Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest
Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest
I am living in a right-wing dogma enriched jewish community over the Green Line in Israel, I thought I'd reach out to like minded thinkers - those who don't believe what all of my neighbors believe! I am not a radical, meaning I don't try to fix other people to believe like me.

I also don't stand out from the others who have beards, wear black, have head coverings, and fringes. But I also don't believe in a deity, and if I did, he wouldn't care about all of that anyhow. So it would never occur to anyone in town to ask me if I believe or not.

I still go to my daf yomi lectures (a page of Talmud learning a day) and learn with a couple of friends, but I see it through an obvious different set of eyes. I still find it intellectually stimulating, just not a secret oral law as some hold it.

I came into this way of thinking about a month ago, so it's still pretty weird, especially given where I live and to whom I am married. I have broached a few possibilites with my wife, but while she doesn't mind me being a bit of an apikoris she will interrupt if I go across the line, so it's not something that I can discuss with her, well, maybe only a tiny bit from time to time. I'm only 60, so I have some time.

My languages are Hebrew, Aramaic, and English. I am originally from the USA, but have lived here for many years, not because I believe that there is some Divine Right for me to live here, but because I fell in love with my wife, and this is where she has lived and will continue to live.

So yeah, I straddle the line, continuing to live life normally, and shaking out the cobwebs where I can. I am interested in seeing if this Forum will be useful.

All the best.

E. Gross
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
RE: Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome, my friend.

Sometime, in order to survive, we must put forth a front that does not reflect the true self.

I do not envy the position in which you find yourself. Stay strong.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Shalom.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hello! My ancestors probably ................................

Well, ...

I guess this joke would be inapropriate here.
Hello.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Howdy!
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  O-Oh Athiest-Kisha, notice me B-Baka! SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 10 2462 October 10, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Hi from an Aussie Athiest Eclipse 17 2002 February 13, 2016 at 7:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3049 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest? Cheese-Is-Christ 26 5034 October 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends! Chemelonique 25 7617 July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Another Athiest Reporting In theotherone 7 1993 December 21, 2011 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Former Athiest clipse26i 40 13790 July 25, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Athiest Evolutionist Jem12 10 3703 June 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: eric209
  Lutheran, drunk athiest, God, christian, non-religious, voice of God bjhulk 30 11601 February 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5990 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus