Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
(December 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: I would contest that the simplest explnation is that it is not that the supernatural is by definition hidden to science, but that the supernatural doesn't exist.

Why, in your opinion, is that the simplest explanation?

Because the alternative explanation demand something(s) for which there is neither evidence nor need, and insist that thing be just a particular way for which there is again neither evidence nor need. Any explanation which is not rooted to the greatest degree practical in need and evidence is more extravagant and complex by definition than one which is.
(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: Near parallels of proto-methodological naturalism evolved in cultures without any conception of your god or anything remotely comparable.

Example and evidence please.

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: It is possible for certain religious concepts to initially encourage methodological naturalism from the top down as a means, in its unwarranted confidence, to further support itself; just as it is also possible for the belief in Santa Clause to encourage the systematic mapping of the North Pole to enable you to visit.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that scientists like Bacon developed methodological naturalism to further support his belief in God? If not, I guess I just don't see your point.

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: But even if they did so encourage the development of useful things, that is no proof for the validity of their tennants, indeed it is not even an argument for such.

Indeed. And I don't think I ever argued any such thing. You commented that "no theory of god has produced much without surreptitiously resorting to methodological naturalism". My point was that Bacon's theory of God produced methodological naturalism and, therefore could be considered to have produced all of what methodological naturalism has produced as well as methodological naturalism itself. It would then seem to follow that at least Bacon's theory of God produced more than methodological naturalism itself has produced.

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: The things are useful by themselves. The case for methodological naturalism is complete without the assumptions of that religion, just as the case for systematic mapping of north pole is complete without the assumption of santa clause.

Maybe so, but it seems that methodological naturalism did not come to be apart from certain assumptions about God. (Unless you can provide the evidence asked for above.)

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: That argument is already maximally risible ...

Why? I find it curious that you would hold a position that Bacon's thinking that lead to methodological naturalism is somehow laughable whereas the result of that thinking, methodological naturalism, is superior and usable to prove his original thinking incorrect.

I love that, “14C in coal is probably produced”, they don’t have the slightest clue why it is there becaue their accepted paradigm can’t explain it. It’s also quite funny that they never tested for it in the first place because they knew there would not be any because they knew the coal was far too old to contain C14. It took a bunch of creationists to actually do the tests and find exactly what they predicted they’d find. So now the old earth crowd is struggling and thinking up these crazy un-observed occurrences to explain away the mysterious C14. However, if they argue too much for contamination they will essentially destroy radio-carbon dating because it could never be trusted from here on out. Find a date that doesn’t fit your paradigm, argue for contamination! That’s not science.

I also find it interesting that you will accept someone’s email over the validity of a eight year, multi-million dollar, peer-reviewed research project. At least we all know you are not objective about these matters.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:17 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote: I never said Creationists don't make predications! You have invented the goalposts to move all by yourself. I'll wait for you to revoke that. Sure Creationists make lots of predictions, mostly garbage: see Kent Hovind. He also has a lot of interesting theories; one which sticks in the mind explaining the formation of the polar ice caps from a comet impact. Brilliant! You remind me of him :-). What I actually said was:

"When you have done that could you tell us how superntural creation can be used to predict results as successfully as evolution does in its application in the fields of medical research and agricultural research?"

It has still not been answered, but hey take your time.
Nice, you pulled the old “guilty by association fallacy”. I am sure you are aware that Kent Hovind is not part of the mainstream Creation movement and the argument you mention has been refuted by AIG, CMI, and ICR. If you have to set up these straw-man arguments to feel smart, by all means continue. It’s not like no evolutionists ever have proposed ridiculous theories (afterall Darwin did believe cells were only bags of protoplasm and blacks were closer to gorillas than whites).

What does an actual mainstream Creation organization say about Hovind?

CMI says, “CMI’s scientists have no personal beef with Kent Hovind, though we have tried to persuade him for a long time to not have seriously discredited (and some fraudulent, like the Wyatt discoveries) arguments on his site, nor to link creationism with things like his esoteric notions on tax.”

So maybe you should try and make arguments that actually hold water.

Quote:I think what you meant to say was that evolution requires time to take effect, and to get to current bio-diversity a lot of time. I would agree with that. Thus when we look at the age of the earth it is good support that evolution did infact have enough time to take effect. c14 It is not strong evidence against the ages of coal seams as there are many other stronger indicators including the process of petrification, stratigraphy, well preserved fossilised remains of plants in the coal seams from amongst the matrix. For sure its an anomoly, but I'd rather wait for the research first, wouldn't you?

Huh? So when radiocarbon dating doesn’t support your paradigm it’s not reliable but when it does it’s the best thing on Earth?
Petrifaction does not have to require long periods of time (petrified teddy bears, toy cars, and fencing have all been found) so you should not use that as justification to ignore the obvious implications of C14 in Diamonds and Coal. Stratifying of soil and rock layers also does not require long periods of time, the Mt. St. Helens eruption laid down over 600 feet of sediment that was all stratified. So you should not use that as reason to ignore the obvious implications of C14 in coal and diamonds either.
Wait for the research? Well the research that found it was an eight year, multi-million dollar, peer-reviewed project. So when you actually say, “wait for the research”, you mean, “I’ll wait for the scientists who accept my paradigm to give me a reason to doubt the results” right? That’s not science.

Quote:No I can't see how they remotely provide evidence for creation. Just as the crocodile has a common ancestor with alligators and caymens, but in itself is relatively unchanged from the Cretaceous period. There is no proof of creation here. If someone found a living dinosaur tomorrow that would not prove creation. However if someone found humans remains in a Cretaceous sedimentary layer, then we would have some evidence disproving evolution, but not evidence supporting "YAHWEH did it".

Since you brought Yahweh up, how did He say He created animals? “Each after their kind”, so yes we’d expect to see many of the kinds of animals to be present very “early” in the fossil record, just like the early Chordates. Remember, fossilization is a very rare occurrence, so to use it as evidence that humans did not live alongside dinosaurs is not appropriate. After all, we know that coelacanths and whales live alongside one another and they have never been fond together in the fossil record. I think stronger evidence would be accepted historical sources such as Marco Polo and Josephus saying they saw large terrible lizards (dinosaurs) long before dinosaur fossils were discovered.

Quote: Are you an expert in evo-devo? How do you know this?

Well actually I am a professional in the scientific community, so that would make me more of an expert than you. That’s beside the point, observed mutation rates do not occur fast enough today to account for the significant levels of change in that “short” of a time period. In fact, that significant amount of change in organisms has never been observed to even be possible. We can intentionally select for traits for thousands of years but all the breeds of dogs are just as equally dogs, I assure you. So if you want to believe other-wise purely on faith go ahead, I already have my own faith though so I don’t need yours.

Quote: I would imagine she tested the result 17 times because scientists are skeptical, tend to care about the truth and be rigorous around validating it. I guess she was a little surprised as it is a unique find (at least thus far!). Bare assertion and incredulity on your part, to assume that she had it in for YEC. But how does it prove YEC? Again it demonstrates how petrifiction is not a linear process but varies with environment and conditions, although given the enormous timescales involved most dinosaur remains are fully petrified, whereas those from more recent strata are less so and for ancestral hominids are not petrified at all given they are 100-200k years ago.

They are only that rigorous when the data seems to contradict their paradigm. Trust me; she would not have done the test 17 times if she had found exactly what was expected, no soft tissue present. Mary is actually a Christian, so I do not believe she “has it out” for YEC, she is just not young Earth herself. However, since her amazing discovery, numerous other cases of soft tissue have been found once paleontologists started looking. So who knows, the majority of fossils looked at in the past may also have had it, it was never really looked for. I assure you though, soft tissue breaks down far too quickly for those fossils to be 65 million years old. A vile of blood left at room temperature is almost unrecognizable in a matter of weeks. Blood that is even preserved in blood banks couldn’t last for millions of years (the Red Cross only keeps blood for 42 days, plasma that is frozen only lasts a year). Like I said, it’s rather amazing soft tissue even lasted a few thousand years.

Quote: You are going to have to do a lot better than this rag-tail assortment to show evidence FOR creation. Still it is no surprise when you look at the stats. for Intelligent Design (creation by any other name; and before you argue with that - yes it is!)

Haha, oh the old ID= Biblical Creationism canard. Are there Biblical Creationists who are part of the ID movement? Only a couple. However, there are also agnostics (Dr. David Berlinski) and even scientists who believe in pan-spermia. So to paint them all with the Creationist brush is rather ignorant. I wish they were all YEC, but sorry they are not.

Quote: when 20m scientific papers were searched through a couple of years ago:
the keyword evolution appeared 115k times
the keyword intelligent design 88 times (yes eighty-eight and not thousands)
of the 88, 77 were in engineering journals
of the 11 remaining 8 were critical of intelligent design
the remaining 3 failed to get published in research journals

So? If I did a study that examined all the Creation Journals, I would not be surprised if the term evolution was never used in a positive manner. So I am not surprised Secular journals don’t publish articles that affirm the truth of Creation.

More guilt by association fallacy. It’s just as invalid here as it was the first time you used it. I love how Dawkins won’t debate actual Creation Scientists because he “doesn’t want to give them credibility”, but he will debate a bishop. So it’s obvious it’s not granting credibility he is worried about, it’s being publicly humiliated he is really worried about. The guy is a joke.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:39 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote: [

You just pulled a bait and switch with the definition of “Evolution”. Creationists believe in speciation through natural selection (a concept proposed by a creationist before Darwin by the way), they just don’t believe in common descent. So to say that the majority of creationists don’t believe organisms change over time is absurd.

(December 17, 2010 at 11:30 am)Thor Wrote: Have you ever had a tetanus shot? If so, I guess that demonstrates your idealism concerning the infallibility of scientists. Same goes if you have ever taken an aspirin. Or flown in a plane.

I do not believe scientists are infallible. They can get things wrong. And it is OTHER SCIENTISTS who expose bad science. So, I'll throw my lot in with the 99.5% of scientists who conclude that the Earth is over 4 billion years old. You can join the handful of kooks who want to believe in an Earth that is only a few thousand years old.

Again, your scientific ignorance seeps through. Scientific facts are not established by consensus in the scientific community. Remember, the consensus prior to Darwin was Creation, and you certainly don’t seem to believe that now do you?

Quote: Oh, so your conclusion that C-14 in coal and diamonds is evidence of a young Earth has been "peer reviewed"? Because that is what I was referring to. I am not refuting the work that found C-14 in coal and diamonds. What's "pretty lame" is twisting around my meaning. And in case you didn't notice, the article I referenced listed numerous sources.

The presence of C14 in both coal and diamonds does mean they are young. That’s why the old earth crowd comes up with these silly little stories about contamination because they also know what the studies truly mean. Why do you only trust radiocarbon dating when it fits your paradigm but not when it doesn’t?

Quote: I must also mention that YECs like you normally dismiss C-14 dating as being "unreliable". But here you want to use it as evidence of what you want to believe. If you're using it here, then you must also accept it as valid. In which case, C-14 dating is evidence that the planet is much more than just a few thousand years old. So which is it? Is C-14 dating valid or not?

C14 is not very accurate for determining the actual age of organic matter. This is because the original assumptions behind the method assumed the atmosphere was in carbonic equilibrium, which has since been disproven. However, these assumptions are still used today. So radiocarbon dating traditionally yields very erroneous ages when the actual age is known. Since it cannot really be used to determine an actual age, it can certainly be used to determine the maximum age possible when the minimal amount detectible is present which is about 50,000 years. This argument could very well be turned around on you, why do you think radiocarbon dating is reliable when it yields ages you like but not when it yields ages you don’t like? At least creationists admit that it should never be considered reliable (which is why they don’t accept the 40,000 year date for the coal), but can be used to disprove ages in the billions when it is found in organic matter.

Quote: Things don't need to be directly observed in order for us to make a reasonable conclusion as to what happened. You find a large boulder lying at the base of a cliff. No one saw the boulder fall. Is it reasonable to conclude that the boulder fell from the cliff above? Or should we think a deity placed it there?

Bad analogy, you would conclude that the boulder landed there because you have directly observed other boulders falling off of cliffs, so you are applying deductive reasoning to the situation. However, you have never observed natural carbon contamination taking place in coal or diamonds. The only reason you believe it must have taken place is because the evidence does not fit your paradigm. That is not deductive reasoning, and it is certainly not scientific. On a side note, maybe the boulder was moved there by a glacier, hence why historical sciences are not one hundred percent.

(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: So you accept the premise is true?

I don't know if I would go that far. However, I won't argue against it.

(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: Because I like beer and weed?

I'd been drinking with a mate for a few hours, had a few sessions, then came back and had a few more beers and sessions and did some stoned philosophy Tongue

That's one of the biggest reasons I like weed, I can continue to think about anything that I would be able to with seemingly no impediment and not often with markedly different conclusions (I blame the beers for my gaff above Wink ).

I'll admit I sometimes forget what I was about to do when I'm stoned, but that's fairly rare, in any case it's minuscule relative to the effects of other things as 'acceptable' as pain medication or alcohol or even a bad diet.

I suppose you have some opinion?

I have an opinion on just about everything. Big Grin In this case, I think getting drunk/stoned is a waste of one's time. But it is your time to do with what you will.

(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: That is not true, methodological naturalism deliberately narrows down the scope of investigation to natural causes, that assumption is at the foundations of repeatability, testability, falsifiability etc. Non-natural claims are none of the above.

I don't think narrowing down the scope of investigation to natural causes necessarily means making an assumption of metaphysical naturalism. So while I agree with you that "methodological naturalism deliberately narrows down the scope of investigation to natural causes, that assumption is at the foundations of repeatability, testability, falsifiability etc. Non-natural claims are none of the above." and I do not have a problem with that, I still disagree that methodological naturalism requires an assumption of metaphysical naturalism as you first proposed.

(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote:
Quote:I'm not sure how one would distinguish my position from yours, except possibly in the mindset of the scientist doing the work.

What position are you talking about here?

That methodological naturalism requires an assumption that nature behaves in a relatively consistent manner and not an assumption of metaphysical naturalism.
(December 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: Near parallels of proto-methodological naturalism evolved in cultures without any conception of your god or anything remotely comparable.

Example and evidence please.

Milesian school of the Ionian Pre-Socratic philosophy

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: It is possible for certain religious concepts to initially encourage methodological naturalism from the top down as a means, in its unwarranted confidence, to further support itself; just as it is also possible for the belief in Santa Clause to encourage the systematic mapping of the North Pole to enable you to visit.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that scientists like Bacon developed methodological naturalism to further support his belief in God? If not, I guess I just don't see your point.

The point is the role religion may or may not have played in development the scientific method does not bear on the validity of the tenants of the religion, now does this "antecedence" imply any relative merit.

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: But even if they did so encourage the development of useful things, that is no proof for the validity of their tennants, indeed it is not even an argument for such.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm)rjh4 Wrote: Indeed. And I don't think I ever argued any such thing. You commented that "no theory of god has produced much without surreptitiously resorting to methodological naturalism". My point was that Bacon's theory of God produced methodological naturalism and, therefore could be considered to have produced all of what methodological naturalism has produced as well as methodological naturalism itself. It would then seem to follow that at least Bacon's theory of God produced more than methodological naturalism itself has produced.

Methodological naturalism does not follow uniquely from Bacon's theory of god. Nor does christianity show any signs of converging upon the form that would produce Bacon's theory of god. Indeed the most aggressive strains of christianity shows quite the sign of the reverse. So to credit god or his religion with the result of one man's imagination is little short of rediculous.

If you are bogged down attacking an intractable math problem, and some lunatic shouts some nonsense which in the din of the room you misheard as a meaningful word that happen to give you inspiration, Then the equivalent of your theory of the antecednece of god to methodological naturalism would be for you to credit the lunatic's lunacy for your solution to the problem. And from this basis you might argue everyone should become a lunatic.

Using the Santa Clause example, the belief in Santa Clause could be said to have produced all of the art of cartography. But what does it say about you if you continue to believe in the physical existence of Santa Clause for that reason?

(December 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm)rjh4 Wrote: Maybe so, but it seems that methodological naturalism did not come to be apart from certain assumptions about God. (Unless you can provide the evidence asked for above.)

Things are not as they seem to you. See above.

(December 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm)Chuck Wrote: That argument is already maximally risible ...

Why? I find it curious that you would hold a position that Bacon's thinking that lead to methodological naturalism is somehow laughable whereas the result of that thinking, methodological naturalism, is superior and usable to prove his original thinking incorrect.

Perhaps you should look at the Santa Clause example again.

If the concept that a quality of a man's work does not in itself validate the cause that prompted him to perform the work, and his work could in fact prove the invalidity of the cause, is still too abstract, you might related to another example: Do you suppose the fact that Maya cosmology led directly to Mayan development of sophisticated algebra means Maya cosmology is therefore better than algebra? Do you see any obstacle in the algebra developed for the service of Mayan cosmology being incorporated into a system that can then be used to discredit Maya cosmology?
(December 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: So you accept the premise is true?

I don't know if I would go that far. However, I won't argue against it.

Oh come on that sounds like a complete cop out Tongue. Either the premises are sound and valid or they are not... Can you name a single methodology that has gathered more results? If not then you are epistemically unjustified in accepting any other methodology as the most effective.

Quote:
(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: Because I like beer and weed?

I'd been drinking with a mate for a few hours, had a few sessions, then came back and had a few more beers and sessions and did some stoned philosophy Tongue

That's one of the biggest reasons I like weed, I can continue to think about anything that I would be able to with seemingly no impediment and not often with markedly different conclusions (I blame the beers for my gaff above Wink ).

I'll admit I sometimes forget what I was about to do when I'm stoned, but that's fairly rare, in any case it's minuscule relative to the effects of other things as 'acceptable' as pain medication or alcohol or even a bad diet.

I suppose you have some opinion?

I have an opinion on just about everything. Big Grin In this case, I think getting drunk/stoned is a waste of one's time. But it is your time to do with what you will.

A waste of time? No more so than any other recreational activity and far less so than a great many as I can actually be productive while stoned.

Quote:
(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote: That is not true, methodological naturalism deliberately narrows down the scope of investigation to natural causes, that assumption is at the foundations of repeatability, testability, falsifiability etc. Non-natural claims are none of the above.

I don't think narrowing down the scope of investigation to natural causes necessarily means making an assumption of metaphysical naturalism.

That is exactly what it means. Have you ever seen a proposed test for something that did not involve measuring natural causes, or a time where an anomaly arises in data and the scientists have said "oh, that must just be one of the times where the universe isn't consistent as usual"?

Quote: So while I agree with you that "methodological naturalism deliberately narrows down the scope of investigation to natural causes, that assumption is at the foundations of repeatability, testability, falsifiability etc. Non-natural claims are none of the above." and I do not have a problem with that, I still disagree that methodological naturalism requires an assumption of metaphysical naturalism as you first proposed.

That's like saying "I'm going to investigate x and only look for information of x from a tiny portion (natural) of all the logically possible answers (supernaturalism+naturalism)"

If you have no way of measuring the non-natural or any way of determining the start of a causal chain was non-natural then you might as well be assuming that there is only nature.

Quote:
(December 17, 2010 at 11:14 am)theVOID Wrote:
Quote:I'm not sure how one would distinguish my position from yours, except possibly in the mindset of the scientist doing the work.

What position are you talking about here?

That methodological naturalism requires an assumption that nature behaves in a relatively consistent manner and not an assumption of metaphysical naturalism.
[/quote]

The scientist might not make the assumption of metaphysical naturalism, but the methodology is grounded in it. Unless you know of a way of measuring non-natural things with all the rigours of science then again, you might as well accept that the method makes that assumption.
You're a funny guy Statler...nothing new in your responses but they are getting hysterical. You love to pick out fallacies and then can't wait to stick you're own in, keep it up

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Kent Hovind is not part of the mainstream Creation movement

Is Ray Comfort? Oh please say he is.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: If you have to set up these straw-man arguments to feel smart, by all means continue. Maybe you should try and make arguments that actually hold water.

Oh the sweet irony...so maybe you should try and make arguments at all, and some FOR creation would be a great place to start

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: So when you actually say, “wait for the research”, you mean, “I’ll wait for the scientists who accept my paradigm to give me a reason to doubt the results” right? That’s not science

No I don't mean that, and yes it is science. The fact the you rush like an over eager puppy and want to say "look, look god did it", isn't that impressive.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Well actually I am a professional in the scientific community, so that would make me more of an expert than you

How do you know what I do? Oh and if you are a professional scientist, that is really scary. But then Kent was a high school science teacher too, teaching in his own school after getting a doctorate in "truthology" or whatever it was.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: I assure you though, soft tissue breaks down far too quickly for those fossils to be 65 million years old

Forgive me if I don't take you're assurance on this.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: ID= Biblical Creationism canard

Come on Statler we weren't born yesterday. Everyone knows what IDs agenda is. What is the difference between Creation Science and ID, apart from the fact ID are too scared to mention "God did it", just in case they frighten folks away? Berlinski wants a platform to vent his incredulity from...end of.

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: If I did a study that examined all the Creation Journals

Yes that would be useful, go for it! See how many times you get the keyword evidence (actually followed by some). You know what they say "if a job ain't worth doing, it ain't worth doing well".

(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: So it’s obvious it’s not granting credibility he is worried about, it’s being publicly humiliated he is really worried about

At least thats one interpretation. Another could be why give a PR platform to people who offer PR but no evidence. Mind you it could all be a BIG conspiracy. Next we will be arranging 'accidents' for 'Creation Scientists' and 'Design Theorists' to silence them and their pesky evidence.
(December 17, 2010 at 5:47 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(December 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: I would contest that the simplest explnation is that it is not that the supernatural is by definition hidden to science, but that the supernatural doesn't exist.
Why, in your opinion, is that the simplest explanation?
Because the alternative explanation demand something(s) for which there is neither evidence nor need, and insist that thing be just a particular way for which there is again neither evidence nor need. Any explanation which is not rooted to the greatest degree practical in need and evidence is more extravagant and complex by definition than one which is.
Chuck said it more eloquently that myself rjh4.

