Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loving and forgiving your enemies
RE: Loving and forgiving your enemies
(December 12, 2015 at 10:42 am)Evie Wrote:
(December 12, 2015 at 10:37 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: Yes, they would be the only two options since the scenario I described could only include those two options. How is that so hard to understand?

No the scenario could involve other options because it's a false dichotomy. It's only a true dichotomy if within the scenario you describe you say something like "No other options are allowed in this scenario", and how is that helpful?

I did imply there weren't other options. Pay better attention in the future.
"And say you get a chance to kill him first and that's the only way you're making it out alive out of his basement(or whatever)."

Now, apologize.
(December 12, 2015 at 8:58 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(December 12, 2015 at 8:21 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you think the woman in this video is dishonest, self centered, and self serving, then?

I don't know how honest she was - I tend not to care enough to try and guess people's real intentions and motivations. She could be crazy, for all I know. But most likely - she just dealt with her grief however she saw fit.

Ok, just making sure because you made a huge blanket statement about Christians who choose to forgive.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 12, 2015 at 10:29 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: My rage is on apparently.

EP, my love. Keep calm and let's kiss.  Shy
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 12, 2015 at 10:42 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I wasn't talking about feelings of bitterness. I was talking about practical forgiveness. As in whether or not you excuse someone for doing something in the sense that you don't think they'll do it again.

That's not really what is generally meant by forgiveness.

I am pretty sure that when CL speaks of forgiveness she doesn't mean that either. She's already kudosed my post that you can forgive someone completely while not remotely tolerating or condoning their behavior.

Generally to forgive someone is to forgive them in your proverbial heart, to not begrudge them, to not be vengeful against them. It doesn't mean you have to tolerate them.
(December 12, 2015 at 10:46 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 12, 2015 at 10:29 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: My rage is on apparently.

EP, my love. Keep calm and let's kiss.  Shy

In his own words: he's not interested. Can I kiss you instead?
^Yep!

-walsh
(December 12, 2015 at 10:46 am)Evie Wrote:
(December 12, 2015 at 10:42 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I wasn't talking about feelings of bitterness. I was talking about practical forgiveness. As in whether or not you excuse someone for doing something in the sense that you don't think they'll do it again.

I am pretty sure that when CL speaks of forgiveness she doesn't mean that either. She's already kudosed my post that you can forgive someone completely while not remotely tolerating or condoning their behavior.

Generally to forgive someone is to forgive them in your proverbial heart, to not begrudge them, to not be vengeful against them. It doesn't mean you have to tolerate them.

Correct.

-walsh
(December 12, 2015 at 10:46 am)Evie Wrote:

That is what it means though. To not begrudge them and to not be vengeful against them, is to tolerate them in a sense. I'm making more sense out of a stupid word than you are. That doesn't mean I don't understand what the OP or you mean by forgiveness, it just means I don't point out what a useless word it is to begin with in order to be able to converse about it.
(December 12, 2015 at 10:44 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I did imply there weren't other options. Pay better attention in the future.
"And say you get a chance to kill him first and that's the only way you're making it out alive out of his basement(or whatever)."

Now, apologize.

For what?
I've not got enraged, I've remained decent and civil. I've not accused you of anything or insulted you, and you've falsely accused me of doing so. No one really needs to apologize here, but certainly not me.

You're the one taking things too personally here, if anyone ought to apologize any time soon, it will probably be you.

I already said that it's not helpful to phrase the hypothetical scenario that way. In reality those would never be the only two options. Thought experiments aren't helpful when they're constructed in that way.

If you ask me "If you had to choose between incredibly stupid option A and incredibly stupid option B, which would you pick?"

I'd say that's an incredibly stupid and loaded question and in any remotely real scenario it would be a false dichotomy.
EP, don't ignore me you beautiful man you!

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When The Ever-Loving Fuck Did THIS Become Acceptable?? BrianSoddingBoru4 40 4841 July 17, 2018 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The totally obnoxious, desperate, almost loving, Rep Whore thread The Valkyrie 265 27588 June 18, 2018 at 1:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer? Why Would I Keep My Enemies Close? Rhondazvous 26 3756 January 8, 2018 at 9:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  meaningless sex, or loving affection? Catholic_Lady 46 5304 December 21, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What's your current car/vehicle? And what's your fantasy car/vehicle? MJ the Skeptical 34 9183 May 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  State your religious belief, and your OS of choice Vegamo 10 2441 January 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas