Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists interpret bible verses
RE: Atheists interpret bible verses
(October 8, 2015 at 10:39 am)Losty Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 10:35 am)Crossless1 Wrote: That's because those of us who have them don't talk about them except in select company.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-37005-po...pid1075537

*Sigh*

Yes, we are aware of Bambi's indiscretion. I can't go into details. Suffice it to say that he won't make that mistake again. We "handle" such things with extreme prejudice.
(October 8, 2015 at 10:48 am)Jenny A Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 2:41 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: I'm saying most Christians won't agree with the 'belief only in Jesus for their salvation'. Sorry I wasn't clear, but many sects of Christianity preach a different gospel than the one preached by the bible. They take away from the cross by adding their own works like repenting from their sins (repentance gospel) and being a good disciple of Christ (lordship gospel) which is all pride. The bible states clearly that the only thing to be proud about is what Jesus did and how GOd saved us.

I know many Christians wouldn't agree with you. And they are reading the same Bible though perhaps in a more accurate translation than the King James. Mostly the problem is the Bible is far from clear. Jesus talks in parables which are by there very nature unclear. Frankly, the Gospels in the Bible don't agree. The synoptics aren't too far from each other doctrinally, but the Jesus in John is so far from the Jesus in the synoptics he might as well be on another planet. And Paul's letters are somewhere else again.

But you still aren't getting to my question. If belief in Jesus is all that's necessary for salvation and that's what Jesus says (when he isn't preaching works which he also does) before he is crucified, why is the crucifixion necessary? And why did baptism work before Jesus died?

Most Christians are fake
I can find many contradictions in bible other than the KJV
NIV for example takes out whole verses and changes words like saying hell is separation from God or that hell isn't flaming fire. God is the one who burns people in hell.
the gospel is so clear
any work done by us are like filthy rags to God
it is faith that accounts for righteousness and it is consistent in the old and new testament

(October 8, 2015 at 10:03 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 2:41 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: I'm saying most Christians won't agree with the 'belief only in Jesus for their salvation'. Sorry I wasn't clear, but many sects of Christianity preach a different gospel than the one preached by the bible. They take away from the cross by adding their own works like repenting from their sins (repentance gospel) and being a good disciple of Christ (lordship gospel) which is all pride. The bible states clearly that the only thing to be proud about is what Jesus did and how GOd saved us.

beware of perversions of bibles in modern day retranslations. I believe there is a hidden agenda to change verses to refute biblical doctrines. Read the KJV bible.
Don't be deceived. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Believe on Him alone and you will be saved.

Daniel, we're only talking about the verse from the KJV that you provided. Are you just playing around?

the verse you gave is different from the one I gave. the word difficult
(October 8, 2015 at 10:58 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 10:48 am)Jenny A Wrote: I know many Christians wouldn't agree with you.  And they are reading the same Bible though perhaps in a more accurate translation than the King James.  Mostly the problem is the Bible is far from clear.   Jesus talks in parables which are by there very nature unclear.   Frankly, the Gospels in the Bible don't agree.  The synoptics aren't too far from each other doctrinally, but the Jesus in John is so far from the Jesus in the synoptics he might as well be on another planet.  And Paul's letters are somewhere else again.

But you still aren't getting to my question.  If belief in Jesus is all that's necessary for salvation and that's what Jesus says (when he isn't preaching works which he also does) before he is crucified, why is the crucifixion necessary?  And why did baptism work before Jesus died?

Most Christians are fake
NIV for example takes out whole verses and changes words like saying hell is separation from God or that hell isn't flaming fire. God is the one who burns people in hell.
the gospel is so clear
it is faith that accounts for righteousness and it is consistent in the old and new testament

Numb nuts, you do realize you're using Bible passages to try to proselytize to a group of people for whom the Bible is not a normative or authoritative source, right? In fact, many of us think it's downright silly and embarrassing that there are still adults who buy into this garbage. Persuade me that Yahweh exists and you might have the basis for a real conversation. Barring that, fuck off.
(October 8, 2015 at 2:50 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 2:41 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: beware of perversions of bibles in modern day retranslations. I believe there is a hidden agenda to change verses to refute biblical doctrines. Read the KJV bible.

Dude, seriously?

You're really asserting that "modern day retranslations" are a "hidden agenda", rather than a better understanding of how to translate ancient Greek and Hebrew into English (since we now have found more ancient documents than they had at the start of the 17th century, for the purpose of understanding the idioms and word usage of those writers), but that the translators of the Authorized King James  Version did not?!

ROFLOL

Rocket went into admirable detail about the history of the KJV, but sometimes a simple list works too. 

[Image: post-4955-King-James-Bible-wrong-QLX7.jpeg]
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(October 8, 2015 at 11:02 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 10:58 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: Most Christians are fake
the gospel is so clear

Numb nuts, you do realize you're using Bible passages to try to proselytize to a group of people for whom the Bible is not a normative or authoritative source, right? In fact, many of us think it's downright silly and embarrassing that there are still adults who buy into this garbage. Persuade me that Yahweh exists and you might have the basis for a real conversation. Barring that, fuck off.

you think its stupid and I think its the words of eternal life. the conversation is real and if you think its garbage then you shouldn't be offended. I take no offence of Muslims telling me ill go to hell if I don't convert to islam. read a KJV bible and you'll find out
(October 8, 2015 at 11:13 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:02 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Numb nuts, you do realize you're using Bible passages to try to proselytize to a group of people for whom the Bible is not a normative or authoritative source, right? In fact, many of us think it's downright silly and embarrassing that there are still adults who buy into this garbage. Persuade me that Yahweh exists and you might have the basis for a real conversation. Barring that, fuck off.

you think its stupid and I think its the words of eternal life. the conversation is real and if you think its garbage then you shouldn't be offended. I take no offence of Muslims telling me ill go to hell if I don't convert to islam. read a KJV bible and you'll find out

I've read the Bible and remain profoundly unimpressed. What's your point?
(October 8, 2015 at 11:09 am)drfuzzy Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 2:50 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Dude, seriously?

You're really asserting that "modern day retranslations" are a "hidden agenda", rather than a better understanding of how to translate ancient Greek and Hebrew into English (since we now have found more ancient documents than they had at the start of the 17th century, for the purpose of understanding the idioms and word usage of those writers), but that the translators of the Authorized King James  Version did not?!

ROFLOL

Rocket went into admirable detail about the history of the KJV, but sometimes a simple list works too. 

that's the reason why you reject Christianity?
(October 8, 2015 at 11:13 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: you think its stupid and I think its the words of eternal life. the conversation is real and if you think its garbage then you shouldn't be offended. I take no offence of Muslims telling me ill go to hell if I don't convert to islam. read a KJV bible and you'll find out

Do you have an actual argument? Or is it just "it's true tho!" Dodgy

And who said anything about being offended? We're just tired of self-righteous people like you thinking you can just take over our own community to preach to us, without any respect for the people you're trampling all over. If we're offended at anything, it's at your behavior, not the ridiculous stories that are causing you to misbehave.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Ok, we think it's stupid and you think it's "the words of eternal life" (whatever that means). One of those views may be correct, while one is - or maybe both are - wrong. How might we set about discovering which is which?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 8, 2015 at 11:17 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:09 am)drfuzzy Wrote: Rocket went into admirable detail about the history of the KJV, but sometimes a simple list works too. 

that's the reason why you reject Christianity?

No, this would be one of literally hundreds of reasons.

Now, with this new found knowledge of the book you live your entire life by, doesn't it make you question it?  At all?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 467 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2260 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Favorite Bible verses? FatAndFaithless 3 1211 July 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  What do Atheists believe the Bible as? TheCarlisle 138 69322 July 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The atheists bible. downbeatplumb 18 5173 April 21, 2011 at 4:04 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office? ssorj 14 5400 January 20, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Dotard
  Evidence Verses Faith Daystar 32 19196 December 3, 2008 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet