Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 3:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SURVIVOR
RE: SURVIVOR
I think Spencer really messed up when he had the chance to get rid of Jeremy or Tasha when he made that group of 4 with Keith, Abi, and Kelley.

There's this thing about Survivor.. I think it was Colton from "One World" who said it first: "cut off the head of the snake". Colton was actually a brilliant player until his emotional breakdown. His defeat of Monica was one of the best moves in Survivor history if you ask me. I mean, the guy got convinced his own tribe to go to tribal council and get rid of Bill for no other reason than he didn't like the guy.

Basically: Spencer pulled a Woo when he should have pulled a Tony. He got suckered into the whole "honor" game. He tried to win off his social game, but that's not his natural strength. It's certainly important, but he is a strategist. He should have known he couldn't beat Jeremy socially. Shoulda cut off the head of the snake.
^He explained it in the interview.

If he had gone with Keith, Abi, and Kelley, he wouldn't make it to the final 3 unless HE won the last immunity challenge, because none of them would have picked him to go with them to the final 3. He knew Tasha and Jeremy would, though.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 18, 2015 at 1:00 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I'm not upset that Jeremy won but I didn't think his game was worthy of a blow out vote. And it's not like I would have voted for him because I would have wanted to validate his personal emotional growth, I thought he played a more strategic and more aware game than Jeremy. Jeremy was totally dupe by kimmi but spence and Tasha saw through her. And spence, too, was able to dupe Jeremy (and Tasha) at the Stephen vote.

I do think Jeremy's personal story combined with a bitter jury combined to give him the blow out win.

^This. Exactly this. That's why I thought it was lame that he won. It should have been Spencer.

I still can't believe he didn't get a single vote. And these are returning players, too. They should know better than to vote based on bitterness or how much you like the person.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 18, 2015 at 1:11 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Interesting that everyone views the jury as bitter when they themselves, at least many of them, said in their Ponderosas how this jury would be motivated to be objective about merit and not hold grudges.

There were definitely aspects of the final tribal that didn't make it appear as tho they were being objective. That could have to do with the way it was edited (like why Abi needed notes to ask one question-her bit was probably way cut down from what actually happened). Stephen addressing spencer, for instance, seemed more emotionally driven than objective. And my memory is that Savage seemed rather bitter the entire time he was at Ponderosa.

I don't think they were an especially bitter jury, but Some of them seemed emotional.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(December 18, 2015 at 1:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Sure, *if* the jury is willing to look past those unenjoyable aspects of her personality.

Remember back in the Samoa and Heroes v. Villains seasons - Russel Hantz made it to the end on superior strategy, but lost in both cases to coattail riders because he is just not a very likable person.

Kelley was no Russell. Russell was mean, arrogant, and condescending, and, for me at least, there were just some annoying traits I didn't really like about Kelley but nothing that would have turned me into a bitter jury member.
I'm not sure Kelley was as disliked by that jury as Russell was by either of his.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Having the jury kind of annoys me. It makes the whole thing seem so hopeless for some players. But OTOH, it's odd imagining Survivor without it. Already looking forward to the next one.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(December 19, 2015 at 3:22 am)c172 Wrote: Having the jury kind of annoys me. It makes the whole thing seem so hopeless for some players. But OTOH, it's odd imagining Survivor without it. Already looking forward to the next one.

That's part of what makes survivor so interesting to me: you not only have to figure out how to get to the end, but also how to win with the jury you have - something neither Russell nor Amanda ever learned to do - both two-time finalist, both two-time losers. That's also, to me, what makes the show so unpredictable. I also like how each season develops its own personality because of the players and what they bring to the show.
(December 18, 2015 at 8:50 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(December 18, 2015 at 1:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Sure, *if* the jury is willing to look past those unenjoyable aspects of her personality.

Remember back in the Samoa and Heroes v. Villains seasons - Russel Hantz made it to the end on superior strategy, but lost in both cases to coattail riders because he is just not a very likable person.

Kelley was no Russell. Russell was mean, arrogant, and condescending, and, for me at least, there were just some annoying traits I didn't really like about Kelley but nothing that would have turned me into a bitter jury member.
I'm not sure Kelley was as disliked by that jury as Russell was by either of his.

I wasn't comparing them in terms of degree - merely providing Hantz as an obvious-asshole-is-obvious example.
Blatant necropost ahead:

Survivor 32, Kaoh Rong – Brawn vs Brains vs Beauty II premieres February 17th Big Grin
I was JUST thinking about this today and wondering when the next season would start. Yay! Can't wait!

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SURVIVOR 35: HHH Clueless Morgan 65 7631 December 23, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1092 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  SURVIVOR: Game Changers Clueless Morgan 83 11409 May 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hey Ho's, anyone else watching Survivor this season: GenX'ers vs Millennials Whateverist 3 1339 December 2, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Aegon
  SURVIVOR: Millennials vs. Gen X c172 5 758 September 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Aegon