Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The origin of biology
RE: The origin of biology
(March 17, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 17, 2016 at 9:58 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: mathematics. logic.

Are claiming that mathematics and logic are supernatural?

Please explain...

Oh, let him!  I'm just dying to see where he'll go with it.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(March 17, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 17, 2016 at 9:58 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: mathematics. logic.

Are claiming that mathematics and logic are supernatural?

Please explain...

@LadyCamus, I'm glad you're enjoying this Smile

@Simon.
Sure. I'll explain it below.

We agreed (myself and you, Simon) on the following definition of supernatural:

Quote:supernatural (or metaphysical, if you want) simply means a concept that exists outside the physical world.

concepts of mathematics (e.g. the mental concept of a differential equation, etc) exists outside the physical world. It exists even if you remove this entire world. Ergo, its a supernatural concept (as per the above definition).
(March 17, 2016 at 8:30 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: Mmm. There is a difference between a speculation, and a fact. The former is not supported by solid evidence. The latter is.
-and?

Quote:The nature of the origin of life will affect atheism. If it turns out to be super-natural, then that creates a problem for a naturalistic worldview, which is by far one of the strongest assumptions in atheism.

Atheism isn't about assumptions, or the supernatural.  Atheists don't believe in gods.  
-Full....stop-

If it turned out that gnomes took a magical shit and out popped life....not a problem for atheism. Understand?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 17, 2016 at 1:22 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: Hello everyone

Hope you're having a great day! Smile

There is currently no evidence-based scientific explanation for the origin of life. There is, however, a few potential speculations (e.g. RNA world theory, clay hypothesis, self-replication, etc).

Since there is no conclusive evidence for its origin, wouldn't the statement that ("life is only a natural phenomenon") be simply a belief?

How can an atheist claim that their world-view is based on evidence?

Doesn't this, at the very least, makes it simply equally possible for life to be either a natural or a super-natural phenomenon?

Now if someone chooses to reject the possibility of the super-natural because they don't like the idea of a super-natural being, then that's fine. But that can't be called evidence.

Bong
And what's the connection between the natural order and this "supernatural" one which you hint "might" just be responsible for life? What would the overarching order relating these two realms be called? The super-super-natural power? And what relates the super-super-natural power to the supernatural cause, which is related to the natural world through the super-super-natural power? A super-super-super natural power? Nah, I think I'll simply stick with "natural" causality so long as I have every reason to do so and nothing to suggest otherwise.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
The origin of biology
Where did you go, Truth? Funny that you're happy to spew oral diarrhea all over the place but as soon as you're asked to define your beliefs you've suddenly got marbles in your mouth.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

truth_seeker Wrote:
LadyForCamus Wrote:Way to miss my point entirely, lol.  You're fun.

No where in my post did I mention god.

I was specifically discussing the possibility of natural and the possibility of super-natural explanations.

Then it doesn't have anything at all to do with atheism.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
truth_seeker Wrote:I'm still really looking for a peer reviewed replicated experiment that was able to recreate abiogenensis in vitro.
If somebody can provide that to support the claim that abiogenensis is a fact, I will be very thankful and will retract all my statements.

Who asserted that abiogenesis was a fact?
truth_seeker Wrote:
Simon Moon Wrote:Are claiming that mathematics and logic are supernatural?

Please explain...

@LadyCamus, I'm glad you're enjoying this Smile

@Simon.
Sure. I'll explain it below.

We agreed (myself and you, Simon) on the following definition of supernatural:

Quote:supernatural (or metaphysical, if you want) simply means a concept that exists outside the physical world.

concepts of mathematics (e.g. the mental concept of a differential equation, etc) exists outside the physical world. It exists even if you remove this entire world. Ergo, its a supernatural concept (as per the above definition).
Mathematics is a method we use to describe things. We invented it. It's an abstraction that requires some kind of physical process to happen. It doesn't exist if you remove every object capable of mathematical abstraction or processing. You're claiming the map is more essential than the territory.
The origin of biology
(March 18, 2016 at 12:06 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
truth_seeker Wrote:I'm still really looking for a peer reviewed replicated experiment that was able to recreate abiogenensis in vitro.
If somebody can provide that to support the claim that abiogenensis is a fact, I will be very thankful and will retract all my statements.

Who asserted that abiogenesis was a fact?

Can't...see...through...all the straw! *waves arms frantically*

(March 17, 2016 at 1:22 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: Hello everyone

Hope you're having a great day! Smile

There is currently no evidence-based scientific explanation for the origin of life. There is, however, a few potential speculations (e.g. RNA world theory, clay hypothesis, self-replication, etc).

Since there is no conclusive evidence for its origin, wouldn't the statement that ("life is only a natural phenomenon") be simply a belief?

How can an atheist claim that their world-view is based on evidence?

Doesn't this, at the very least, makes it simply equally possible for life to be either a natural or a super-natural phenomenon?

Now if someone chooses to reject the possibility of the super-natural because they don't like the idea of a super-natural being, then that's fine. But that can't be called evidence.

Bong

Have you considered the following?
[Image: 7472708_orig.jpg]
Checkmate.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origin ShirkahnW 17 3039 January 23, 2018 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama