Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 11:05 pm

Poll: Are you an antitheist?
This poll is closed.
Yes
52.78%
19 52.78%
No
47.22%
17 47.22%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antitheism
RE: Antitheism
(February 3, 2016 at 1:55 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Excited Penguin Wrote:You sound like an antitheist to me. But you identify however you wish, man. 

Point being every single atheist I've met in my life, including here, is an antitheist as well. I have yet to meet one who isn't - and that person would basically have to not object to religion or theism as a problematic set of ideas. Only babies are non-antitheist atheists. Everyone else is. It's just the reality of it.

Is there a word for a person who tells people what their position really is?

There are words - an intelligent person who is fluent in English.
(February 3, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: There's nothing else I hate more than moral equvalency. It's born out of the most simplistic world views.

So, you birthed moral equivalency, then?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 3, 2016 at 11:10 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Rightfully pointing out that theism is a form of religion is not the same as saying all religions are theistic.

Your complete unwillingness to accept and admit when you've been proven wrong is not the same as rightfully pointing out fucking anything. It does expose both your arrogance and your pettiness in equal measure though.
I'm definitely an anti-penguinist. I revel in anti-penguinism.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 3, 2016 at 11:16 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 1:55 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Is there a word for a person who tells people what their position really is?

There are words - an intelligent person who is fluent in English.

And yet you've demonstrated neither intelligence or fluency.
(February 3, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 10:37 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I detest evangelism of any stripe, including antitheist evangelism.

Good for you. Some causes are worth advocating, though. Just because christian evangelism is bad, doesn't mean every other kind of ideas being spread is bad as well.

The thing is though that a lot of people say they hate it when others try to shove their beliefs down their throats. It would be inconsistent to say that, and then to turn around and do the same thing with your own ideals.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 3, 2016 at 11:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Good for you. Some causes are worth advocating, though. Just because christian evangelism is bad, doesn't mean every other kind of ideas being spread is bad as well.

The thing is though that a lot of people say they hate it when others try to shove their beliefs down their throats. It would be inconsistent to say that, and then to turn around and do the same thing with your own ideals.

That I agree with. I would never say I hate such a thing though. That's the price we have to pay for free speech, and it's a fair one.
(February 3, 2016 at 11:02 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: There's nothing else I hate more than moral equvalency. It's born out of the most simplistic world views.

It's a shame you insist on imposing your own filters over the views of others, rather than ask them why they think a certain way before imputing a rationale.

I'll take that.
(February 3, 2016 at 9:15 pm)MTL Wrote:

This is a self-serving post. You start off by telling me you're leaving the conversation. Do you expect me to read any further?
Good luck with that.
(February 3, 2016 at 8:56 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Thanks. I try, but sometimes I fall short due to my temper or passion or a variety of other, less flattering reasons. I may have said something that pushed EP's buttons before he pushed the block button.

You did. You dared to disagree with him.

I sensed he was being condescending to me in one of his posts. But then I realized I do the same thing and a lot more often so I unblocked everyone I had on my block list. I'm random like that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12709 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Antitheism Werewolff 21 4759 March 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: NoMoreFaith