Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants and the Square Cubed Law
Giants and the Square Cubed Law
So according to the Square Cube Law, when the size of an object doubles, the surface area of something is increased by 4 times, and the volume (and mass) of something is increased by 8 times. 

Meaning that the literal interpretation of giants in the bible obviously couldn't exist. If a 6 foot 200 lb. human were to double his size and keep the same shape, he'd have 4 times the muscle power to move 8 times the weight. So, he would be 12 feet tall and weigh 1,600 pounds, and he'd have half his original strength to do it. And that's just doubling his size. Fundies are claiming that giants were far bigger than that, and that would just be impossible. They'd collapse under their own weight. This is why Hollywood style giant ants could never exist. If a human were to successfully grow that size, their legs and feet would have to look like that of an elephant's, and their spine and neck and everything else about them would have to be completely changed. By the time all the changes were made, they wouldn't look human.

So for any of the religious who might be reading this, is it time to re-evaluate your religious beliefs yet? Mathematics has just destroyed the fundie 'Murican literal interpretation. 

So instead of it being a 50 foot Paul Bunyan styled giant, could it be that because the average human back then was of a shorter height (about 5'6,) that when an occasional person did grow to 6 or maybe even 7 feet that they were considered giants? I don't know if there's ever been a human in that time period to grow to such heights, but it seems far more rational to me than just saying there were these mythological giants.
RE: Giants and the Square Cubed Law
Maybe they are fractal giants...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

They are imaginary.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Obviously people were just short back then! Homo Habilis were about 3 feet 4 inches tall. So six foot tall would be a Giant to them! See it all fits silly wabbit.
The 900 foot tall Oral Roberts Jesus was a metaphor.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We have a local kid in my area who's just over seven feet tall (and doesn't play basketball), so very tall people aren't out of the question.
The hadiths say that Adam was 90 feet tall.
90 child feet?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Oh yeah, I remember my maths teacher in college talking about this, and how it effectively limits how big living creatures can be.

But really, giants are one of the more believable things in the bible.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 23, 2015 at 4:27 am)ignoramus Wrote: 90 child feet?

I'm still working on 900 foot oral.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion and the law robvalue 16 1464 September 22, 2018 at 2:25 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Zhuan Falun (Turning The Law Wheel) EnergyGem 72 6995 May 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Square-circles Vs. God The Reality Salesman01 79 11054 March 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: daver49
  Debunking atheists on christians not following the law of moses Rokchan 42 10473 October 29, 2014 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Sharia Law - "She's buried chest high" Gooders1002 13 3734 November 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Despite baby dying after getting herpes, Orthodox rabbis say they’ll defy law. CapnAwesome 22 9246 September 24, 2012 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  The law of nature. shesadri 2 1232 June 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: shesadri