It seems to me to have a credible alternative you would need to establish that the supernatural necesarily exists and then also provide evidence of the effects of the supernatural in the natural world (and I have provided some examples of how this can be done). Until then it is a more complicated explanation as in itself it is no different from mysticism, magic, crystal healing etc.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
(December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: So? If I did a study that examined all the Creation Journals, I would not be surprised if the term evolution was never used in a positive manner. So I am not surprised Secular journals don’t publish articles that affirm the truth of Creation.

The purpose of peer reviewed scholarly journals are to be a crank filter, this works fine, unless the cranks are in the charge of the journal. In this case the so called creation science journals.

Why is it all the big shots in "creation science" insist on calling themselves Dr such and such or Professor so and so. Generally big shot scientists in other fields don't bother to say they are Dr such and such or Professor so and so.
undefined
(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Oh come on that sounds like a complete cop out Tongue.

If you say so.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Either the premises are sound and valid or they are not...

Well I agree with you there. But maybe I don't have enough information to be able to tell which it is.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Can you name a single methodology that has gathered more results?

I don't know. We haven't discussed how you are counting results, how you are evaluating the truthfulness of premise 2, etc. So I really don't know if I could do this or not. And I really don't think it necessary to get into all of that.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: If not then you are epistemically unjustified in accepting any other methodology as the most effective.

Maybe. But who said I did accept any other methodology as the most effective?

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: A waste of time?

Yes. A waste of time.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: No more so than any other recreational activity and far less so than a great many as I can actually be productive while stoned.

If you say so.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: That's like saying "I'm going to investigate x and only look for information of x from a tiny portion (natural) of all the logically possible answers (supernaturalism+naturalism)"

That is exactly correct. And what is the problem with that? Are you suggesting that the supernatural is not a logically possible answer? If so, why? Certainly methodological naturalism cannot help you determine whether or not the supernatural is a logically possible answer. Its basic assumption, according to you, is metaphysical naturalism which necessarily excludes supernature and, therefore, there is no possiblity of it (methodological naturalism) concluding the supernatural is a logically possible answer.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: If you have no way of measuring the non-natural or any way of determining the start of a causal chain was non-natural then you might as well be assuming that there is only nature.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: The scientist might not make the assumption of metaphysical naturalism, but the methodology is grounded in it. Unless you know of a way of measuring non-natural things with all the rigours of science then again, you might as well accept that the method makes that assumption.

That is why I said: "I'm not sure how one would distinguish my position from yours, except possibly in the mindset of the scientist doing the work."

(December 18, 2010 at 5:03 am)ziggystardust Wrote: Generally big shot scientists in other fields don't bother to say they are Dr such and such or Professor so and so.

That is certainly not my experience. I have been around plenty of PhDs in my work (all of whom would consider it an insult to be called a creationist). I have even supervised plenty of them. The vast majority use the title regularly and introduce themselves that way, etc.
(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Milesian school of the Ionian Pre-Socratic philosophy

I really was hoping for more of an explanation and citation of where I could look. Can you help me out a bit more?

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: The point is the role religion may or may not have played in development the scientific method does not bear on the validity of the tenants of the religion...

I think I already agreed with you on that.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Methodological naturalism does not follow uniquely from Bacon's theory of god. Nor does christianity show any signs of converging upon the form that would produce Bacon's theory of god. Indeed the most aggressive strains of christianity shows quite the sign of the reverse. So to credit god or his religion with the result of one man's imagination is little short of rediculous.

I guess I see your point.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: If the concept that a quality of a man's work does not in itself validate the cause that prompted him to perform the work, and his work could in fact prove the invalidity of the cause, is still too abstract, you might related to another example: Do you suppose the fact that Maya cosmology led directly to Mayan development of sophisticated algebra means Maya cosmology is therefore better than algebra?

Maybe. It probably depends on how one would define and evaluate "better", i.e., from what perspective.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Do you see any obstacle in the algebra developed for the service of Mayan cosmology being incorporated into a system that can then be used to discredit Maya cosmology?

No.
[Image: whelloffort.jpg]
Yay!
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1626 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Creationism Foxaèr 203 12150 August 23, 2020 at 2:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7274 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4882 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 3019 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5232 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Earth Glare_ 174 21709 March 25, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10751 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2056 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2399 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37