Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 7, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Others smoke too much dope

Hey, I'm right here. Dodgy
(March 7, 2016 at 6:40 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: This is bullshit.  You're not answerable for how anyone feels about what they think your beliefs mean.  Sharing your beliefs or discussing them is a gift that you can bestow or withdraw at any time.  I know which I would do right now in your shoes.

Oh, come on Whateverist.  CL is a big girl.  She comes here at will and knows that her beliefs and motivations will be challenged.  And if she feels she's being misunderstood she is perfectly capable of clarifying herself.  There's no need to coddle.

Having my beliefs challenged is one thing. Being told "fuck you, you horrible horrible person" along with the annoying straws, is something entirely different. I'm grateful for Whateverist for coming to my defense. He's a friend, and one of the nicest people on this forum.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 7, 2016 at 6:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: So why not hold God to the same standard?!  

As I said, I don't know why God allows nature to take its course. I don't know why He doesn't intervene. But I'm okay with not knowing, because I'm not God and it makes no sense that a human would have all the same wisdom and knowledge as a being who created the universe and who can see everything in it - past present and future.

Unless the reality does at some point permeate your mind that no real god acts as your god does. That your god is one of many which were worshiped throughout human history, and that its waning power in this real world is due to its lackluster performance at convincing smart people that he has any basis in reality. That your churches' culpability in rape scandals, and the role it has always played in manufacturing ignorance and poverty is because control of your sheep-like minds to collect your tithe money is really all that the Vatican every really cared about. It's all a big scam, and its victims are always the poor. For fuck's sake, CL - wake up already! There is no Tomorrow-morrow Land, the Matrix is a lie, and there sure isn't a god which is any more supernatural than your popes, cardinals, and priests that have any use other than their own selfish gratification for the evils which happen in this world.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:40 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Oh, come on Whateverist.  CL is a big girl.  She comes here at will and knows that her beliefs and motivations will be challenged.  And if she feels she's being misunderstood she is perfectly capable of clarifying herself.  There's no need to coddle.

Having my beliefs challenged is one thing. Being told "fuck you, you horrible horrible person" along with the annoying straws, is something entirely different. I'm grateful for Whateverist for coming to my defense. He's a friend, and one of the nicest people on this forum.

Well, I never said "fuck you," or called you a horrible person, because you clearly are a very nice person which I've mentioned before. What I did say was making excuses for God condoning rape (and all horrible acts of violence) is a dangerous way of thinking, and I don't believe any of that is straw.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(March 7, 2016 at 6:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Why blame Cathy for the little girl you keep threatening to rape in your imagination?
I don't blame her for the countless rapes endured over the centuries. Nor do I blame her god, since it doesn't exist.  I blame her for her religious excuses...which she "freely" chose to offer.  In a thread -she- started, pontificating over objective morality, and gods authorship thereof, of his claim to -my- goodness by granting it to me -as claimed..by her...repeatedly.

The sheer fucking affrontery is too much to keep my mouth shut about.

The idea that holding moral values as objective is somehow elevating grates at me too.  But then I'm someone who can like believers and I find this one very likable.*  You clearly have more of an edge about it that I do.

*[Hey isn't your momma a believer?  Bet I would like her okay .. maybe longtime in the right circumstances.]
(March 7, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Others smoke too much dope

Hey, I'm right here. Dodgy

I actually had you in mind.   Big Grin
Who'd have thought the same person offering pearls of wisdom regarding rape like these would have such dainty feelings?  That they would find my comments offensive and their own pious. Surprises the shit out of me.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Once again we have God as the authority who can't even manage to live up to his own objectively moral standards.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Indeed she is Whatevs, but for some odd reason, she's never felt compelled to make statements such as these.  That might explain why I can stomach her beliefs, even though I have no patience for those espoused here, eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Hey, I'm right here. Dodgy

I actually had you in mind.   Big Grin

I'll have you know that one man's "too much" is another man's "not nearly enough". Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2188 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3367 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11007 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 40367 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1398 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5897 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8458 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3642 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14161 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4560 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm