Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth
Earth
I am new on here and I was just wondering about something. I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this question so sorry if it's not.
My religious friend has recently started saying to me that the Earth is alive and that it is older than the universe. I asked him how this was possible and he just said "you wouldn't understand" because I'm not religious.
I've never heard this about the Earth being older than the universe so I was curious have any of you ever heard this before as it's new to me.
[Image: athsig.png]
RE: Earth
I've never heard that claim before. It makes about as much sense as nipples on a breastplate.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Glare_

This type of beliefs can be loosely classified as a subtype of New Age 'religion'. Among other things such beliefs may or may not incorporate distorted Eastern philosophical and religius views, UFOlogy, conspirology, astrology and other such things. Of course it's nonsence from the point of reason and science.
I am aware of the pagan claim that the earth is a sentient planet, but not that it is older than the universe.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Welcome to the forums.

Well, that is the most bullshit claim I heard all week. I'm not sure if I should be entertained or concerned.
(March 17, 2015 at 1:38 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: Welcome to the forums.

Well, that is the most bullshit claim I heard all week. I'm not sure if I should be entertained or concerned.

Well when he told me I was rather entertained and thanks
[Image: athsig.png]
Yeah. If someone makes a claim and then backs it up with "you wouldn't understand so I won't explain it to you," that's a clear sign that they don't know what the fuck they are talking about it, know this, and can't be arsed to even try to come up with an explanation.

Grounds for immediate derision.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 17, 2015 at 1:30 pm)Glare_ Wrote: I am new on here and I was just wondering about something. I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this question so sorry if it's not.
My religious friend has recently started saying to me that the Earth is alive and that it is older than the universe. I asked him how this was possible and he just said "you wouldn't understand" because I'm not religious.
I've never heard this about the Earth being older than the universe so I was curious have any of you ever heard this before as it's new to me.

Hand him a childrens book on our solar system. I recommend one from here or you can check out one from your local library. Tell him when he drops his childish views, you'll stop giving him childish books.

And Welcome
I'd spout off the most asinine shit imaginable if it meant that someone turned into my personal library gopher on account of it. Especially if they brought back picture books! - I can read those drunk like a pro.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 17, 2015 at 1:30 pm)Glare_ Wrote: I am new on here and I was just wondering about something. I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this question so sorry if it's not.

Well, it's new to me, too, but there's a new bullshit born every second, as they say.

Well, maybe if you see it like this: the earth is a bit over 4 billion years old. If you accept that but believe that the universe is only 6000 years old, you would get this result Big Grin

But seriously, the earth was formed 4.5 billion years ago from the leftovers of some supernovae. The universe as we know it dates back 13.7 billion years ago. There's not much of a debate.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4806 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5080 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10640 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Question for young earth creationists Jackalope 34 10050 November 17, 2011 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Companion Thread for: Question for young earth creationists Minimalist 26 5749 November 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd) Sam 358 267496 March 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  New Heaven and Earth (video) bjhulk 9 4497 February 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New Heaven and Earth (prophesies) bjhulk 8 4256 February 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How old is the Earth? Statler Waldorf 160 78937 November 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Lethe