Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 7:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No one is an atheist
RE: No one is an atheist
Then I feel sorry for you cinjin, you must have been hurt by theists a lot in the past. Perhaps one day you'll see there's a difference between standing up for what you believe in and beating people over the head with it. Honestly calling for an eradication of Christianity, and thus the connotatively condemning all Christians, is exactly the kind of things those "Christians" you seem to hate have been doing. How's that eye-for-an-eye working out for you?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(April 18, 2011 at 9:12 am)tackattack Wrote: Then I feel sorry for you cinjin, you must have been hurt by theists a lot in the past. Perhaps one day you'll see there's a difference between standing up for what you believe in and beating people over the head with it. Honestly calling for an eradication of Christianity, and thus the connotatively condemning all Christians, is exactly the kind of things those "Christians" you seem to hate have been doing. How's that eye-for-an-eye working out for you?

Shouldn't that question be posed to you??? "Eye for an eye" comes out of YOUR bible pal. Not mine. Way to make no point at all. If anything, eye for an eye would make ME a better christian. Which makes the whole point even stupider since eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth was plagiarized from Hammurabi's Code (along with a multitude of other things). god, you're whole religion is just such a fucking joke. Study the history or your religion rather than the "revealed" doctrines and your eyes will be opened. Well, they would be if you weren't brainwashed.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:what's wrong with being an idiot?

I guess, coming from a Christian, I shouldn't be surprised at this question. When you want to hinder science because it conflicts with your religious beliefs, don't feel bad when we're passed by all other countries when it comes to scientific advancement.
(April 16, 2011 at 12:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I wanna buy me a "utilikilt" and see how my employer and fellow work buddies react to it...I imagine I will get lots of laughs.

Look, I'm going to end the matter, because you will get laughs...

Easy access. I'm just sayin'.

My honey got his family's tartan out on Sat because he has to get it resized to reflect the weight he's lost. That was fun. Smile

(April 17, 2011 at 8:46 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I asked my wife that same question. She answered: "nothing at all. In fact, I married one."

I want to drink with your wife. We should figure out how to arrange this.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 18, 2011 at 12:15 am)Cinjin Cain Wrote: What the hell difference does it make to my point of WHY they showed up to church??? The point is they KNOW they are possibly subjecting themselves to a preacher.
Likewise, when you go outside and walk around in public places, you should know you are possibly subjecting yourself to those same people, because they have as much freedom as you do to speak their mind in public. Unless you think that allowing people that freedom is bad?

Quote:Nice splitting hairs. Oh and if you prefer to not be called an idiot. ok. I know you like to call yourselves sheep ... is that better? Sheep.
Nice job dodging the question so you could take a cheap shot and call me names. I didn't say I don't want to be called an idiot, I asked what is wrong with being an idiot. Twice. And you failed to answer the question both times.

Quote:provide evidence. LMAO ... I was born and raised in the christian system.
The 'Christian system'? And what, pray tell, is the 'Christian system'? Yes I am asking you to provide evidence, what is so funny about that? You'd ask me the same in reference to God. Your 'evidence' is bunk at best. This:

Quote:By age 18, I had attended 19 different churches regularly (not including visiting churches). I'm a goddamn expert at spotting lunatics. And fundies are LUNATICS!!
is not evidence at all. First of all, Fundies =/= all Christians, nor Christianity itself. Second, you've just displayed an immense amount of arrogance in saying that your experience makes you 'a goddamn expert' at spotting lunatics. All you've proven is that you posess a deep anti-Christian bias, and that you allow it to color your perspective without proper consideration of other viewpoints. You're spouting your opinion as fact, buddy. You've let your experience with Christians in the past lock the doors of the future for you.

And you call me the sheep.

Quote:I draw YOUR attention to your own definition. What about your #2 has ANYTHING to do with discussion. I can't argue with someone who simply says that two COMPLETELY different words mean the same thing. Maybe YOU'RE the lunatic. Preaching (even according your definition) is not discussing and it is NOT welcome in this DISCUSSION forum.
Do I really have to do this?

Quote:2. To advocate, especially to urge acceptance of or compliance of that preacher's agenda.

Quote:1. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
2. A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.
When you hold an 'earnest conversation', on a topic, you generally have your own views or beliefs on the subject. You present them, you preach as in: (2. To advocate, especially to urge acceptance of or compliance of that preacher's agenda.) them, and then you listen to others as they present their viewpoints on the matter. Here:

Quote:Also, a discussion forum is an open, public place for exactly that; discussion. A discussion forum should be a place in which one brings their beliefs to the table and expresses them as openly as possible, then listens to and critiques or debates with others' thoughts on the matter being discussed. The first part sounds like preaching to me.

Still sounds like there will be 'preaching', albeit in a loose sense, going on.

Quote:Oh I see ... I got it. All that "harmless" door to door witnessing and and handing out salvation tracks and trying to get children to go to bible camp ... that's all just for fun.
Why have you put the word harmless in quotations? You have not provided any evidence nor demonstrated in any way that door to door witnessing, handing out salvation tracts, or trying to get children to go to Bible camp are harmful acts at all. But yet here you are, implying with quotation marks that these things are, in fact, harmful. tell me, how are any of these things harmful at all?

Quote:You don't actually want to change anybody's faith or make anyone see your own precious "light".
Your words, not mine.

Quote:You preach because you want it out there, you want to change people
No shit.

Quote:and you WANT to jam it down our throats.
It depends on your idea of jamming it down throats. Your definition of this seems to be 'being a believer in any way, shape, or form. Especially in public!'

Quote:Yes, multiple times I have been accosted by Christians and so have my friends and several times it actually was outside a rock concert. I justify basing my entire opinion of the christian demographic because I went to churches that contained 100s and 100s of those exact same people. I was one of your dirty little flock of sheep.
You still can't justify basing your view of all Christians on those '100s and 100s' of people, dude. There are millions of Christians throughout the world! '100s and 100s' is a tiny percentage of those people, not nearly enough to base an opinion on.

Quote:Hey, you ever think that the very reason you've met very few Buddhists is BECAUSE they aren't out pushing their religion down everyones throat.
No, I think it's because very few Buddhists live in the small Illinois town I live in. And even if they were out attempting to spread their religion, what would be the problem with that? As long as they were being civil and respectful about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:They respect other people's rights not to be PREACHED at. Actually you made my point for me. Thankyou.
Actually, there is no right to 'not be preached at' in public places. Public places are exactly that; ]public. Anyone can say anything as long as it does not present a 'clear and present danger' to anyone else. At least that's how it is legally phrased in the US. Do you live in another country?

Quote: Nobody does arrogance like Christianity.
I dunno, you're giving them a pretty good run for their fuckin' money.

Quote:Apparently for everyone in your religion ... absolutely nothing.
Hey you wanna talk about side-stepping, bro?

Quote:I can't argue with a man who admits that he's an idiot.
I never said I was an idiot. I asked what is wrong with being an idiot. And you have failed to answer that question twice now. Hey you know what though, here:

"I know that I know nothing." -Socrates

I'm guessing, by your standards, that makes Socrates an idiot. Right?

Quote:You and your religion are a plague and maybe 1000 years from now people will look back on it as they look back on Zeus and Apollo. A funny fairy tale to laugh about.
How are we a plague? I'm a pretty nice person. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt when I meet them and make friends with as many people as I can. I go to school and I don't get great grades but at least I admit it. I exercise moral judgement, I like to make people laugh, I eat sleep and shit the same way you do, Cinjin. And yet I have had to walk you through this as though you were a small child. And you're calling me arrogant? Do you really want to talk about arrogance, when you put yourself on a pedestal above approximately 2 to 3 billion people who adhere to the teachings of Christ (aka 'Christians') just because you think differently than they do?!

With all due respect? Go fuck yourself.
(April 18, 2011 at 10:15 am)Cinjin Cain Wrote:

I'm very well versed in both the historicity and the practice of my faith. Eye for an eye was to keep the punishment from going above and beyond what had been done to you. You are absolutely right in that you don't follow the practice. That's evidenced by the fact that you're on the bandwagon for condemning all Christians for the few that hurt you. You can be as belligerent as you like, but it was genuine compassion, not pity, I was trying to show. I don't typically practice any vengeful practices at all because I'm a pacifist, but if I were, it would be justified and balanced with the crime. Your sweeping, hateful generalizations are truly a sad example of why poor Christians make angry atheists, and both, while more prevalent than we'd all like, suit stereotypes to tee. If you just want target practice go find some fundie somewhere other than here, because here we're about rational and productive discussion.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Summer Goddess Wrote:Look, I'm going to end the matter, because you will get laughs...

Easy access. I'm just sayin'.
How misandronistic of you! Are all we men just a hunk of meat for you women?!?
Infinite Summer Goddess Wrote:My honey got his family's tartan out on Sat because he has to get it resized to reflect the weight he's lost. That was fun.
You made him put it on..I know it!!! Just so you can get your rocks off! Well, Im here to tell you that we men are burning our tighty wighties! Thats right. We arent conforming to your image of us any more!
Jewish Queen Wrote:I want to drink with your wife. We should figure out how to arrange this.
My wife does the same thing as I do, heavy industrial electrician work. Her last job was running the high voltage cables for the light rail that goes from Norfolk to Virginia Beach. We would love to have you and your boyfriend over for food and drinks...and we cook WELL! I will break out my tower smoker and smoke a beef or pork brisket for 12 hours (fuck yeah its kosher!). My wifes NC BBQ sauce is excellent. I'll wip up some Cajin corn bread, my wife makes some excellent home made mac and cheese and a lard crust apple pie from scratch. We can play "asshole" the rest of the night and you can crash on the lazyboy furniture afterwards. Good times with good people.
Good lord, four people who know how to cook with sick senses of humor in the same room?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Going way back to the original post, mainly because I'm new here and just getting into the conversation, I really, really don't understand why it is that Christians feel it necessary to convince themselves that there really are no atheists at all. I've seen posts like that many, many times where they try to use twisted logic to "prove" that atheists don't exist.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(April 19, 2011 at 6:14 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Good lord, four people who know how to cook with sick senses of humor in the same room?

Thats why we play asshole. Its a great card game for those who have a nutty sense of humor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2949 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2407 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The One Thing the Atheist Misunderstands Sonny 255 41329 December 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I am now one seriously conflicted Atheist.. Help??? LostDays 47 10149 November 6, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3488 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Even us atheist don't realize one thing LogicOrDie 8 2362 September 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can one be Atheist and Superstitious? Goosebump 45 7311 August 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3496 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12736 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6367 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist