Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, I am aware that people disagree with me, especially here. I was stating what I personally believe to be true. And that is that morality is objective.

Sorry, but that doesn't compute, even on the most basic level. You'd have to consider everyone not following your set of morals as being immoral, given the above.

If morality was indeed objective, there had to be some invisible rulebook after all.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 15, 2016 at 4:51 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, I am aware that people disagree with me, especially here. I was stating what I personally believe to be true. And that is that morality is objective.

Sorry, but that doesn't compute, even on the most basic level. You'd have to consider everyone not following your set of morals as being immoral, given the above.

If morality was indeed objective, there had to be some invisible rulebook after all.

I know not everyone does. Not everyone thinks rape, torture, slavery, etc, is immoral. What I'm saying is I believe the people who think those things are moral, are incorrect. That's what I mean when I say morality is objective. I mean I think some things are inherently immoral even when people don't think they are.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I mean I think some things are inherently immoral even when people don't think they are.

That's what makes it subjective. It's your opinion vs. someone else's. Morality is a concept that cannot be rigidly defined (like say, mathematics), so nothing can be objective about it.

Even if God has his own ideas about what is moral, so do I. Furthermore, morals are only objective if they apply universally. There are plenty of examples in the Bible in which God acts in a manner which contradicts his own morals. If they only apply to humans, they are necessarily conditional morals.
(March 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I know not everyone does. Not everyone thinks rape, torture, slavery, etc, is immoral. What I'm saying is I believe the people who think those things are moral, are incorrect. That's what I mean when I say morality is objective. I mean I think some things are inherently immoral even when people don't think they are.
Every time you say the words "I think" or "in my opinion," you are contradicting your position. It doesn't matter what you think or believe. . . it's completely, absolutely irrelevant. Unless you have an OBJECTIVE REASON for holding your position, which you don't, then any conclusions you make about objective truth will be unsupported. What you have is a cultural weight of SUBJECTIVE "reasons"-- affirmations from your church friends, maybe a few deep-feeling experiences, and so on.
Maybe it isn't all that unreasonable.  I mean, I'm no objectivist myself but maybe it isn't a logically challenged position to think -even from within our entirely subjective points of view- that there are at the very least a set of best moral practices .. which no one is constrained to agree with.  I could think that these best practices exist even if I myself can never be sure I have them exactly right.  So I don't think C_L's position is deeply flawed.  i just don't think it can be justified adequately for an impartial judge to agree.

The existence of objectively best moral practices is something people can reasonably disagree about.  It isn't as brash a claim as belief in an omni-everything, intergalactic watch maker, but it is equally poorly supported.  Sometimes I wish theists would just leave it as a profession of faith and forget about all the arguments and apologetics.  In many cases I find they don't so much want to argue that atheists are wrong in their disbelief as they want to argue that the belief they have which separates us is reasonable too.
Well, she's saying anyone who disagrees is "wrong" but isn't giving a clear indication of what that actually means.

Of course they are wrong according to her criteria. That's how subjective morality works.

I think anyone who disagrees with my morality is wrong too. If I didn't, it wouldn't make any sense. But saying they are "objectively wrong" is to say that I'm aware of some correct way of measuring morality which everyone should be adhering to. I am not, and I don't believe anyone is. I think it's just a misuse of language.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
We're back to what I said on like page 3. That's why I bowed out of this thread so long ago.

The argument that objective morality exists because you believe there are things that are always right and wrong is just applying a the wrong word to a concept. You've literally just described subjective morality, that's it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Yup.

And we've explained how "god's opinion" is subjective anyway.

I perfectly respect someone saying they think rape is always wrong. (Although I can construct situations where I would personally question the judgement.) But I can't accept someone saying their way of assessing morality is objectively correct, unless they give a very strong argument why this is the case. Or how that is even coherent. If it's simply a matter of opinion, then that's the definition of subjective.

I've had the same problem with Roadrunner on another thread. I just don't think people are using the word "objective" properly.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 16, 2016 at 4:29 am)robvalue Wrote: Yup.

And we've explained how "god's opinion" is subjective anyway.

I perfectly respect someone saying they think rape is always wrong. (Although I can construct situations where I would personally question the judgement.) But I can't accept someone saying their way of assessing morality is objectively correct, unless they give a very strong argument why this is the case. Or how that is even coherent. If it's simply a matter of opinion, then that's the definition of subjective.

I've had the same problem with Roadrunner on another thread. I just don't think people are using the word "objective" properly.

They are using the word "objective" incorrectly but it's not by accident. They are using the word incorrectly because they have to, they are stuck working backwards from their conclusion that god exists and he's the source of morality.
Yeah...

It's an attempt to remove any doubt, I suppose.

To be fair, CL only says some things are objectively immoral. Which means morality as a whole is still subjective, even if this is conceded. Some people argue the whole of morality is objective, which is a million times more absurd.

And if God turned up and said, "Rape is good. Rape is in my nature", most Christians would still think it is immoral. So his opinion is only valid while it conforms to what they think his opinion should be.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm