Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three)
RE: Atheism. The UNscientific belief (part two)
(October 15, 2015 at 4:00 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: i just did a google search and copy and pasted a link that listed the top 10 miracles [...]

Wow. You put A LOT of effort into your research, I see... /smh
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(October 15, 2015 at 1:11 pm)SofaKingHigh Wrote: Can anyone study God?

Short answer?

Wait for it................

WAIT for it...........

Come on wait, this is going to be an important piece of information, it's about Gawd so it's gotta be pretty damn important right?

Answer coming up....

No.

See Little Prik you learn something new every day... today you learned that you're full of shit. What will be tomorrow's lesson?
(October 15, 2015 at 3:50 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(October 15, 2015 at 3:36 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: what evidence exactly would you believe? what would convince you that God exists ?

Any god that wants us to believe he exists, would know what kind of evidence each of us would accept. 

Funny, how the only evidence theists seem to provide is: ancient texts, anecdotal, personal experience of believers, claims of miracles, and flawed philosophical arguments.

Why doesn't your god step up?

God has stepped up for some people which is why we believe . fairies havent stepped up so we dont believe in them . why do you think we believe in God?
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
Oh I see. God only steps up for people who are already credulous enough to believe in that shit.

How convenient Thinking
(October 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:
(October 15, 2015 at 3:50 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Any god that wants us to believe he exists, would know what kind of evidence each of us would accept. 

Funny, how the only evidence theists seem to provide is: ancient texts, anecdotal, personal experience of believers, claims of miracles, and flawed philosophical arguments.

Why doesn't your god step up?

God has stepped up for some people which is why we believe . fairies havent stepped up so we dont believe in them . why do you think we believe in God?

Or maybe the fairies haven't stepped up because people don't believe. Think Tinker Bell. All you have to do is clap your hands and say, "I believe in fairies." Confirmation bias will take care of the rest.

Now how about your explanation of the scientific method?
(October 15, 2015 at 3:58 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Maybe we should back up for a moment. Jenny, in your own words (no external links or quotes), what is the scientific method?

the scientific method is the ability to test something and duplicate the test and verify that it isnt something else through further testing ( but first taking an interest in the study and believing and forming a hypothesis about the subject )
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
Man, I love being ignored...
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 15, 2015 at 4:19 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:
(October 15, 2015 at 3:58 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Maybe we should back up for a moment. Jenny, in your own words (no external links or quotes), what is the scientific method?

the scientific method is the ability to test something and duplicate the test and verify that it isnt something else through further testing ( but first taking an interest in the study and believing and forming a hypothesis about the subject )

Do you understand the importance of falsifiability in scientific investigation?

How is a god falsifiable?
(October 15, 2015 at 4:01 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:

Excellent question.

I was going to post something similar earlier on after she posted something to the effect, "Well, they've never been proven to be hoaxes". 

Which I'm sure she has no clue what the problems with that statement are.

well if someone is assuming that something is a hoax i was wondering where that assumption comes from its a valid question . was it proven to be a hoax ? or is it a personal judgement that it must be a hoax ?

(October 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: [...]why do you think we believe in God?

Because your parents told you to. And their parents told them. And so on - until some point in the past, when some people with rocks/swords/guns walked up to one of your ancestors and said "Believe in god, or we will kill you and your family."

Because you're confused by science, which is vast, complex and only truly understood by a handful of people, in small parts, that each takes a lifetime of commitment to research, while the "god" umbrella gives you an illusion of understanding everything, without bothering with the "details".

Because you're afraid of death, so any idea that suggests you won't really die seems more acceptable than cold, hard facts.

Because you're bored.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2941 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6858 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2899 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 3125 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5977 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 88748 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3601 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5389 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4841 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26156 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic