Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into
Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into
As atheists, we've walked away from the fairy tales of holy writ. But there are still two myths that I hear a lot, and it bothers me to no end.

Myth The first
Life without god is meaningless
Actually, it’s the Abrahamic theists who render life meaningless. They tell us that none of the thing that happen on earth matters because god has a plan. For them, this life is just a meaningless stepping stone to the next world.

One reason we buy into this myth is because we've let theist define "meaning" in the first place. Of course, they define it in a way that supports their paradigm. It’s not until we turn away from religion that we’re free to create meaning in this life instead of waiting for some pie in the sky afterlife that will make our present suffering fade away.

Myth The Second
Only god provides a reason to be good
Again, an atheist has a stronger reason to be good than a theist.
Unlike a theist, an atheist can’t say well, god will forgive me.

An atheist is judged by three things: 1. His own conscience, 2. Society and 3. The physical realities of the world.

When society criticizes an atheist for bad behavior, he can’t psyche himself into believing he’s being persecuted for his faith. I’ve heard Christians say that while they know god loves them they can’t forgive themselves for the things they’ve done. The strongest faith in the world can’t pray against nature. The atheist already knows this and takes into consideration when planning an action.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into
I have never bought into either of those myths. Never needed a god to find meaning or morality.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I don't think any hypothetical Creator (in any possible world) can create morality or meaning from nothing let alone anything else being capable.

This alone (if true) proves both meaning and morality are eternal.
I don't think I have the right currency. What's the coinage in Bizarro World?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 3, 2018 at 10:17 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: As atheists, we've walked away from the fairy tales of holy writ. But there are still two myths that I hear  a lot, and it bothers me to no end.

Myth The first
Life without god is meaningless
Actually, it’s the Abrahamic theists who render life meaningless. They tell us that none of the thing that happen on earth matters because god has a plan.  For them, this life is just a meaningless stepping stone to the next world.

One reason we buy into this myth is because we've let theist define "meaning" in the first place. Of course, they define it in a way that supports their paradigm. It’s not until we turn away from religion that we’re free to create meaning in this life instead of waiting for some pie in the sky afterlife that will make our present suffering fade away.

Myth The Second
Only god provides a reason to be good
Again, an atheist has a stronger reason to be good than a theist.
Unlike a theist, an atheist can’t say well, god will forgive me.

An atheist is judged by three things: 1. His own conscience, 2. Society and 3. The physical realities of the world.

When society criticizes an atheist for bad behavior, he can’t psyche himself into believing he’s being persecuted for his faith. I’ve heard Christians say that while they know god loves them they can’t forgive themselves for the things they’ve done. The strongest faith in the world can’t pray against nature. The atheist already knows this and takes into consideration when planning an action.

I think you misunderstand when an atheist says "life is meaningless". 

It is in the context of a non cognitive 13.8 billion year old universe life is meaningless. But life most certainly DOES have meaning here and now while we are alive.

Not sure what you are getting at with the second one. I don't know many atheists who would argue with you on the second one.

(June 3, 2018 at 10:45 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I don't think any hypothetical Creator (in any possible world) can create morality or meaning from nothing let alone anything else being capable.

No, it is not. If meaning and morality always stayed the same blacks would still be slaves.
I don't know about any other atheists but I've definitely not bought into either of those.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
You spelled 'theist' incorrectly in the OP. And btw, the myths are two thousand plus, not two.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(June 3, 2018 at 10:45 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I don't think any hypothetical Creator (in any possible world) can create morality or meaning from nothing let alone anything else being capable.

This alone (if true) proves both meaning and morality are eternal God does not exist as a being in his own right apart from us.

Fixed that for you.  Wink

Typical theistic close reasoning:

I think fart is sweet, therefore stench is holy.
Yeah I don't buy either of those.  Just because some religitard says something does not mean we accept it.  In fact, the opposite is true.  Those people are always assholes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10440 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14622 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1461 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4465 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42998 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11362 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 11982 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2200 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 922 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17027 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0