Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Efficacy of Prayer
The Efficacy of Prayer
http://atheists.org/blog/2011/09/12/pray...-hypocrisy

Quote:But, the reality is that these needs are not met because of divine intervention or providence, but because the prayer requests were made known to other humans. Through the camaraderie that surrounds their common belief, fellow believers are called into action. Donations are made, people show up with hammers and plywood or a box of clothing magically appears on a doorstep.

This is not god, people. I venture to say I would be less cynical about the whole process if it were genuine altruism. But it’s not. The same results occur when Atheists band together to help our fellow humans out.

Quote:Blind faith is what causes an individual to ignore the sheer abundance of statistical data that prove the utter ineffectiveness of prayer, either by itself with respect to the human condition, or in toto with reference to natural disasters. There is a scientific explanation for most of the “miraculous answers” to prayers, and what cannot be explained is simply just unknown and does not mean it is supernatural. It takes a huge contortion of logic to reconcile a “loving and just god who hears and answers prayers” with the millions of faithful believers who continue to endure unimaginable suffering every single day.

Quote:Prayer is a perfect example of doing something for oneself and calling it helping others. It’s the ultimate form of hypocrisy. This has been proven time and time again and will not change until people realize that two hands engaged in works are far more effective than two hands clasped in prayer
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: The Efficacy of Prayer
What?! Prayer is a useless waste of time??!

shocking.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Hey, prayer works. If you pray to Google, it will answer you!

Next you're going to tell me that my magic tiger repelling stone doesn't do anything. Sheesh!

Well, if prayer doesn't work people can still count on homeopathy and cupping. I've heard that trepaning can make people healthier; you just have to remember to put tape on the drill bit so it doesn't go in too far.
Rhiz, your tiger blood probably would serve you better.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Of all the things mentioned here, trepanning is the only one that actually does have viable uses, though some people have it done as an elective surgery, which is utterly fucking weird. If I am in a position where my brain is being crushed by fluid, I say drill away. What's really fucked up is lobotomies.
(September 13, 2011 at 11:21 am)8BitAtheist Wrote: Hey, prayer works. If you pray to Google, it will answer you!

...and take your money!
Just like any religion racket.
[Image: prayer-nothing.png]
I sure like my conversations with god. He hears all my heart's desires and I hear what he has to say by reading his holy words .... out of a really old book .... but it's really great .... accept for some of the beginning ... and the end .... and some of the middle ... and II Chronicles ... what am I supposed to do with that part?? ... and am I really supposed to kill my neighbor if he doesn't keep the sabbath? .... Joshua? yikes .... II kings has some bears in it .... they kill children .... is that bad? ... alright, some parts I skip ... I still like the part about ... you know that stuff that directly applies to my life ... what? .... it's ok .... it helps me make decisions about ... sometimes ... I .... err .... some decisions ....

..... jesus loves me damnit! shut the fuck up!

EDIT: Apparently, I need to work on my sarcasm typing. I thought I was laying it on pretty thick. hmm.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(September 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I sure like my conversations with god. [...]

You talk to that sadistic little weiner?
Why? The motherfucker's got absolutely nothing to say! Might as well talk to a wall...! WAIT...! So the Jews had it right all along...!
Omigod...

ROFLOL

(Being right came at a high price)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5349 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7562 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1039 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5617 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 5915 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 62764 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Prayer Athena777 181 16211 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  is collective prayer any more effective? ReptilianPeon 65 8256 June 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  imprisonment, rioting, killing - over PRAYER drfuzzy 15 3998 October 31, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My thoughts on prayer dyresand 25 5925 October 14, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda