Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do We Need Laws?
Do We Need Laws?
Some time ago one of our precious theists told us that we are indebted to the Mosaic Law for a decent, civil society. In response a couple of our brightest atheist informed him that they didn’t need laws for they are good at heart and wouldn’t hurt a flea even if there were no law against such.

Now while I concur completely with the idea that we owe nothing to the Mosaic Law, a Johnny-come-lately up-start as far as civility is concerned, I question the idea that we don’t need any sort of law.

Any individual may not need a law telling them not to kill, steal or destroy, but if there were no laws for anyone, how will we keep others from doing such things to us. Granted, the United States has more laws and more people in some kind of custody than any other nation, so it would seem that the laws don’t keep people from doing anything they want to do. But, and that’s a big BUT, how will we redress actions done against us if there are no laws making those actions a punishable crime? Without laws, people will resort to family feuds and banditry. Am I saying that humans are basically bad? No I think humans are basically good. I think that a system of anarchy could work for a year or two, until somebody decides to get greedy. Until somebody decides that might makes right. Then there will be the domino effect with those who can exacting their own justice and those who can’t either banding together or just being helpless victims.

We see this in the inner city. When the crime rate drops, the politicians start saying oh we don’t need all these police. To save their jobs, the cops start under policing areas, allowing and maybe even encouraging crime to soar. Then the people start begging for Marshall Dillon to come in and shoot first ask questions later.

There have to be laws and there has to be the just application and enforcement of those laws.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Do We Need Laws?
If we didn't have laws, I'd either be out of work or overworked. I can't tell which. Either way, I say we keep 'em. ... Some of them.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Saying you don't need laws to be moral is certainly not the same as saying there should be no laws. A basic understanding of human behavior and a little bit of historical knowledge is all it takes to know that's an absolutely absurd idea, so I doubt there are relatively too many people that actually advocate such a thing.

And I have to disagree with you on humans being basically good. I think it's more of a 50/50 split.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If there were suddenly no laws, I don't think I'd change anything from how I behave now. How many people that's the case for, I'm not sure. It would be amazing if one day laws weren't needed, but I don't think that day has come. I'm not sure it ever will.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
People are flawed so we certainly need laws and unfortunately, law-enforcement. And certainly, civilization owes no debt to the character who taught us not to covet our neighbor's ass.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Of course laws are needed for a functioning society.

(July 22, 2015 at 10:19 am)AFTT47 Wrote: People are flawed so we certainly need laws and unfortunately, law-enforcement. And certainly, civilization owes no debt to the character who taught us not to covet our neighbor's ass.
Right! I shouldn't go to jail just because I live in the same neighborhood with a guy who has a cute ass.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Do We Need Laws?
Basic laws - Yes
A law for everything- No
We need laws. The type and amount should/is determined by the society. What is sorely lacking is the equality of enforcement.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yes...because far too many people are asswipes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1003 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work. onlinebiker 203 10336 August 26, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 4835 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1605 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Right to Work laws in America Joods 25 2459 April 18, 2018 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Laws Are No Better Than The Fuckheads Who Enforce Them Minimalist 2 617 April 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Voter ID laws and Marriage Heywood 33 5892 November 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Open Carry Laws Heywood 6 2160 May 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Nine
  48 laws of power art of seduction 33 strategies of war ect nintendo048 9 2368 March 31, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: nintendo048
  Russia embraces religious intolerance with draconian blasphemy and anti-gay laws Big Blue Sky 139 61302 July 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut