Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 3:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you consider to be evidence for God?
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God?
(November 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm)snowtracks Wrote: If you think about, there wouldn't be anything without God's existence; no matter, energy, information, or mind

Says who? I have been around for 62 some odd years and to date, not one single person has presented anything that could even be remotely considered evidence, let alone proof, for the possibility that there might be a god. Everything is hearsay, I read it in a book, anecdotes and opinion.

So again, Who says? What is your evidence. I am not even asking for proof because I know that even evidence of a non-existent being is impossible to come by.

Science, however, has demonstrated, through empirical evidence, how the universe possibly began and how it works.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
To be fully accurate, snowflake's conclusion is one that can only be reached if you don't think about it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 2, 2015 at 8:33 pm)Stimbo Wrote: To be fully accurate, snowflake's conclusion is one that can only be reached if you don't think about it.

I am sure the big words (hearsay, anecdotes, science, empirical and evidence) will throw him off.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 2, 2015 at 8:25 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(November 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm)snowtracks Wrote: If you think about, there wouldn't be anything without God's existence; no matter, energy, information, or mind

Says who?  I have been around for 62 some odd years and to date, not one single person has presented anything that could even be remotely considered evidence, let alone proof, for the possibility that there might be a god.  Everything is hearsay, I read it in a book, anecdotes and opinion.

So again, Who says? What is your evidence.  I am not even asking for proof because I know that even evidence of a non-existent being is impossible to come by.

Science, however, has demonstrated, through empirical evidence, how the universe possibly began and how it works.
It’s a matter of comparing the naturalistic model to the creation model and choosing the one that best fits the observable data from all the sciences. The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has a policy statement that implicitly and strictly adheres to a materialistic understanding of the nature of science. So scientists accepted a self-imposed limitation to the hypothesis they are willing to accept. Hence, all their conclusion must adher to the principle of methodological materialism including origin of the universe, and life or phenomena such as human consciousness. To publish or secure grants that have the AAAS policy or similar (Nature, Nova, Smithsonian, public and most private universities, etc), the researchers most exclude by policy any creation model evidence. Nothing wrong with AAAS like institutions setting rules for their members (policy statement, not a conspiracy); however, the problem is that they have excluded conclusion before the research even begins (as stated by Richard Lewontin American evolutionary biologist ‘…materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door‘)*
; and that most readers don’t know of this a priori restrictive policy. Some researcher even are convinced of the creation model, but will of course interpret the finding naturalistically. Therefore, most of the ‘science’ this board’s posters are so enameled with is really pre-loaded ’science’. In the case of evolution, big gapping holes in the theory is explained by an appeal to future discoveries, but real science is based on what is known not what is not known.

* https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Lewontin
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
If God was required for there to be stuff, and there is stuff, then there must have been God.

Tautology.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 3, 2015 at 2:06 am)snowtracks Wrote: [quote='IATIA' pid='1130335' dateline='1449102327']It’s a matter of comparing the naturalistic model to the creation model and choosing the one that best fits the observable data from all the sciences.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests or insinuates this was all created by some god unless one is to start with the assumption that god must have created all this and then contort all available information to fit the assumption. If one relies on facts and evidence, it is quite obvious that there is no god.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 3, 2015 at 4:40 am)robvalue Wrote: If God was required for there to be stuff, and there is stuff, then there must have been God.

Tautology.

The organization of the material universe is what matters. Without design, the Big Bang material wouldn't have coalesced; it would still be going unorganized (like little bb's continuing to separate further and further). The universe's expansion rate has been balanced at just the right rate to make advanced life possible. if the expansion rate were too rapid, stars and planets would not form since gravity wouldn't have adequate time to pull together the gases and dust that make up these bodies. If the expansion rate weren't rapid enough, the stars formed would rapidly collapse and become black holes or neutron stars. What determines this expansion rate is gravity and dark energy (a property that stretches the universe's space/time surface. In the book 'The Grand Design' by Hawking, Modinow, of which I have in eBook form, in chapter 7 this statement is made. "the laws of nature form a system that is extremely fine-tuned, and very little in physical law can be altered without the possibility of the development of life as we know it". Goes on to say that the Cosmological Constant (the energy density that causes the universe's expansion, referred to as dark energy) has a value 10^120 (as a comparison, the est. atoms in the observable universe is 10^80. (). Continuing - "the one thing that is certain is that if the value of the Cosmological Constant were much larger than it is, our universe would have blown itself apart before galaxies could form--once again--life as we know it would impossible".
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
There are probably a gazillion+ universes and not all went well. We just happen to be in one that did.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 9, 2015 at 12:10 am)IATIA Wrote: There are probably a gazillion+ universes and not all went well.  We just happen to be in one that did.

There is a sample size of one, beyond that is merely a metaphysical speculation but nice try though.
There has never or will ever be evidence for God.

Only the search for God.

Stilll we play this game...

I'm 40 years old and I've been trying to dissuade people about God for 20 years. And no one has ever listened to a word I've said.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 13874 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 59 5246 June 12, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2780 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3683 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1836 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5296 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9104 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3131 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1103 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 3066 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain