Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 7, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 4:53 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: God could have prevented rape by designing humans to mate seasonally and according to pheromonal triggers as many organisms do, while lacking a sex drive outside of these times.

Here I am, one little human person out of an entire universe, occupying it for a tiny fraction of time, and I think I know better than God? The being who created everything and everyone? The being who can see the whole universe all at once, past, present, and future? Does it make any logical sense to think I know better than He does? 

I don't think it's necessarily illogical. As you state yourself, he created everything, everyone, can see all times, and is said to know everything. This says to me that he should have been able to create a universe precisely like we have now, but without these calamities, natural and otherwise, in a way that does not abrogate free will. I gave the earlier example that you could consider it an abrogation of my free will because I was not designed with wings. There are limitations of all kinds, physical limitations, that prevent me from existing underwater or in the vacuum of space. I can't phase through solid material. It's not just physical, but mental: I can't telepathically communicate with other people. I can't understand what my cat is thinking. I want to do all of these things, and I am being prohibited from exercising my free will because of my body not including any of these capabilities. 

Now, if I can live without resenting these limitations of my will, I think I could live with limitations preventing rape and murder. 

The problem that I have is, since God did not create a world in which free will could exist without sin, there are only two logical reasons why. Either he chose not to create such a world, or it was beyond his abilities.
(March 7, 2016 at 6:47 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Having my beliefs challenged is one thing. Being told "fuck you, you horrible horrible person" along with the annoying straws, is something entirely different. I'm grateful for Whateverist for coming to my defense. He's a friend, and one of the nicest people on this forum.

Well, I never said "fuck you," or called you a horrible person, because you clearly are a very nice person which I've mentioned before.   

I never said you did. That can be attributed to Rhythm. But thank you, I appreciate it.  

Quote:What I did say was making excuses for God condoning rape (and all horrible acts of violence) is a dangerous way of thinking, and I don't believe any of that is straw.

I absolutely did not say God condones rape. Neither do I believe He does. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I believe He condemns rape and I believe He has ruled it as an objectively evil act. So yes, that is also a straw.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
An act he condemns and objectively rules as evil...and yet does nothing about.  More than that, lowly human worms who had to have a god decided morality gifted to them consitently manage to do what god will not or cannot without any qualms about the value to the rest of us for any given rape or indeed all rape.

Meanwhile, you dig in deeper implying that there's something wrong with people calling you a horrible person...while ignoring the petty degeneracy of your own statements which led to it.  Talk about a impressive failure to prioritize offense. Is this the catholic moral compass in action? You can keep it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Who'd have thought the same person offering pearls of wisdom regarding rape like these would have such dainty feelings?  That they would find my comments offensive and their own pious.  Surprises the shit out of me.

Truly, her shit does not stink.  She's into that stuff.
Seems to be a common trait of the catholic masses, so in love with the smell of their own shit that they can't recognize it for what it is even if you smear their nose in it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 7:29 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Who'd have thought the same person offering pearls of wisdom regarding rape like these would have such dainty feelings?  That they would find my comments offensive and their own pious.  Surprises the shit out of me.

Truly, her shit does not stink.  She's into that stuff.

(March 7, 2016 at 7:30 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Seems to be a common trait of the catholic masses, so in love with the smell of their own shit that they can't recognize it for what it is even if you smear their nose in it.

She brought this on herself by defiling my fantasy of the more exalted purpose for which I'd imagined God created women's corn holes.  Poop Cathy .. poop?  Why oh why would a woman soil her sacred secondary sexual port in such a sordid manner?

You wouldn't last a second in my shoes. If you were in a theist forum and people were throwing straw at you, and treating you the same way you've been treating me, along with saying "fuck you" "you're a horrible person" and "go fuck yourself", I'd love to see how well you'd be able to keep your composure. ...Actually, I wouldn't love to see that. I've been in a theist forum before where atheists were getting a hard time (though nothing this vile), and I always felt sorry for them and stood up for them.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
LOL, been there, done that, got bored.  Baha'i, no less. Real whackadoos, made me want to swallow wood chips. Lets add self aggrandizing to rape apologizing on your forum resume, shall we?  Can I suggest that you learn what the term "strawman" actually means before you toss it around?  This benefits you and you alone.....something tells me you're going to resist, though...even though you'll accept rape on the idea that it provides some nebulous benefit to "us".

This -is- my composure, though, heart on my sleeve CL. I don't have to pretend I'm anything more or less than I am. That I can stomach what I cannot, or that my patience and tolerance are endless....or even particularly long. You get hung up on mean words...but you don't mind making the sorts of casually degrading comments you've seen fit to grace us with. That's something I find difficult to understand. You, like the entire catholic apparatus before you, seem to think you can shame people into letting you say heinous shit without stiff and spirited opposition...that you or your nominally catholic beliefs deserve some deference that your comments would have eradicated if it was ever earned in the first place, which it wasn't.

I'm not sure why any of you would expect that to work...the divine author of my morality is a rape fetishist......at what point would shame be effective?
You've always been very horrible to me. Sorry, but that's all I have to go off of.

-walsh
Rhythm has never been horrible.

Honest, certainly.

He's honest in a nicer way than I could ever be.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm