Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 12:41 pm

Poll: Does this testimonial change your belief in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
3.17%
2 3.17%
No
96.83%
61 96.83%
Total 63 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Near death experience of Howard Storm
RE: Near death experience of Howard Storm
(January 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm)robvalue Wrote: A person believing they are telling the truth, and a person changing after an experience, is not evidence that the experience actually was what they thought it was. Just the person believing it was real is clearly enough. Just like people believing their religion is real is enough to apparently change them also, when it's not actually possible everyone making this claim actually has a true religion. At least some of them are projecting their emotions onto experiences. And since there's no evidence ever coming from any of them, it's most likely (to me) that this is in fact always the case.

Personally, I don't care if there is a "God". I'd rather there wasn't an afterlife, but that's an unconnected question. Either way, I try very hard not to let what I want to be real to influence my sceptical approach to claims in general. Certainly there is no proper evidence for any of this stuff, unless it's under lock and key somewhere.

I have no desire or need to claim these things are actually false, I just don't take them seriously as potentially true until such time as there is some actual evidence. Even religious people act this way with regard to everything except their own religion, including other religions, to which they apply a drastic level of scepticism not apparent in their own beliefs.

I responded to the wrong person, but my reply is below.

To answer you robvalue. After I finish reading through the comments I plan to start revealing the conclusions from NDEs including what the purpose of life is, at least from the information from those who have died, told they had to come back because it was not their time, and now alive to tell their story, aka NDE. The only guarantee in life is death, and I'll share what I've learned from those who have passed over into the spiritual realm so you can learn if you want what's important to learn while in the human body. The human body is just a vessel for who we are, and we are here to learn, which I'll discuss later.
And then we have people who, as part of their claimed NDE, come back convinced that they are reincarnations of cleopatra(and that's hardly the silliest testimonial one click on google can offer).  

Let's not forget to mention those wonderful folks right alongside the converts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Catholic_Lady Wrote:I have no idea.

I have an idea: people tend to have NDE's that reflect the afterlife beliefs they were taught as small children, regardless of what they believe now. It would be interesting to see if, say, Muslim converts to Christianity who have NDEs are more reflective of Muslim expectations of the afterlife rather than Christians ones...but it wouldn't have any bearing on which (if any) afterlife experiences are actually true. If people had Jesus and God NDEs around the world, that would be an indication that something very strange is going on that can't be explained by our current scientific knowledge; but that's just not the case.

Here's an example of a Muslim who after their near death experience moved towards Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGBp_ft6UqY

I've read through many NDE's and for me the most interesting are the ones where people's lives are transformed. I'm not as interested in a Christian experiencing something they expected for example, although Christians that go to hell which are unexpected are interesting. Gays that experience a God that still loves them even though they hated religion because they thought the bible says God hates gays are also interesting. For this reason, there are many Christians that do not agree with NDEs since they don't fit the dogma of their faith. Atheists obviously disagree because it doesn't fit the current scientific understanding that consciousness can't possibly exist outside the brain, although the more common reaction is that they are halucinations with nothing further to research.
(January 29, 2016 at 10:14 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: To answer you robvalue. After I finish reading through the comments I plan to start revealing the conclusions from NDEs including what the purpose of life is, at least from the information from those who have died, told they had to come back because it was not their time, and now alive to tell their story, aka NDE. The only guarantee in life is death, and I'll share what I've learned from those who have passed over into the spiritual realm so you can learn if you want what's important to learn while in the human body. The human body is just a vessel for who we are, and we are here to learn, which I'll discuss later.

Wacky
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I have had near death experiences before want to know what i seen?
Big hint not a damn thing for one you see weird shit if you are a believer
of course you are going to hallucinate a god but it doesn't prove there is one.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Omg, thought this was about Howard STERN. lol I must be tired.
If that's what you consider us being hostile to religious people, Cathy, namely calling this man crazy, for example(and rightly so) - I'm sorry, but it's totally justifiable. At least he has the courage to flat out say what he means, unlike some people. Statements like the one this guy just made are an affront to rationality itself, and a bold one at that. They should be ridiculed into oblivion. Nothing wrong with that. If he had anything sensible to say on the matter, well that's too bad because he just lost any shred of credibility(or intellectual dignity) he might have had by default.
(January 29, 2016 at 10:57 pm)*Deidre* Wrote: Omg, thought this was about Howard STERN. lol I must be tired.

I
even thought it was about Stern. And I don't even know who that is, ffs.
(January 29, 2016 at 10:35 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(January 29, 2016 at 10:14 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: To answer you robvalue. After I finish reading through the comments I plan to start revealing the conclusions from NDEs including what the purpose of life is, at least from the information from those who have died, told they had to come back because it was not their time, and now alive to tell their story, aka NDE. The only guarantee in life is death, and I'll share what I've learned from those who have passed over into the spiritual realm so you can learn if you want what's important to learn while in the human body. The human body is just a vessel for who we are, and we are here to learn, which I'll discuss later.

Wacky

We've got to get this guy together with Rik.  A perfect match.
(January 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(January 29, 2016 at 10:35 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:

Wacky

We've got to get this guy together with Rik.  A perfect match.

[Image: CHEKOV03.JPG]

"The body is just a wessel..."
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 5478 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17025 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Noah's Ark (!) Shows How Seaworthy It Is In A Storm Minimalist 68 13780 January 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5507 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7885 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 7121 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Lightning Storm Therefore God... ReptilianPeon 22 3157 May 7, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Doing a big poo is a Religious experience FreeTony 8 3948 February 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: StuW
  Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up Fidel_Castronaut 20 8970 July 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Disturbed Theist Calls The Atheist Experience Cosmic Ape 117 49020 April 10, 2013 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Ryantology