted an eternal celestial party to attend after we drop dead.

Although, as party's go I think the Norse Valhalla has it all over the xtian heaven. Who wants to sit around kissing jesus' ass for eternity?
I'm not a scientist nor do I plan to become one. Though I do value evidence and logic as any skeptical person would do.

I see no real reason why there should be a meaning to life, no evidence to support an objective meaning to life, and the thought of "life", "it", "everything", having no actual meaning does not phase me one little bit. It simply "is" as far as I can tell, and here we all are living it.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Well, I'm not an atheist, a scientist or a professional. Though I've always been very interested in science.

My main hobbies (besides atheism) are philosophy and study of the human mind. I think discussions about meaning in life can get hamstrung on definitions, as I think many people interpret the question of meaning to refer to objective meaning, or meaning that comes from outside one's self. Much like the question of objective versus subjective morality, there are differing views on where meaning can come from, and how. Some will suggest that either morals or meaning which isn't objective isn't "true meaning/morals" — that the idea of personal, chosen meaning is an oxymoron.

My personal belief is that human existence has meaning, but that it's neither objective in the usual sense, nor subjective in the usual sense (as being a product of one's subjectivity). My belief is that meaning, human meaning, is like a Kantian category: our thinking already presupposes it; we are embedded in a dimension of [life] meaning as a consequence of the way our minds work. Just like we can't imagine existing in two dimensions or four, only three, we can't think an existence in which there is no "meaning" dimension. And what is commonly referred to as meanginglessness is likely more a positively felt absence of meaning; if a person has no sense of meaning, what would the person feel the absence of? No, you can have fulfilling meaning, depressing meaning, dissatisfying absence of meaning, but in all these cases the dimension of meaning exists and has attributes. (There are reasons for this, imo, but I'm not going to go into my theories.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6768 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2203 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 60004 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 46322 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67600 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17730 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12480 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7073 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism sswhateverlove 315 45170 September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist