Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 23, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please give me evidence for God.
RE: Please give me evidence for God.
(March 6, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm)IATIA Wrote: I am sure he was speaking of theists in general.  They are not here to agree with us.

Well then maybe it's better not to quote me and say "you" if he doesn't actually mean ME.

I try to use "one" or "they", but in general one tends to use "you" even though it is not necessarily directed at a specific individual.

(March 6, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm)IATIA Wrote: For the same reason a theist shows up on an atheist forum.  And most theist sites will dump an atheist like a hot potato.

Theists show up on an atheist forum to ask theists a question about theism?

Theists show up on an atheist forum to ask questions of the opposing view.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(March 6, 2016 at 1:03 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Well then maybe it's better not to quote me and say "you" if he doesn't actually mean ME.

I try to use "one" or "they", but in general one tends to use "you" even though it is not necessarily directed at a specific individual.

(March 6, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Theists show up on an atheist forum to ask theists a question about theism?

Yes, it makes perfect sense to come to an atheist forums to ask atheists about atheism. Coming to an atheist forum to ask theists about theism, however, just seems a little counter productive.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I do not need to ask theists about theism. I already understand it better than them.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:And what spiritual proclamations were those? Considering there have only been 2 papal proclamations in the history of the Church, I doubt he was one who made one.

Well, that's not precisely true. Pontiffs issue Papal Proclamations with almost as much regularity as I change my socks. Strictly speaking, every time the Pope issues a bull or an edict, it counts as a Proclamation, as when Francis proclaimed that 2015-2016 would be 'The Holy Year Of Mercy'.

But you're largely correct in that the infallibility of pontifical pronouncements is very, VERY rare and there are only two universally considered at such: The Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary (I'm fairly sure than canonization of saints falls under the infallibility doctrine as well). There are other doctrines that some theologians consider ex cathedra and others do not.

So, yes - the prostitute riding pope (sounds like Alexander VI) never spoke infallibly.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Yes, I was referring to infallible proclamations. We never claimed that the rest isn't subject to error.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 6, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, it makes perfect sense to come to an atheist forums to ask atheists about atheism. Coming to an atheist forum to ask theists about theism, however, just seems a little counter productive.

Why?  Atheists are -demonstrably- more knowledgeable than theists, in that regard. If someone relied upon you, for example, to expound upon catholic doctrine and principles...they;d end up no better than they would had they made it all up whole-cloth themselves....as you seem to have done.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 6, 2016 at 12:19 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 5, 2016 at 3:26 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: CL, I've run into more than a handful of theists, including you, since I joined this forum in December, and none of you have presented one single shred of evidence for your beliefs. If you think you have valid evidence, then why do you need to surround us tag-team style in order to make what you say appear credible? I think you know us well enough that when there's evidence, then we pay attention. It's when people attempt to substitute argument for the missing evidence that we laugh.

I have made it very clear that I don't have evidence, and I'm not sure what you mean about me surrounding you tag team style. 

I just don't understand why people ask questions like that on an atheist forum, that's all. There are so many better places to ask theist questions than on an atheist forum.

CL, I know you don't have evidence, and still you believe. Therefore, I have to ask why do you think people who constitute the majority of religious forums have better evidence than you (zero)? Why would you be sending a 14-year-old into these groups other than to be ambushed with so much pointless argument that one of lesser intellectual strength than this one has (which I find to be most impressive for his age) would end up agreeing, because "reasons"? Is that what you find better about religious forums for dealing with such questions?

There are more than enough theists right here on this forum, and they are probably the best among those who would be hanging out on other forums when it comes to arguing their position with anything better than quoting bible verses or just resorting to "because (such and such) said so". They get a fair shot, just as you have, at convincing the skeptical when they come here, while on forums where they are at home they need not presume a skeptical audience - therefore, no better evidence to be seen on their home turf.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 6, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 1:03 pm)IATIA Wrote: I try to use "one" or "they", but in general one tends to use "you" even though it is not necessarily directed at a specific individual.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to come to an atheist forums to ask atheists about atheism. Coming to an atheist forum to ask theists about theism, however, just seems a little counter productive.

Not at all.

As I pointed out in my reply to you back in post #55, having honest back and forth discussions on theist forums as an atheist is next to impossible, since banning is almost inevitable for doing nothing more than pointing out flaws in theist's arguments.

Since theists get banned a lot less on atheist forums, discussing theism with theists on an atheist forum seems to be the best option.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 6, 2016 at 4:02 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, it makes perfect sense to come to an atheist forums to ask atheists about atheism. Coming to an atheist forum to ask theists about theism, however, just seems a little counter productive.

Not at all.

As I pointed out in my reply to you back in post #55, having honest back and forth discussions on theist forums as an atheist is next to impossible, since banning is almost inevitable for doing nothing more than pointing out flaws in theist's arguments.

Since theists get banned a lot less on atheist forums, discussing theism with theists on an atheist forum seems to be the best option.

Fair enough. Nonetheless, forums aren't the only place to look for answers to something you want to gather info on. If you have a questions to theists about theism, an atheist forum still seems like a counter productive place to look for those answers, imho. You can take out books, do research online, call a church and ask if the pastor is open to meeting with you and answering questions, etc. Any of those seem like better options than an atheist forum. If you disagree with that, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

-walsh
(March 6, 2016 at 4:31 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You can take out books, do research online, call a church and ask if the pastor is open to meeting with you and answering questions, etc. Any of those seem like better options than an atheist forum. If you disagree with that, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Text bolded by me.

Re bolded text: I've been there and done that. Looking back, the response I got was nothing to warrant surprise. The Methodist minister, who I had not previously met, was recommended based on his local reputation for his knowledge and open attitude toward the ideas and practices of multiple world religions, and he did agree to meet with me. As soon as I questioned why I should believe any of them really know anything on an actual god, much less a "One True God™" our meeting ended abruptly. I had already done my own research on other world relgions and my knowledge of multiple Christian sects was from my upbringing. None of my questions were answered, the meeting was a complete waste of time for both of us.

It wasn't until I began seeking assistance with evaluating my employment potential through a federal agency that I met a veteran with PTSD and his aunt, both with high intelligence and inquisitive understanding for people who were living on welfare that I finally began to learn a few things about our fantasies of a Big Daddy in the sky.
Mr. Hanky loves you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 1068 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 961 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7512 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4811 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 14224 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 15358 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2986 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17406 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 956 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 850 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd