Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism
Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism
Hi, I'm 21 years old junior in college. I haven't believed in a God for years, and this year I finally told two people. Not telling anyone/talking about it for so long was hard. I told my best friend, who is a Christian, but she accepts me for me and it doesn't bother her.

Anyways, I've been dating my boyfriend for over a year and just recently told him I dont believe, while drunk. Not the smartest move, but anyway he freaked out and told me he does, definitely does blah blah. Haven't talked about it since, what should I do about that?? We never really talked much about religion until that night.

Also, should I ever tell my parents? They are Christians, don't go to church to often but definitely very Christian. They drag me to church sometimes and I HATE it, literally can't stand it. Any thoughts on this? Im afriad it willl break my parents heart.
RE: Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism
:Welcome:

Yes, for the parents, when you are not financially dependent. So, they do not drag into the church. Your parents should have the understanding of you making your own choices as an adult.

BF, hmm not sure, it could become an issue. It was an issue with my last relationship, but that does not mean it will.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Hiya and welcome to AF! ^_^

It's never easy coming out, but you know the situation best. If you think that your parents can handle it, tell them. If they can't, don't talk about religion with them, and if they try to drag you off to church, politely decline.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(June 28, 2013 at 1:12 am)wower032 Wrote: Hi, I'm 21 years old junior in college. I haven't believed in a God for years, and this year I finally told two people. Not telling anyone/talking about it for so long was hard. I told my best friend, who is a Christian, but she accepts me for me and it doesn't bother her.

Anyways, I've been dating my boyfriend for over a year and just recently told him I dont believe, while drunk. Not the smartest move, but anyway he freaked out and told me he does, definitely does blah blah. Haven't talked about it since, what should I do about that?? We never really talked much about religion until that night.

Also, should I ever tell my parents? They are Christians, don't go to church to often but definitely very Christian. They drag me to church sometimes and I HATE it, literally can't stand it. Any thoughts on this? Im afriad it willl break my parents heart.

Again, this never ceases to amaze me. I'm assuming that you are American based on my experience of these forums if nothing else.

If you were to come and live here in England, make a few friends and then, after you pluck up the courage, tell them that you were an atheist the reaction you would receive would be underwhelming to say the least, generally along the lines of "OK", "So what?", "Yeah, so am I" etc. etc.

The fact that there are 'civilised' countries in the world were being an atheist is something you have to keep to yourself for fear of reprisals and judgement still baffles me :S

Welcome to the forums also Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome

Around here there are alot of catholics, but things usually don't get to that level. Enjoy the forum, mabe you find solace around here.
(June 28, 2013 at 1:12 am)wower032 Wrote: Also, should I ever tell my parents? They are Christians, don't go to church to often but definitely very Christian. They drag me to church sometimes and I HATE it, literally can't stand it. Any thoughts on this? Im afriad it willl break my parents heart.

Much tougher to break hearts than you'd think, sometimes annoyingly so. But you obviously care for them so let it drift back to them slowly. When they hear of it, tell them what you told us .. shielding them from heart ache yada yada. Rather than disown you they may hug you. (Check their hands first for knives.)
Welcome!
Europe may be a political and economical mess, but mentalities have evolved to the point where a person's religiosity is mostly a curiosity... people just don't care about it, as long as you don't want to do any harm to them.
Guten Abend
Hi from the UK.

I'd echo Dragonetti's point: while you're still dependent on your parents, you need to be more politically sensitive to their feelings than once you're standing on your own two feet. If you think the repercussions of telling them would be too much for you to handle, it's probably best if you keep them in the dark.

Unless you're one of those families which thrives on conflict in which case, fill your boots!
Sum ergo sum
(June 28, 2013 at 6:28 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome!
Europe may be a political and economical mess, but mentalities have evolved to the point where a person's religiosity is mostly a curiosity... people just don't care about it, as long as you don't want to do any harm to them.

I care about it. I care that even in the UK, there is still a proportion of mentally deluded people that live in lala-land. Not only that, but they advertise this by sticking the fish symbol on the boot of their cars or hanging rosary beads from their rear view mirror.

It really annoys the fuck out of me.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nice to be here! Istvan 7 738 March 19, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I am new but think I have the best argument for atheism GodlessGirl 26 6102 May 6, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Jrouche
  Nice to meet you. LuisDantas 28 2562 November 1, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Back as a friend, nice until picked on Godscreated 24 6483 June 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Hola, Nice to Meet You Seraphina 35 4534 May 23, 2016 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hi, nice to be here. Phosphorescent Panties 48 5580 April 4, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello everyone. I've finally worked out... FebruaryOfReason 19 1940 February 6, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Finally i can disprove fundamentalist christians Rokkein 13 2575 December 12, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello All...nice to be here Kitty Galore 36 4075 December 10, 2014 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Would love to talk with atheists Kipon 25 3224 May 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Mystical