Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 12:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Problem with Christians
RE: The Problem with Christians
(March 12, 2016 at 8:54 pm)AJW333 Wrote:
(March 11, 2016 at 7:59 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Magic book doesn't know anymore about astronomy than the people who wrote magic book.  Do you think it took magic?  I mean, rather than simply looking up, for example, to ask such questions?

When we look at the constellations, many of the figures that we see involve stars that are nowhere near each other. The Bible correctly stated that Pleiades was a cluster where the stars are in proximity, and that the stars in Orion are not. How did it know that?

This is the argument from ignorance, again. You're saying we don't know how they could have got this information, therefor you can make up that it was from God. If they had correct information, then determining how they got it is an entirely different matter. They don't get to just state it and have it be fact. If I knew something and you couldn't explain how I knew it, do I get to say it was from a magic talking frog? No. That is a further claim, which needs evidence.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 12, 2016 at 2:10 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 1:50 am)AJW333 Wrote: But RNA is made from DNA is it not?

No, Idiot, DNA is not required to produce RNA!
If the RNA virus needs a living host to replicate, and the host has DNA, are not the RNA viruses still dependent on DNA for their replication?

In terms of RNA viruses arising from chemical reactions, I'll need some scientific proof of this as it appears the origin of viruses is not clear.

"The origins of viruses are unclear: some may have evolved from plasmids—pieces of DNA that can move between cells—while others may have evolved from bacteria." Wiki

(March 12, 2016 at 8:00 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm)AJW333 Wrote: Studying the "magic book" does indeed tell us we are in the last days. If you study the Greek, you'll find that one of the signs of the lasts days is "nation rising against nation" and "kingdom against kingdom." The only time the world has been at war in such a manner is WWI and WWII. So from that time on, the last days have been in operation. It's anyone's guess as to how long this period will last.

You can't have the return of Christ until there is a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem and a range of other factors. The fact that people have missed this and misinterpreted Scripture doesn't make the Scripture wrong.

A failed prediction is one that doesn't happen by the time it was specified to happen.

It doesn't make half a shit's worth of a difference what anyone builds in Jerusalem, nor who kills who in that city - your utterly useless and nonexistent god will never, ever intervene. Fuckheads like you need to be put away for the violence which you stir up, as you are a certain doomsday threat to the human species.
It's interesting that I am asked to provide evidence for the validity of Scripture, and when I point to the impending fulfillment of prophecy (the temple rebuild), it means nothing. What are the chances of a man 2000 years ago accurately predicting the rebuilding of the Jewish temple when it was destroyed in AD 70 and the nation of Israel hasn't been in existence for even longer than that?

What violence am I stirring up?
(March 13, 2016 at 2:24 am)AJW333 Wrote: What are the chances of a man 2000 years ago accurately predicting the rebuilding of the Jewish temple when it was destroyed in AD 70 and the nation of Israel hasn't been in existence for even longer than that?

1) Even a clock that does not run is right twice a day.

2) If one waits long enough, pretty much anything will come true.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
And...

Again...

One part of a book being true says nothing about the rest of the book. Someone must already be convinced the whole book is true, otherwise this wouldn't convince anyone but the most gullible.

Anyone can write vague shit down and wait around until something like it happens. You should try horoscopes, it will blow your mind!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 13, 2016 at 2:53 am)IATIA Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 2:24 am)AJW333 Wrote: What are the chances of a man 2000 years ago accurately predicting the rebuilding of the Jewish temple when it was destroyed in AD 70 and the nation of Israel hasn't been in existence for even longer than that?

1) Even a clock that does not run is right twice a day.

3) Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Powerball Odds Are 1 In 175 Million and people (sometimes multiple) hit it all the time.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(March 11, 2016 at 7:56 pm)AJW333 Wrote: How did the Bible know about astronomical realities?

"God asked Job “Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion?” (Job 38:31). In the last century astrophysicists have discovered that the stars of Pleiades move in unison with each other, and are thus gravitationally bound. They have also discovered that the stars in the belt of Orion are free agents that are not gravitationally bound!6 Interestingly, the three stars that comprise Orion's belt appear to be closer  together than the outer stars in the constellation, but are actually farther apart! (they appear closer together because of the 2-D plane we see them in)." http://www.bibleevidences.com/scientif.htm

They didn't. You're back patching a modern translation onto the original words.

31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
(KJV)

In Greek mythology, the Pleiades were seven sisters who were roaming free. One binds that which is free, and loosens that which binds. The verse is simply consistent with the metaphor which described each phenomena. They no more knew that the belt of Orion were free stars than that they knew the Pleiades were maidens. Moreover, you're interpreting the verse as saying that God has done these things. But it's equally within the interpretation of the verse to suggest that God could do these things if he wanted to do so. In that case, if the situation were reversed, the Pleiades free and Orion bound, you'd simply interpret the verse as God pointing out the impotence of man, and, that God knew the Pleiades were free and Orion bound. Either way, you're able to interpret the passage in your favor. Heads you win, tails I lose is not much of a miracle.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

What temple are we talking about? The mosque on top of the temple mount?

Don't you even realize what nonsense this is right from the start? It's symbolistic gibberish for everyone to interpret in the way of his liking.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 12, 2016 at 10:06 pm)AJW333 Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 5:35 am)pocaracas Wrote: :???:
No, it's not.
I mean, it can be made from DNA, but need not be.
RNA is simpler than DNA.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/DNA_vs_RNA
I checked the whole page and found no proof that RNA is generated apart from DNA, just a theory that it did (in the video). I did see this though;

"Propagation  DNA is self-replicating.
 RNA is synthesized from DNA when needed.

It's always the same with people like you... Can't understand that this planet, once, didn't have DNA around... It had something else...
http://www.wired.com/2013/02/proto-rna/

"Origin-of-life researchers have long thought that RNA, the molecular cousin of the DNA that encodes our genes, may have played a starring role in the initial evolution of life from a soup of organic molecules. RNA has a simpler structure than DNA and is a more adept chemical catalyst. So it would seem that RNA-based life might arise more readily than DNA-based life.
“The nice thing [about the current study] is this is a demonstration of self-assembly in water,” says Ramanarayanan Krishnamurthy, an origin-of-life chemist at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego, California. “That is a step in the right direction.”

Certainly, the puzzle is not solved yet... But this research is promising results in line with the standard theory... From simple elements, molecules, some rudimentary form of genetics spontaneously appeared and then evolved to the complex DNA we see everywhere, today.
(March 13, 2016 at 10:53 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 2:53 am)IATIA Wrote: 1) Even a clock that does not run is right twice a day.

3) Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

Especially when you're trying to hit a dragon in its voolnerables.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8293 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32465 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52859 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christians : my problem with Christianity, some questions. WinterHold 115 20096 March 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The Problem of Evil, Christians, and Inconsistency Mudhammam 46 10575 September 24, 2014 at 5:22 am
Last Post: genkaus
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 16182 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 10018 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris