Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 10:30 am

Poll: Would you switch(and why)?
This poll is closed.
Yes
81.82%
9 81.82%
No
9.09%
1 9.09%
I don't know.
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem
RE: The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem
(March 13, 2016 at 8:35 am)robvalue Wrote: What?

You're screwing with me. You must be. What is "statistical reasons"? Yes, the probability is in your favour if you switch. I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

Haha. OK fine, I'll leave you be then.

Tell you what rob, I'll explain it to you since you were patient enough to explain things to me before. But I suggest you read carefully.

Consider 5 tries.

First try you get car.
Second try you get car.
Third try you get car.
Fourth try you get goat.
Fifth try you get car.

Yes, the probability of you getting the car is higher in 'x' tries.

Now you decide to switch next time also because you got car most times when you decided to switch.

You choose to do this because of statistical reasons not because of probabilistic reasons. Because you look at the results and you understand that it is beneficial to switch in 'x' tries(emphasis on 'x' tries).

Now get this rob, you are in a show, you are given only 1 chance. How can you say that your chances of winning a car increases if you switch?

Yes, if there is 5 tries you get a car most times if you switch. But what if there is only 1 try?
Believing that you will get a car because you switched all the 5 times and will therefore get a car the next time is analogous to the situation where you get heads 1 million times after flipping a coin and believing that you will get a heads next time around too.
(March 13, 2016 at 8:51 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't think we're even talking about the same game.

You pick a door, the guy opens a door (which is not your door, or the prize door. Important!!!)you stick or change, he reveals the winning door. Game over.

I'm saying if you repeat this game N times, with a genuinely random placement of the prize between the 3 doors each time, on average you will win 2/3 of the time by changing.

It's the mean of a probability distribution. Like I say, if you don't know what that is, you need to learn about it.

I have a first class maths degree, I know what I'm talking about here.

If by genuinely random placement you mean each door will be picked the same amount of times through n iterations of the same game, then yes.

You can either address this or not, but whatever degree you have is irrelevant.
It's a probability calculation. If you assume the prize was genuinely randomly placed, you have a 2/3 chance to win if you switch. It's that simple. I don't know what the confusion is. It's not based on observations, it's based on exact statistical analysis.

It's like saying you can pick 1-2 on a dice, or 3-6. Which would you choose? You pick 3-6, because it's more likely to win if someone isn't screwing with the dice.

EP: address what? It's meant to be randomly placed initially. That's the point. If it isn't, I'm not talking about the same game as you.

The door he opens for you, however, is not random.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Edit ^^
(March 13, 2016 at 8:55 am)robvalue Wrote: It's a probability calculation. If you assume the prize was genuinely randomly placed, you have a 2/3 chance to win if you switch. It's that simple. I don't know what the confusion is. It's not based on observations, it's based on exact statistical analysis.

It's like saying you can pick 1-2 on a dice, or 3-6. Which would you choose? You pick 3-6, because it's more likely to win if someone isn't screwing with the dice.

EP: address what? It's meant to be randomly placed initially. That's the point. If it isn't, I'm not talking about the same game as you.

The door he opens for you, however, is not random.

What does random even mean?
No wait. It doesn't even matter if it's random or not. As long as I choose my first door randomly, he can't psych me out.

What does random mean?

Edit, sorry being rude.

Random means it has the same chance of being in every slot.

You guys are either messing with me, or you're seriously missing how the host works out which door to open. It's not random.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 13, 2016 at 8:58 am)robvalue Wrote: No wait. It doesn't even matter if it's random or not. As long as I choose my first door randomly, he can't psych me out.

Whether it's random or not is irrelevant. In order for you to know that you truly have a 2/3 chance to win if you switch you would have to also know that no matter how many times the game is played, each door will be chosen the same amount of times. For example, if they play it 999 times, then door 1 will be picked 333 times, door 2 333 times and door 3 333 times. Otherwise, door 1 could be picked 999 times and your switch strategy means shit if that's the door you're switching to and there's a goat behind it.
(March 13, 2016 at 8:58 am)robvalue Wrote: No wait. It doesn't even matter if it's random or not. As long as I choose my first door randomly, he can't psych me out.

What does random mean?

Edit:

Random means it has the same chance of being in every slot.

You guys are either messing with me, or you're seriously missing how the host works out which door to open. It's not random.

What does "has the same chance of being in every slot" mean?
If I randomly choose a number from 1 to 3, I have the same chance of picking each one.

Whether any real process is actually random is another matter.

No. I don't need to know that. If I choose randomly, then I can't be psyched out. It doesn't matter where he puts it, I have the same chance of being initially right. All that matters is whether I'm initially right, or not.

Index of my best videos
Roby, you win most times if you have more than one try and you decide to switch.

The conclusion is :
Therefore it is beneficial to switch given that you have more than a single try because you get more cars and less goats.
The conclusion is not :
Therefore it is beneficial to switch.

You don't have multiple tries in the question.

Are you seeing the fault in your logic?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solving a system of two trigonometric equations FlatAssembler 20 2434 August 9, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What's the probability that 3 out of 23 people will share the same birthday? FlatAssembler 28 4118 February 16, 2022 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Improving problem solving. RozKek 17 4178 January 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation GrandizerII 56 9698 October 31, 2016 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Frog probability Aractus 17 4156 April 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Probability question: names in hats robvalue 78 11666 March 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: emjay
  The Monty Hall problem Marsellus Wallace 11 4206 April 13, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The Monty Hall problem. Tiberius 47 16984 February 26, 2013 at 11:48 am
Last Post: PyroManiac
  Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems. leo-rcc 12 6061 March 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: tavarish
  The probability of the accuracy of probability itself? Etc. Edwardo Piet 15 6668 February 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot