Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please give me evidence for God.
RE: Please give me evidence for God.
(March 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm)GeneralDog Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 2:31 pm)FebruaryOfReason Wrote: Here's your evidence GeneralDog:

You may have heard of this in psychology circles too. They call it "Confirmation bias".
Seek, and you will find what you were looking for, regardless of whether the facts actually fit it.

I see... I'm starting to realize this search is a failure, I look at videos/articles and each one has a horrible misunderstanding of space and things of that nature. Everyone starts with "Evolutionists believe the universe started with an explosion."

If you really want to see the possibilities discussed, page through the Religion sections of the forum.  I don't think there are any purported proofs that haven't been presented here in the last year.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(March 3, 2016 at 2:51 pm)KUSA Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm)GeneralDog Wrote: I'm starting to realize this search is a failure

You knew it would be. Tell the truth.

I had no expectations before this. I was just looking for the outcome.
(March 3, 2016 at 2:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 1:55 pm)GeneralDog Wrote: Joined a Christian forum and had my account deactivated for harrasment and religious attacks.

Try joining another one again and be courteous and respectful next time around. Most theist forums are not as relaxed as this forum when it comes to conduct, especially if you go in there and start attacking their faith. Go in there, and be as objective as possible. Simply ask questions and listen. I've been in a Catholic forum (Catholic Answers) and a Mormon forum (LDS.net), both of which had productive atheist discussions so long as there was mutual respect.

Why are you automatically assuming he didn't do just that?

He's looking for evidence, and personal anecdotes are the weakest form.  That's why, for instance, prosecutors try to obtain as much physical evidence of a crime that they can.  And when it comes to matters of religion, personal anecdotes are essentially useless.  GD isn't that person.  He doesn't know them.  He has no reason to simply take them at their word.  And even if the other people are being 100% honest about their experiences, that doesn't mean they're interpreting them right or remembering them correctly.  He's right to ask for more and not simply rely on another's feel good story.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(March 3, 2016 at 12:26 pm)Drich Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 10:41 am)GeneralDog Wrote: I'm not sure if I am fully understanding your question. Although at the end you say if God himself provided proof, please give it to me, and which god is it?

If their were three steps you had to do to find your 'proof.' would you do them?

Your steps to "proof" depend on the fallacious presupposition that the Biblical "god" character actually exists.

It is fallacious because it is circular logic.

All A/S/K proves, is that you are susceptible to confirmation bias. 

If I were to try A/S/K, and it didn't work, you have ready prepared responses. "You weren't sincere", "You didn't try long enough", "You didn't take it seriously", or "you didn't do that thing, with the guy in the place".

And even if it did "work", there is absolutely no way to demonstrate that what I experienced was not due to misinterpreting some natural mental state brought on by the A/S/K process, similar to the mental states brought on by meditation.

The bottom line, is if it "works" for an atheist, it confirms your confirmation bias. And if it doesn't "work" for an atheist it still confirms your confirmation bias.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 3, 2016 at 1:50 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: General Dog, may a propose a suggestion?

Join a Christian forum, a Catholic forum, an Islamic forum, a Jewish forum, etc etc (for other major religions), and ask there what all their arguments/reasons are for the existence of their god(s). If you are genuine in your search for information on this issue, I think asking this question on theist forums would be a more logical approach. I don't think you're going to be able to gather much info at all asking a question like this on an atheist forum. There are only a handful of active theists here.

Sorry to inform you CL, but I have tried to join several Christian forums, including a Catholic one. I was banned from every one of them.

I was extremely courteous, never used anything close to foul language, did not insult anyone, responded honestly to every question, never tried to lie about who I was, etc, etc. 

My membership would last exactly up to the point when I pointed out the fallacies and flaws in the arguments I was getting.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 3, 2016 at 2:31 pm)FebruaryOfReason Wrote: Here's your evidence GeneralDog:
Quote:A/S/K (Matthew 7:7-12)
Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.

For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened

You may have heard of this in psychology circles too. They call it "Confirmation bias".
Seek, and you will find what you were looking for, regardless of whether the facts actually fit it.

That fit's the story of evolution to a tee.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 4, 2016 at 1:13 am)Godschild Wrote: That fit's the story of evolution to a tee.

GC

By all means, speak out of your ass some more.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
@ General Dog, God is his own evidence, you will never get evidence of God through people, we are here as a testimony. Go and seek out the Christian God He is the only one who will answer, the Bible is your guide to the most awesome being ever. If you have questions you can PM me.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
G-C your brain farts are not evidence.
[Image: tumblr_mpslvq2rBP1rbl50so1_500.jpg]
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 2105 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 1151 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 9303 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 6079 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
  If theists understood "evidence" Silver 135 16015 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 16058 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 3243 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 18989 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 995 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 900 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd