Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If theists understood "evidence"
If theists understood "evidence"
We'd all be believers.  

As it is, believers confuse evidence for delusion.  

No surprise there.
RE: If theists understood "evidence"
(October 8, 2018 at 6:59 am)Kit Wrote: We'd all be believers.  

No surprise there.

What is it, that you think is not understood?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 8, 2018 at 7:00 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: What is it, that you think is not understood?

It's not that which is understood so much as that which is supposed to be accepted despite the fact that it is unrealistic.
(October 8, 2018 at 7:03 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 8, 2018 at 7:00 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: What is it, that you think is not understood?

It's not that which is understood so much as that which is supposed to be accepted despite the fact that it is unrealistic.

Would it be fair to say then, that it is not so much about evidence, but an a priori belief, and/or personal incredulity?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 8, 2018 at 6:59 am)Kit Wrote: We'd all be believers.  

No surprise there.

A group of four Jehovah's Witnesses knocked at my door a couple of months ago. When I asked them what evidence they had for God's existence, one of them made a sweeping gesture toward the woods in back of my house, saying, "There's your evidence right there!"

"No," I replied, "that's only evidence that I own several acres of wooded property. Evolution is a perfectly adequate explanation of how all those trees and woodland creatures got there."

"What is your religion?" their leader asked.

"I have no religion or god," I replied. "I'm an atheist."

They all shrugged their shoulders and left. Intellectual cowards! Dodgy
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(October 8, 2018 at 7:08 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Would it be fair to say then, that it is not so much about evidence, but an a priori belief, and/or personal incredulity?

That which is personal should be kept as such rather than blurted as universal.

After all, how does personal become universal except through an agenda?
(October 8, 2018 at 7:11 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 8, 2018 at 7:08 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Would it be fair to say then, that it is not so much about evidence, but an a priori belief, and/or personal incredulity?

That which is personal should be kept as such rather than blurted as universal.

I have no idea what you are talking about now. It seems we have already changed once from the original statement. Is this connected somehow, or did we change again?
(October 8, 2018 at 7:13 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 8, 2018 at 7:11 am)Kit Wrote: That which is personal should be kept as such rather than blurted as universal.

I have no idea what you are talking about now.  It seems we have already changed once from the original statement.  Is this connected somehow, or did we change again?

That's always the problem I encounter.  You don't understand me.

I'm perfectly understandable.  If you cannot accept that, it's all on you and your inability to accept reality.  

Grow the fuck up.
(October 8, 2018 at 7:15 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 8, 2018 at 7:13 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about now.  It seems we have already changed once from the original statement.  Is this connected somehow, or did we change again?

That's always the problem I encounter.  You don't understand me.

I'm perfectly understandable.  If you cannot accept that, it's all on you and your inability to accept reality.  

Grow the fuck up.

I don’t think that you are fully articulating your thoughts here. But as I understand It seems that you got yourself backed into a corner with your statements, and this is just a way to get out of them.
(October 8, 2018 at 7:18 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I don’t think that you are fully articulating your thoughts here. But I understand It seems that you got yourself backed into a corner with your statements, and this is just a way to get out of them.

Convenient for you.

Unfortunately, I see past it.

No surprise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6455 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4076 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2892 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9596 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 48933 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11510 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21691 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4408 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 27615 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good TheMessiah 13 3786 June 14, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus