Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay, Catholic and Doing Fine
RE: Gay, Catholic and Doing Fine
This is a silly and immature back and forth. Shame on me for having entertained it for as long as I did, but I felt compelled to clear my name of your accusations and straws for anyone else reading.

Nonetheless, I should step out at this point. You are free to think what you want.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 7, 2016 at 4:19 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I disagree with C_L on a lot, but I definitely agree with her sentiment that you need to relax, Brian. Why don't you take it out on one of the more vile people on the forum? There are plenty of them. Take it to the "pop morality" thread, maybe. It's much more deserving of your vitriol.

Vitriol would be "don't ever let a theist post here ever"

Vitriol would be " Have them arrested because they make me want to pull my hair out".

CL was the one who claimed it was ok to be gay and Catholic, and I wasn't the only one to point out the error in that logic, but she kept going. 

Now tell me how I am wrong, after SHE admitted she could not prove her claims, I am the bad guy?

No need to defend her at all, if she is right, then she should be able to defend herself. If she is going to respond with "I cant prove it", how is someone responding with "then that should tell you something" make my response "vitriol".

Again, her rights are not the issue, but no, if you keep repeating nonsense after even admitting you have no evidence for it, how is anyone wrong for responding to a naked assertion, because I am not the only one objecting to her claims in this thread.
Oh, Jesus Christ.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(February 7, 2016 at 4:19 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: This is a silly and immature back and forth. Shame on me for having entertained it for as long as I did, but I felt compelled to clear my name of your accusations and straws for anyone else reading.  

Nonetheless, I should step out at this point. You are free to think what you want.

Immature is what you are doing after admitting you could not prove your position.

Yes step out after you made the naked assertion that it is ok to be a gay Catholic and made it a rights and happiness issue when your objectors were NOT making that the issue. The objectors in this thread have only objected to your bad logic, and you even agreed you had no evidence for your position.

Yes please stop.
(February 5, 2016 at 3:02 am)Aractus Wrote:

So to summarise, this is what the Bible says about homosexuals:
  • They are an abomination (this is repeated several times),
  • They should be executed,
  • They are sexual perverts,
  • They are equated with rapists (Sodomites),
  • Their desires are unnatural and shameful,
  • Homosexuality is caused by disobedience to God,
  • Do not associate with them,
  • And expose them.
Now can you see the problem?

I'm still waiting for a Catholic person to respond to this.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(February 8, 2016 at 8:11 am)Aractus Wrote:

• And expose them.

Me too, now the "I don't do that", or "most dont" are not arguments. Logic matters because others DO read that list and then things like this end up happening.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/u.s.-p...y-agenda-a
You'll notice I didn't include Sodom and Gomorrah because that's before the Leviticus direction not to engage in homosexual sex. Therefore at that time no such prohibition was in place. At least according to the Biblical narrative that is.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Information 
(February 8, 2016 at 10:08 am)Aractus Wrote: You'll notice I didn't include Sodom and Gomorrah because that's before the Leviticus direction not to engage in homosexual sex. Therefore at that time no such prohibition was in place. At least according to the Biblical narrative that is.

I still think that is besides the point. The point is ALL holy books are used as weapons regardless of "interpretation". The words are still there to "get wrong" no matter what. That also speaks to the alleged efficiency of this "all powerful" god. If you have this fantastic plan, and your goal is to get everyone on the same page, and have peace, this long convoluted book which people fight over as to what it means seems to be needless drama.
(February 8, 2016 at 8:11 am)Aractus Wrote:

• And expose them.

Hi Aractus. Since Catholicism isn't in the business of fundamentalism, where we take everything in the bible completely literally, you'd have to look at the Catechism to see how we interpret certain things. 

This is everything the Catechism says about homosexuality:

Quote:Chastity and homosexuality
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is not freely chosen, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Basically, we think it is immoral to have any sex that is outside of husband and wife, and that includes sex between 2 men/2 women. And we don't believe gay marriage or polygamy are real marriages in the eyes of God, even if they are legal, it is not something we can approve in the Church (marriage in our beliefs is a spiritual thing, not just a legal thing). However, we recognize that people don't freely choose to be gay, and so being gay is not immoral. Only the acts of having sex, are what we believe to be so. And we are also instructed not to treat them badly or to see them as any less human... since some of the bible verses about it come off as very dehumanizing.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
CL, we really don't need your input anymore, you said you wanted to stop, and you also admitted you could not prove your position, so do let another Catholic take a shot at it. You jumped in the ring, you had your claims knocked out, now if you insist on continuing, dispense with the complaining.

Are you willing to admit you are wrong, are you just continuing just to save face?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 51785 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 447 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4722 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 2041 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1739 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 1044 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2920 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2490 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 783 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2529 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama