Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 4:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence: The Gathering
RE: Evidence: The Gathering
(August 24, 2015 at 6:32 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Gerd Ludemann was not an atheist?

I assume you're meaning Gerd Lüdemann, who's a protestant theologian teaching at a protestant university in German. Even more so, since Craig refers to him, which is probably where you got his name.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm)abaris Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 6:32 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Gerd Ludemann was not an atheist?

I assume you're meaning Gerd Lüdemann, who's a protestant theologian teaching at a protestant university in German. Even more so, since Craig refers to him, which is probably where you got his name.

I mean the atheist Gerd Ludemann who has debated William Lane Craig on the resurrection.
(August 24, 2015 at 7:17 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Catholics don't worship Mary

ಠ_ಠ

[Image: IMG7700.jpg]

This is my hometown, Matera Italy. Every year, on July 2, there's the feast of the Madonna della Bruna (Our Lady of... I really don't know how to translate it).

the police are there because the float gets attacked by the people at the end of the procession, it's fucking nuts

But it's OK, Catholics don't worship Mary.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could quote a buttload of other feasts in which Mary is celebrated, prayed to and worshipped as the patron saint of places all over Italy. Bite me.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I mean the atheist Gerd Ludemann who has debated William Lane Craig on the resurrection.

So, make your case. Point me to him. I only know the theologian and professor at a protestant university Gerd Lüdemann. Shunned by Craig, that much is true, but not an atheist.

And hopefully you know that his book in question is called "Der große Betrug" - the big fraud, refering to the resurection and general flaws and forgeries in the gospels.
(August 24, 2015 at 6:39 pm)Lucanus Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 7:17 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Catholics don't worship Mary

ಠ_ಠ

This is my hometown, Matera Italy. Every year, on July 2, there's the feast of the Madonna della Bruna (Our Lady of... I really don't know how to translate it).

the police are there because the float gets attacked by the people at the end of the procession, it's fucking nuts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could quote a buttload of other feasts in which Mary is celebrated, prayed to and worshipped as the patron saint of places all over Italy. Bite me.

No need to do all that.

Simply provide a single quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church which explains to me, a Catholic, how and why I should worship Mary.

Alternatively, perhaps you could lay out a convincing argument that ALL prayer is necessarily worship. Can you do that, pray tell?

A third choice would be to explain that there are no real distinctions between dulia, hyperdulia and latria.

Do you have a preference?
(August 22, 2015 at 9:28 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(August 22, 2015 at 7:49 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Why are we wasting time with this idiot? He is obviously operating under the influence of a blow to the head with a heavy blunt object.
[...]

Because to us - it's just a discussion, with almost nothing at stake. Randy on the other hand is desperately fighting for his salvation and the eternal life he's been conned into believing in - and failing at it. It's morbidly fascinating - like watching a venomous spider trying to climb out of the bath-tub.

(August 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm)abaris Wrote: I assume you're meaning Gerd Lüdemann, who's a protestant theologian teaching at a protestant university in German. Even more so, since Craig refers to him, which is probably where you got his name.

I mean the atheist Gerd Ludemann who has debated William Lane Craig on the resurrection. 

Lundmann is indeed and atheist.  Like Ehrman, he became one through historical study of the New Testament.   It's a common story.   Baptists and other evangelicals warn seminarians not to go on to get higher degrees in theology for fear the will lose faith.   I find that rather telling.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 24, 2015 at 6:40 pm)abaris Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I mean the atheist Gerd Ludemann who has debated William Lane Craig on the resurrection.

So, make your case. Point me to him. I only know the theologian and professor at a protestant university Gerd Lüdemann. Shunned by Craig, that much is true, but not an atheist.

And hopefully you know that his book in question is called "Der große Betrug" - the big fraud, refering to the resurection and general flaws and forgeries in the gospels.

What is your point, abaris? That there are no atheist scholars who admit that Jesus existed other than Ehrman? That's a losing argument as you can confirm for yourself with a quick Google search.

As for Ludemann's atheism, do a search for his name here: http://atheist-seeker.blogspot.com/2005/...rs_07.html
(August 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Lundmann is indeed and atheist.  Like Ehrman, he became one through historical study of the New Testament.   It's a common story.   Baptists and other evangelicals warn seminarians not to go to get higher degrees in theology for fear the will lose faith.   I find that rather telling.

Jenny, who are you talking about? Randy talked about Gerd Ludemann, which I assume is the english spelling of Gerd Lüdemann. Famous for - as I said above - his book "Der große Betrug", which is anything like an apologetic book. He's on Craig's hitlist.

So did you simply misspell or is there another one?
(August 24, 2015 at 6:46 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 6:39 pm)Lucanus Wrote: ಠ_ಠ

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No need to do all that.

Simply provide a single quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church which explains to me, a Catholic, how and why I should worship Mary.

Alternatively, perhaps you could lay out a convincing argument that ALL prayer is necessarily worship. Can you do that, pray tell?

A third choice would be to explain that there are no real distinctions between dulia, hyperdulia and latria.

Do you have a preference?

Fancy words to avoid looking at the substance: saints here are worshipped just like the Roman gods were, barring the sacrifices. Praying to the image or statue of a saint *is* worship, no matter how you try to rationalise it

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/worship

Also, Hail Mary?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 24, 2015 at 6:49 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: What is your point, abaris? That there are no atheist scholars who admit that Jesus existed other than Ehrman? That's a losing argument as you can confirm for yourself with a quick Google search.

So you mean Gerd Lüdemann after all. Would do you good if you actually informed yourself on what he actually wrote. I may be wrong about his atheism, but his book certainly isn't an apologetic work, since he's arguing for the gospels being wrong. Assuming you're refering to his book "Der große Betrug", published in 1998.

My point is, you're presenting to us what you consider to be the safe side. And you quite obviously came up with Lüdemann by looking at and knowing Craig without doing a background check on what Lüdemann's writing is actually about.

And as for his being expelled in your link - wrong again. He left there in 2011, aged 65, as professor emeritus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4845 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 38918 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29094 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20475 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6129 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 245269 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 137358 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11369 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2938 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Magic: The Gathering KevinM1 12 4404 July 21, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: abaris