Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheating website hacked and customer data released.
Cheating website hacked and customer data released.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/1...BN20150819

Quote:
Love lives and reputations may be at risk after the release of customer data from infidelity website Ashley Madison on Tuesday, a dramatic move likely to rattle users' attitude towards the Internet.

Hackers dumped a big cache of data containing millions of email addresses for U.S. government officials, UK civil servants and high-level executives at European and North America corporations late on Tuesday, the latest cyber attack to raise concerns about internet security and data protection.

I'm curious to get peoples moral take on something like this. Even though I try to be a philosophical social libertarian which says that people's private lives should be private, there is a very base part of me that loves this. If you are too chickenshit to talk to your spouse about wanting to sleep with other people, then fuck off. Anybody stupid enough to sign up for something like this, esspecially high ranking government officials, deserves what they get.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Cheating website hacked and customer data released.
My thread on this very subject Smile

https://atheistforums.org/thread-34887.h...ey+madison
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 19, 2015 at 3:16 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: My thread on this very subject Smile

https://atheistforums.org/thread-34887.h...ey+madison

oops, you know I just checked off topic to see if a thread had been made and didn't think about news. Feel free to delete this thread or whatever.
Quote: I'm curious to get peoples moral take on something like this.

One bunch of sleazebags releasing info on another bunch of sleazebags which they stole from a third bunch of sleazebags.

I'm not so sure that "morality" has anything to do with any of it.
I like your thread better, for some reason, even though it's about the same thing. I don't have a problem with it being opened again in a different setting, asking for different takes on the subject.

But sadly though, I don't have much to say about it other than John Oliver did a great job covering it in Last Week Tonight.
(August 19, 2015 at 3:30 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: I like your thread better, for some reason, even though it's about the same thing. I don't have a problem with it being opened again in a different setting, asking for different takes on the subject.

But sadly though, I don't have much to say about it other than John Oliver did a great job covering it in Last Week Tonight.

I don't watch TV, is there a link or something? Yeah, I guess it is a different angle, because you have two conflicting moral points of view. One: people's personal lives should be personal, even when it comes to cheating. I bet many people who rejoice in something like this thought that Bill Clinton's personal life should have been left alone. Well what's really the moral difference?

The second though, there is just something in your gut that makes you feel like these men and women deserve to be found out. Not just because of the immorality but because of the stupidity of it all. How could you do something so stupid?
Well, it's more of a light take on it than anything, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxOEOba8s0
Now that I think about it, maybe some hacker got cheated by the spouse with the help of this site.

That or they just chose it because they thought it immoral. It's gotta make you feel kind of queasy that nowadays righteous hacker groups decide on their own what is immoral and what isn't - given that they have so much power.(I mean it's pretty much O.K. when they hack a terrorist group like ISIS but doing this is kind of wrong since they can't know how many lives they destroy with an action like this - the discovered cheaters mariages and families get pretty much decimated after this, the employees from that company could lose their jobs and so on...

And then again, cyber security not being improved on might be at fault too.
(August 19, 2015 at 4:49 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: Now that I think about it, maybe some hacker got cheated by the spouse with the help of this site.

That or they just chose it because they thought it immoral. It's gotta make you feel kind of queasy that nowadays righteous hacker groups decide on their own what is immoral and what isn't - given that they have so much power.(I mean it's pretty much O.K. when they hack a terrorist group like ISIS but doing this is kind of wrong since they can't know how many lives they destroy with an action like this - the discovered cheaters mariages and families get pretty much decimated after this, the employees from that company could lose their jobs and so on...

And then again, cyber security not being improved on might be at fault too.

Yeah, it is interesting how much power hacker groups have when they are basically just random people with good computer skills.

However I don't blame them at all for destroying marriages, I blame the people who cheated. If you went outside the bounds of your marriage it's your fault for doing it, not somebodies fault for finding you out.
(August 19, 2015 at 3:36 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: ...

The second though, there is just something in your gut that makes you feel like these men and women deserve to be found out. Not just because of the immorality but because of the stupidity of it all. How could you do something so stupid?

Yes.  It is immoral AND stupid.  If you do things online, you should not consider any of that actually private.  It may seem that way for a while, but that is more illusion than reality.  There are so many places where your actions can be accessed; in your computer, in your ISP, at the site you are dealing with, and every computer in between through which the data passes.  If any one of those is hacked, your information is now in someone else's hands.  And in the case of something like this, I believe the normal payment method is a credit card, so there is the credit card company that can be hacked as well.  When you leave a trail a mile wide, you should not be surprised if someone becomes aware of your actions.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The RationalWiki website. Jehanne 2 441 October 26, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Amazon vendors cheating. Gawdzilla Sama 11 2149 August 31, 2017 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Court Jester
Exclamation Data Retention & Internet Privacy Aractus 12 4003 April 6, 2016 at 8:17 am
Last Post: bradhaddin81
  I've been on this website a year now... ReptilianPeon 8 1980 February 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  The best way to dump your cheating girlfriend Napoléon 219 22905 December 1, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Oh, wow, and no cheating. Foxaèr 52 5978 September 30, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  View my Website. ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 64 6964 September 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  What type of customer are you? Foxaèr 14 2304 June 10, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: lunafreespirit
  I'd like to share this website with you. CandyCaneChild 18 4036 November 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Is this a UK based website? Brian37 35 9055 July 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman