Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 10:39 am

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
Yes it is a deal breaker
20.69%
6 20.69%
No it is not a deal breaker
58.62%
17 58.62%
other
20.69%
6 20.69%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you date a christian?
RE: Would you date a christian?
(November 30, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: When looking to be in a relationship, is the other person being a practicing/faithful Christian an automatic deal breaker for you?

It depends on the individual. If their sole pupose in wanting to date me is to try and convert me, then I'm out. If we can each respect one another's opinions on religion and are capable of having a strong relationship outside of the boundaries that religioin presents, then I would strongly consider it. 
If they were an absolute devout bible thumping, street preaching person, I'm out of there on that too. 

I have friends who are religious. We have debates about religion. We are still friends at the end of the day. If the person I'm dating wants to be in a long term, more serious relationship that may lead to marriage, we would need to sit down and discuss things that will come up in the future that religion may play a role in. Examples of that would be:

1. children (if I were younger and still wanted more), I would strongly be against indoctrination and would want any future children to be fully educated at the appropriate age and time, so that they could make up their own minds about whether to believe in a god or not. 
2. finances - would my partner's religious views on this deter me from combining finances? 
3. our roles within the family dynamic - would he want me to "obey" him and revere him as the dominant partner or would he be happy with being an equal partner. 

I'm sure there are more examples, but that's all I can come up with right now.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(December 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: It's amazing how the people on here talk shit about Christians all day long and then most of you are okay with dating one? What??

I would say the majority of us on this forum don't "shit on Christians". I know I don't, but I still probably wouldn't date one.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(December 1, 2015 at 1:47 pm)The_Empress Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: It's amazing how the people on here talk shit about Christians all day long and then most of you are okay with dating one? What??

I would say the majority of us on this forum don't "shit on Christians". I know I don't, but I still probably wouldn't date one.

Maybe not on Christians, but on Christianity or the bible. I mean some of the people who say they are okay with dating Christians in this thread, I've seen them start threads bashing on Christianity. Maybe bashing on Christianity isn't exactly the same as bashing on Christians, but I think there is only a hairs difference between the two.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(December 1, 2015 at 1:39 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: When it comes to Christianity, my main issue is with Christianists, not with Christians who are otherwise normal.

What does otherwise normal mean? I consider the entire belief to be totally abnormal and absurd. If anything a non-practicing Christian, like most people say they are okay with, is even worse. It means that that person isn't capable of following through with their own beliefs or examining them deeply. How are you going to have any deep or meaningful relationship with someone like that? For me I need someone who is well versed in being able to examine religion and philosophy and able to have a conversation about it. Not someone who is 'normal.'

However as a note it's also not really all that difficult to find secular women where I live and my main social circle is almost entirely secular so I guess my situation might be a bit different.

There's nothing abnormal or absurd about believing what you were raised to believe, what everyone you're connected with takes for granted. That's how humans work, we absorb what we're told uncritically when we're very young, and it's very likely to stick for life. Props to anyone who thinks their way out of it, but why people believe isn't a mystery nor a psychological disorder. They are mistaken to hold that belief, but it's been the norm for all of recorded history. It's atheists who are bucking the norms, currently.

I live in SC, and I don't deny that non-availability of secular women may be a factor in my flexibility. My current gf is ex-Baha'i, currently vague 'Somethingist'. She sent me a cartoon that I think encapsulates her theology. It shows a man who believes in Bigfoot. Then it shows him crying into the forest, 'Bigfoot, I believe in you!'. Then it shows Bigfoot behind a tree, smiling because someone believes in him.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(December 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 1:47 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I would say the majority of us on this forum don't "shit on Christians". I know I don't, but I still probably wouldn't date one.

Maybe not on Christians, but on Christianity or the bible. I mean some of the people who say they are okay with dating Christians in this thread, I've seen them start threads bashing on Christianity. Maybe bashing on Christianity isn't exactly the same as bashing on Christians, but I think there is only a hairs difference between the two.

I completely disagree, being that most Christians are of the cafeteria variety, picking and choosing what they want to believe from the greater umbrella that is Christianity.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(December 1, 2015 at 2:01 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 1:39 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: What does otherwise normal mean? I consider the entire belief to be totally abnormal and absurd. If anything a non-practicing Christian, like most people say they are okay with, is even worse. It means that that person isn't capable of following through with their own beliefs or examining them deeply. How are you going to have any deep or meaningful relationship with someone like that? For me I need someone who is well versed in being able to examine religion and philosophy and able to have a conversation about it. Not someone who is 'normal.'

However as a note it's also not really all that difficult to find secular women where I live and my main social circle is almost entirely secular so I guess my situation might be a bit different.

There's nothing abnormal or absurd about believing what you were raised to believe, what everyone you're connected with takes for granted. That's how humans work, we absorb what we're told uncritically when we're very young, and it's very likely to stick for life. Props to anyone who thinks their way out of it, but why people believe isn't a mystery nor a psychological disorder. They are mistaken to hold that belief, but it's been the norm for all of recorded history. It's atheists who are bucking the norms, currently.

I live in SC, and I don't deny that non-availability of secular women may be a factor in my flexibility. My current gf is ex-Baha'i, currently vague 'Somethingist'. She sent me a cartoon that I think encapsulates her theology. It shows a man who believes in Bigfoot. Then it shows him crying into the forest, 'Bigfoot, I believe in you!'. Then it shows Bigfoot behind a tree, smiling because someone believes in him.

Ha. Also I might be a little bit of a hypocrit, because I've definitely dated girls into some serious hippy-woo before.
(December 1, 2015 at 2:05 pm)The_Empress Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Maybe not on Christians, but on Christianity or the bible. I mean some of the people who say they are okay with dating Christians in this thread, I've seen them start threads bashing on Christianity. Maybe bashing on Christianity isn't exactly the same as bashing on Christians, but I think there is only a hairs difference between the two.

I completely disagree, being that most Christians are of the cafeteria variety, picking and choosing what they want to believe from the greater umbrella that is Christianity.

I wonder how those Christian girls and boys who are potential mates of all these lovely Atheists would feel the same if they saw these threads. Somehow I doubt it. I bet they would insulted by much of what's written about Christianity on here by the very people who are willing to date them. Also the original post specified 'practicing/believing' christians.
(December 1, 2015 at 1:31 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I was engaged to a Mormon for a short time once.

Were you an atheist at the time? And if so, did she know that?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
The Christian women I've dated have known I'm an atheist, so there's that. I nearly married a Mormon (sounds like the title of tell-all book).
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
As an interesting side note to my comment, my fiancee is Wiccan. We don't discuss it. We don't talk about it. He hasn't practiced it for well over the last five years. It's basically a non-issue. But he hears me debate about christianity all the time and he's even agreed with several points I've made on the subject. Especially where the bible goes.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2433 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2207 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  this is it up date! Drich 2 531 June 3, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1493 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16974 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2536 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 860 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I need some good first date questions Seraphina 86 10685 October 5, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dating - Could you date a religious person? Regina 48 7897 November 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
Question Do you think someone would pay you for sex? Losty 184 16096 May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking