Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witness Evidence
RE: Witness Evidence
GL compelling fiction to testify, Min, lol.  That reminds me of my favorite ancillary claim regarding eyewitnesses, actually.  

"If it didn't happen the way it says in scripture, there would have been so many people who knew that and they would have called bullshit"

-Not if there weren't any "witnesses" to these "events"  to quibble over details in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote: "If it didn't happen the way it says in scripture, there would have been so many people who knew that and they would have called bullshit"

The same is true of the Arthurian legends.
(November 19, 2015 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'd still like to cross examine one of the 500 fucking witnesses.

If the guy knew any number bigger than that, I'm sure there would have been more witnesses.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Sooooooo many testimonies are soooooooo weak, and some are outright lies and witch-hunts.
Yes, not all testimonies are equal. Some are weaker and some are stronger than others. And some people will lie, to get what they want. It's not about the truth, but about the results or conclusion (and they will normally have some kind of justification for it). We cannot believe every claim, but then I do not think it is right, to decide before hand, and irregardless of the evidence, what is believable or not. This is circular and not beneficial to finding the truth (it's simply restating what you believed a priori).

Sometimes the evidence may be inconclusive. It either does not provide enough of a picture of what occurred, or is not collaborated enough to rationally deduce what had occurred. This can be true of both physical or forensic evidence, as well as testimony. With this, we can remain skeptical (not making a claim either for or against). Or we may believe that an opposing claim is better supported and contrary to the given testimony, in which case I think it is reasonable to deny the opposing claim.

Many aspects of life (history) are not repeatable, and even if you can repeat something similar, it does not necessarily provide evidence, that it occurred that way before. It is wrong to require scientific repeatability to test claims outside of the category of science.

Lastly, as stated before; much of (at least my) scientific knowledge is based on the observation and testimony of others. I am looking at those who agree, and those who claim evidence contrary to the claim (others who can verify or falsify the claim). I look at the detail provided, and those who best explain why the believe, rather than just the conclusion. I also look for details that provide that they are knowledgeable and/or show they are capable of testifying to the observation. I do expect testimony to have reasonable differences, because of the reasons discussed. There are going to be different perspectives, and focuses; as well as some inaccuracies do to the limitations of memory talked about. But it should also verify and collaborate the general claims and events. Someone had mentioned a claim of a person being able to levitate. And yes; this is difficult to believe (I am skeptical of the claim from the start). However, if a large number of independent people, and even professional investigators all claim that they have verified and tested the claims, that it is not a trick and the person really can levitate at any place or time (eliminating prior setup). And if the claims of any doubters was weak, then I am going to believe the claim (at least tentatively). Even though it goes against my experience and believes of what is ordinary, I'm going to consider the evidence good, that this did occur. And even if it only happened once, if the witnesses are able to verify the claim to a proper degree, then I am going to tend to go with the evidence.
Here's the thing with many false claims: they are believed by stupid people. And here's the thing with people: many of them are stupid.

These two obvious statements, taken together, really should be an end to this thread.
(November 21, 2015 at 1:01 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Lastly, as stated before; much of (at least my) scientific knowledge is based on the observation and testimony of others.

Let's cut through the bullshit. Science leaves behind a trail of method and observation, which anyone that chooses to do so can replicate. If the findings are different, science leaves open the possibility of error, always welcoming correction. You are attempting to conflate this 'testimony of others' with the non-repeatable claims of superstitious ignorant ancients.

You're simply wrong. You can either admit your error or apologize to everyone for your intentional obfuscation. The only other alternative is for us to believe you are too fucking stupid to understand the distinction. The facts are plain; the perceptive truth is up to you.
Science is not based on anecdotes. This is just complete nonsense. If you really think this, you have no idea what science is.

As I suspected from the start, you want people to take seriously extraordinary claims based on no evidence except anecdotes.

You want people to be gullible. I have no need to declare any extraordinary anecdote to be wrong. All I need to do is ask for supporting evidence. If there is none, then I don't believe it.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(November 21, 2015 at 3:55 am)robvalue Wrote: Science is not based on anecdotes. This is just complete nonsense. If you really think this, you have no idea what science is.

As they say: "The plural of anecdote is not data."
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Indeed. There are plenty of very good explanations for why a group of people may report some seemingly impossible event. They are all vastly more likely than the event having actually occured as described.

Could they sometimes be true? Of course. But we need a method of determining which are true. The alternative is to believe all of them, and unless you're prepared to believe any bullshit me and my friends come up with, you're being a massive hypocrite.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, everyone has conceded that any particular anecdote might be true. But what use is that statement if you have no way of deciding which are true?

I suspect that what is really going on is RR is trying to reassure himself that believing extraordinary claims written in an ancient book is an intellectually respectable thing to do. Not even this explains why he only believes one ancient book though. The difference between a religious person and a sceptic is that the sceptic consistently applies the exact same criteria to every religion, while the religious person applies them to every religion except their own.

And as I've often said, I don't give a monkeys if the whole bible happened as written. What difference should it make to me? If people want to believe it, they needn't justify it to me or to any sceptic.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 5722 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 14246 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  If God is a witness to all things... Mystic 50 7810 October 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 129874 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 39434 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 62584 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 14888 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 17895 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 33879 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1279 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza