Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
(March 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:03 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: The main thing is that this is what you believe, whether it is true or not.  I of course think shit happens and its no one's fault except the rapist in this case and perhaps the societal milieu in which he (or she .. wouldn't that be great if weren't actually just us guys everytime?) was raised.

Does your belief that there will be long term consequences for the rapist prevent you from doing everything you can humanly do here and now to keep safe the 11 year old girl Rhythm is threatening with rape in his imagination?

My bold. 

Absolutely not.

So why not hold God to the same standard?!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 7, 2016 at 4:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 4:41 pm)The_Empress Wrote: God, by creating humans who rape, regularly violates the free will of those who are raped. I don't see how free will is even a plausible argument for Christians to use.

Having free will doesn't mean we'll accomplish everything we try to do, per se. Someone can kidnap me and I'll fight back as much as I can, but that doesn't mean I won't succeed in being able to escape. This doesn't mean I don't have free will.

You are right about this, CL. But now think about what you said previously, about how someone wouldn't have free will if God prevented them from raping a child. Do you see any contradiction there?
(March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I know that you personally understand that rape is horrible, CL.  But making excuses for why God has set up his own creations to have the desire, motivation, opportunity, and ability to rape each other ("he has his reasons") is in a way excusing the act it's self.  What possible reason could there be?  It leads to a dangerous way of thinking.  It leads to a diminished appreciation for human suffering.  

Chinese women who put their new born baby girls in trees to die of exposure told themselves it was okay, because there was a "plan"; that the babies would be reincarnated without any memories of their short, tortured lives.  

Saying "this seems fucked up, but what do I know," is a slippery slope.  How many Germans probably said that to themselves?

To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

What I was saying is that God has His reasons for creating SEX, verses having us reproduce via stork or some other non sexual means. Even though sex can be used wrongly by us humans and thus can cause a lot of harm, I trust that God has seen everything (unlike myself) and that He has seen that the good that comes from sex far outweighs the bad that can come from it.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
So I guess we just have to put up with a little* rape so that you and your husband can get your rocks off...and maybe make a little mini-CL that you'll teach the same twisted shit to....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I know that you personally understand that rape is horrible, CL.  But making excuses for why God has set up his own creations to have the desire, motivation, opportunity, and ability to rape each other ("he has his reasons") is in a way excusing the act it's self.  What possible reason could there be?  It leads to a dangerous way of thinking.  It leads to a diminished appreciation for human suffering.  

Chinese women who put their new born baby girls in trees to die of exposure told themselves it was okay, because there was a "plan"; that the babies would be reincarnated without any memories of their short, tortured lives.  

Saying "this seems fucked up, but what do I know," is a slippery slope.  How many Germans probably said that to themselves?

To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

What I was saying is that God has His reasons for creating SEX, verses having us reproduce via stork or some other non sexual means. Even though sex can be used wrongly by us humans and thus can cause a lot of harm, I trust that God has seen everything (unlike myself) and that He has seen that the good that comes from sex far outweighs the bad that can come from it.

No. You said God has his reasons for the 11 year old girl who now apparently has syphilis thanks to Rhythm.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(March 7, 2016 at 4:41 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Well, eternal life is a very fundamental part of Christian belief.

I know it is.

But it's still the escape route when anything looks remotely uncomfortable and they don't really want to reflect on the implications. To be perfectly clear, god being omnipotent could have created the most perfect or perfect environments. And even the putting to the test argument flies out of the window, since god being omniscient knows the answers already before he even asks.

But, as I said, this isn't really important for this thread.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 7, 2016 at 5:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 4:54 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I don't see how that answers my question. Did God create humans who are able to remove the free will of others or not? If so, he, even if by extension, regularly removes free will.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a question. 

Yes, when 2 people have sex God does not magically stop nature from happening and from a person being conceived and then born, as they otherwise would have. Even if He knows that person will grow up to do bad things, like take away another person's rights, He does not intervene. I word it like that is to show that I don't see God as being a wizard with a magic wand who "creates" people just like that. He does not micromanage our world. He allows nature to take its course, as I have explained. 

Yes, God gave everyone free will. Some people choose to use their free will to hinder another person's free will at a particular time. Do I blame God for that, since He allows nature to take its course and thus allowed a person to be born, knowing that person would do something awful? No, I don't. I think He gave us brains and an inherent understanding of good and evil. I think we are all fully and solely responsible for our own actions. I guess I don't see it the same way as you... that God took away someone's free will because He created someone who did.

I can't answer why God thought it would be ultimately better to let nature take its coarse. But I'm ok with that. I'm not God.

God is not a wizard with a magic wand who "creates" people like that, even though he has all that power and more. He does not micromanage our world, he allows nature to take its course, which is a decision which would make anyone with the power to do otherwise derelict of the responsibilities which go with power. Your god's hands are not, and can never be clean when he allows evil things to happen when he is capable of changing the course of events. There are no "mysterious ways", there are only the excuses which his believers keep on making in order to hold on to the delusion that they remain faithful to the god of their delusions, which were implanted into their minds through childhood indoctrination.

The question is how much longer will you, CL, continue to make such excuses for your deity, knowing what you do on how childhood indoctrination has warped your mind? Your church does absolutely nothing to mitigate evil, and in fact it has been more than responsible for some horrible atrocities of its own. Your god stood by while thousands of Catholic children and women were raped by Catholic priests, and your church authorities still resist the mitigation of these crimes, because they are themselves the perpetrators! The Vatican supported the mandated pubiotomy operation against all Irish Catholic women giving birth in that country, for more than a century after other countries outlawed it. It was unimaginably painful, and caused permanent paralysis in many women. Your church enslaved Irish women for life in the Magdalene laundries, just for talking to boys when they were fourteen - they went in there, never to see their families again, forgotten. This slave industry existed to raise money for the futher empowerment of your church, yes, it's that one which is directed from the Vatican. The girls who were forced to work there were buried in mass graves! This is the god who you follow and support, who stands by and encourages this of evil people within the organization which receives your tithe money, as if they were acting on his own orders. Well, I don't think a god who encourages this sort of behavior through his failure of positive intercession is one who deserves the respect, much less the support of a decent person such as you. If you really are the decent person which you appear to be. The more you make excuses for that layabout creep, the more I doubt you really have much decency still in you.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
This seems like the thing I'm always hearing from theists who are horrified about the logical implications of what I must believe as an atheist.

Whatever anyone else may think it means that God does or allows horrible acts, should just ask Cathy what she thinks instead of building 'proofs' of what her beliefs must be and what they signify.
(March 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: My bold. 

Absolutely not.

So why not hold God to the same standard?!  

As I said, I don't know why God allows nature to take its course. I don't know why He doesn't intervene. But I'm okay with not knowing, because I'm not God and it makes no sense that a human would have all the same wisdom and knowledge as a being who created the universe and who can see everything in it - past present and future.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 7, 2016 at 6:20 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

No.  You said God has his reasons for the 11 year old girl who now apparently has syphilis thanks to Rhythm.  

Where did I say that?

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm