Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helpful hints for christians
RE: Helpful hints for christians
Quote:Stimbo wrote:
And not, as I predicted, for being a cunt.

So according to Stimbo am being a “cunt”.
On the other hand
according to God am being..
·        Christs follower
·        Faithful servant
·        Advising other’s
·        Obeying Gods word
(October 14, 2015 at 8:29 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Since both Rythym and Rocket think sieves are a sufficient analogy, then I guess I must understand how either of you apply it. If I wanted to sort small objects I suppose I could design a seive tailored to  what features for which I wanted to sort, round or otherwise.

I am actually quite comfortable with that analogy. I've never had an issue with the idea, commonly held by evolutionary biologists who also happen to be Christians, that this world's life forms are the way they are because the Creator made the world in a way that would produce such myriad species by random chance based on a tailored (teleology) set of parameters (the sieve).
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 14, 2015 at 8:29 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Since both Rythym and Rocket think sieves are a sufficient analogy, then I guess I must understand how either of you apply it. If I wanted to sort small objects I suppose I could design a seive tailored to  what features for which I wanted to sort, round or otherwise.

The sieve in the analogy is the environment in which the organisms evolve. The environment could be purposefully designed to produce certain features, but what evidence is there that it has been designed to produce these results? Light is a common element in the environment of many organisms, thus many organisms evolve visual organs. It is not a uniqueness about the environment that produces convergent evolution, but rather the commonality of specific environmental challenges. How does this point specifically to design or teleology?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
A good point. I have no issue with the teleological argument, in the sense that it's a "sure, why not?" kind of thing, if you want to believe in such a creator... however, I find it unnecessary in the extreme. Defining a Creator in a way that is indistinguishable from random chance operating on randomly-set laws of physics means that God is simply a reverse-extrapolation from the way things are, effectively a tautology.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 13, 2015 at 10:29 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: And what makes you believe you understand evolutionary theory any better than any other layman unless of course you're not a layman? You're certainly never given me pause to think that you have any special insight.  But I'll humor your simplistic analogy with an equally simplistic one. Five arrows strike the center of a target. Chance or skill?

Could be either, but I'm not sure why it's relevant, unless you can make that analogy stick to evolution.  I have a feeling you're going to be drawing a big, wide circle around arrows already on the wall and then conclude that it was skill or chance....when in fact it is neither.  Stop stalling, jackass.  We already know that you think the arrows hit the target, we already know that you think it's skill........ what we don't know is why, and that's what you've been asked, repeatedly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 14, 2015 at 8:34 am)bro Wrote:
Quote:Stimbo wrote:
And not, as I predicted, for being a cunt.

So according to Stimbo am being a “cunt”.
On the other hand
according to God am being..
·        Christs follower
·        Faithful servant
·        Advising other’s
·        Obeying Gods word

You are a cunt, you were like i listen to god  not you all i was saying do not try to be preachy to atheists
because it won't go anywhere.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If There Was A HELPFUL God… BrianSoddingBoru4 49 3633 February 8, 2024 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8193 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32392 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52620 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 16166 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 10012 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris