Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christian looking to understand athiests
RE: christian looking to understand athiests
(August 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 12:50 pm)msid Wrote: well its been great discussing with everyone i now understand your point of view a little more. 
i am a 14 year old pastors daughter and i know if i mentioned that earlier i probobally would have been shot down immediately. 
thank you for the discussions and i will be praying for all of you Heart

For what purpose are you intending to pray for us, and why is it necessary that we are aware of the intention? Won't it work - for a given value of 'work' - if we don't know about it?

But this way we can exercise our free will to be grateful or to close our hearts forever to God and all that.  Whatever.
God has worked in my life, too! My uncle got dementia and I got his Toyota. Praise the Lord!!!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 18, 2015 at 1:00 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 2:25 am)msid Wrote: hello,  i am a born again christian who is looking to understand and discuss your reasons for being an athiest. i am NOT here to argue or change your mind.
People can be atheists as a result of general ignorance; however you will find that many fight against rational faith. They do so for many reasons: previous experiences with unloving Christians, exposure half-truths and lies about the Gospel, or just a general desire to justify sinful sensuality and the conveniences of selfishness.

Oh keep back.  Whatever will I do.  Rational faith is once more at my door.  I am so frightened.
(August 18, 2015 at 5:50 pm)Alex K Wrote: God has worked in my life, too! My uncle got dementia and I got his Toyota. Praise the Lord!!!

You the Man, God.  But listen God, no matter what my stepson prays for, remember we're tight, right?  Right??
(August 18, 2015 at 5:53 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 5:50 pm)Alex K Wrote: God has worked in my life, too! My uncle got dementia and I got his Toyota. Praise the Lord!!!

You the Man, God.  But listen God, no matter what my stepson prays for, remember we're tight, right?  Right??

Well, it depends... what kind of car you got? Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 18, 2015 at 4:02 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 3:48 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: You know how to make me laugh.

Don't encourage him! He's insufferable when he gets on one of his "atheier than thou" kicks. No one believes less. No one is more skeptical. No one can blaspheme better. Fuck. With Stimbo, it's one atheist dick measuring contest after another.

Which I always win, naturally. I learned long ago that it's not just for stirring my coffee with. The security in Starbucks told me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You owe me a tablet screen -_-
(August 18, 2015 at 5:57 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 4:02 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Don't encourage him! He's insufferable when he gets on one of his "atheier than thou" kicks. No one believes less. No one is more skeptical. No one can blaspheme better. Fuck. With Stimbo, it's one atheist dick measuring contest after another.

Which I always win, naturally. I learned long ago that it's not just for stirring my coffee with. The security in Starbucks told me.

Well at least your's will fit in the cup to stir with.  I find mine just pushes all the coffee out and then the cup just ends up getting stuck on the head.
(August 18, 2015 at 1:00 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 2:25 am)msid Wrote: hello,  i am a born again christian who is looking to understand and discuss your reasons for being an athiest. i am NOT here to argue or change your mind.
People can be atheists as a result of general ignorance; however you will find that many fight against rational faith. They do so for many reasons: previous experiences with unloving Christians, exposure half-truths and lies about the Gospel, or just a general desire to justify sinful sensuality and the conveniences of selfishness.

Nothing rational about "faith".

I've been exposed directly to the scriptures and there's absolutely nothing compelling about them.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(August 18, 2015 at 5:48 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: But this way we can exercise our free will to be grateful or to close our hearts forever to God and all that.  Whatever.

I read that "whatever" at the end there as an "amen." It works. I like it. Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 2088 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 24558 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4941 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 7732 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 13241 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist" ReptilianPeon 15 4291 April 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8129 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13522 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  JW looking for clarity Won2blv 44 7976 April 19, 2015 at 8:08 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 36090 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01