Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 1:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just When You Thought Arizona Couldn't Get Stupider...
RE: Just When You Thought Arizona Couldn't Get Stupider...
(April 18, 2011 at 8:03 am)JohnDG Wrote: You severly under estimating the types of weapons and preparedness of americans. We are a very serious people, we are not the dumb rednecks most believe we are. We must and will have only the latest and greatest and we have access to all military grade weapons excepted for armored vehicles and jet fighters ect. grenades, rockets, minuguns, 50 cals, assault rifles, kevlar vest we can get what ever we wish to pay for. the army is about 2million strong, the populace 330million. If ever there was any kind of crackdown we would simply ban together walk up to them, and say hello were a huge mob.

Also we are not the country that doesn't learn from it's enemies, if need be we will use every tactic we can think of, even those used against us in places like vietnam, or modern day iraq. We are taught about IED's in school now, we know how they use them, why they use them and simply we will use them if need be. We are a sponge that soaks up all the knowledge of war possible.

You're starting to sound a bit mental.

I am done with this thread now, it's been turned it into an "America...Fuck yeah!" thread. Nobody was ever saying Americans shouldn't have guns, people were just expressing their opinions on guns in general and how guns are viewed in their own countries. These opinions were shot down by a few Americans who seemed to think people were trying to take away their guns, freedoms and country just because they had the nerve to disagree with them.
Eh the post wasnt supposed to be that way. I was trying to put it through but it wasnt showing up to me. I agree with finishing this, you can't understand Americans if your not American, Just as we can't understand you.

Take in mind this is a HUGE subject in america and always will be.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
meh...Americans are dumb about guns Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 18, 2011 at 7:48 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Where exactly did I say you shouldn't have your guns?

It's your country, you can do what you damn well please.
...and yet we're not allowed to defend ourselves on this forum when we do what "we damn well please."

After the napalm, cluster bombs, long range artillery attacks, the missiles, the massed rocket attacks and chemical drops their biggest problem would hosing your mangled remains out of their tank tracks.
...that's actually pretty funny. Big Grin

To illustrate a point, this is your home army....
[youtube video]
Really? you're using a silly XBOX commercial to insult us now.

So when lots of devices whose designed purpose is to kill are held by lots of people whose I.Q can be measured on the fingers of one hand, expect consequences.
Everyone keeps insulting us while saying, "I don't care if you have guns" ... but you KEEP insulting us. Zen, I'll have you know that my IQ and most people I know is reasonably high.

I don't hate any of you people. In fact I speak for the majority of Americans when I say ... we don't hate any of you and we don't want to kill anybody. Most of us are good rational people who happen to own a firearm.

[Image: Evolution.png]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...death_rate

South africa looks pretty fucking dangerous!!!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 18, 2011 at 9:45 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: meh...Americans are dumb about guns Dunno

Odd that this sort of thing should be said when according to england the alternative is a nanny state. I'd call their position on guns pretty stupid Tongue

I am not owned by this government whilst I defend myself. If I must rely upon something else to defend me: the thing which protects its claim to me owns me. Hence why I need the capacity to defend myself both from the government and others who would attempt to claim what is mine.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I've rethought some of my positions on gun control (of course, I never got any feedback on what I posted earlier, sans some lout being a lout Dodgy ).

I see the reasons for owning a gun when your survival and safety are at stake. I recognize that any individual should be reasonably expected to defend their own life.

Ergo, I am against flat out banning of guns (full disarmament). However, I am also for a solution similar to Switzerland - fully train every civilian in the usage, safety and storage of firearms. Register and track who has the guns. Have a militia that maintains and drills people into careful firearm use. Etc, etc,.

I see the Swiss methodology as the most applicable to the United States, which currently is more loose about gun training et al, while the Swiss manage to keep a near ubiquitous weapons trade while suffering little gun related crime.

I'd like to the see the US do that.
REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politic...witzerland
Nonetheless, having a gun in your house makes it far more likely that it will be used to kill a) yourself, b) a friend, family member, or other relative, c) an innocent bystander, rather than some "criminal" which is the big boogeyman that the gun nuts hold out there.

As far as standing up to the "government" goes....if they are going to arrest you do you think they will send one cop with a revolver to your house? The SWAT team will be all over you like stink on shit and picking up a gun in that situation is probably about the single least safe thing you could do.
A good argument against loosening gun laws occurred in Arizona as well:
Quote:Joe Zamudio was out buying cigarettes last Saturday when he heard what sounded like fireworks but quickly realized were gunshots. He reached into his coat pocket for the 9-millimeter semiautomatic pistol he carried, clicking the safety off.

He heard yelling around him: "Shooter, shooter, get down!"

Zamudio saw a young man squirming on the ground and an older man standing above him, waving a gun.

Zamudio, 24, had his finger on the trigger and seconds to decide.

He lifted his finger from the trigger and ran toward the struggling men.

As he grabbed the older man's wrist to wrestle the gun away, bystanders yelled that he had the wrong man — it was the man on the ground who they said had attacked them and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.). The gun the older man was holding had been wrestled away from the shooter. Police later identified 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner as the suspect.

"I could have very easily done the wrong thing and hurt a lot more people," said Zamudio, who helped subdue the suspect until authorities arrived.

"It's easy to say we have an easy fix here: All we need is more law-abiding citizens carrying guns," said John J. Donohue III, a law professor at Stanford University. "But in the real world, it's not that clear-cut."

Zamudio does not understand why some think it's so horrible to allow people to carry guns.

"If you never had a gun, never seen a gun in your life, maybe you shouldn't buy a gun," he said. But if you're scared, "you shouldn't live in that fear."

Zamudio said he realized that the same laws that allowed him to conceal his gun also allowed the Tucson shooter to get within feet of the victims. But he said more restrictive laws would not stop such determined criminals.

"They act like the government can control this," he said. "It's not about the government. It's about people failing each other."

Zamudio admits being conflicted about some of Arizona's more extreme gun legislation, including a proposed law allowing college faculty and students to carry concealed guns on campus. State legislators plan to take up the issue this month.

He imagined students might get angry during a debate about some controversial topic like religion and draw their guns.

But at the same time, he worried about a replay of the shooting rampage at Virginia Tech in 2007 when a student killed 32 classmates and faculty before committing suicide.

"There can be the Virginia Tech guy pushing the door open and maybe you're sitting in the audience ready for him," Zamudio said. "It's all about who's holding them. The person holding the gun is the factor. It's not the gun."

It's all fine and dandy in many gun-advocates examples where the enemy is obvious, but I do wonder, what about a situation where people have trouble identifying the enemy?

I also wonder what would happen if some crazy guy started shooting amid a busy crowd of people, many carrying concealed weapons. The prospect of misfired shots and "shooting gallery" come to mind.

REF: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/14/...g-20110115

Addendum: f-ing LAtimes and their poor sense of using paragraphs.
(April 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: As far as standing up to the "government" goes....if they are going to arrest you do you think they will send one cop with a revolver to your house? The SWAT team will be all over you like stink on shit and picking up a gun in that situation is probably about the single least safe thing you could do.

I have been wondering for a while now by what they meant by "standing up to the government"?. Don't think going up to a town hall or the White House with a shot gun will do much other than landing behind bars or ending up shot yourself.
Just curious by what they meant by that...Thinking
Shoot the police? Shoot politicians?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1884 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  I'm starting to just get exhausted of this adminstration what about you? GODZILLA 34 3520 December 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2312 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  How Crazy Is Arizona? Minimalist 19 1936 November 13, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1096 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 5066 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Just Don't Get Sick! Minimalist 6 873 June 19, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Minimalist 0 347 June 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Is The Kind Of Dumb Shit We Get Running in Arizona Minimalist 7 1315 May 20, 2018 at 8:15 am
Last Post: brewer
  Dear Texass, This Is What You Get For Not Regulating Corporations Minimalist 16 2015 March 16, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger