Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one
The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one
Very much the claim of the Christian runs along the lines that the Christian view provides a superior context more in tune with our desire to continue living than the Atheist view. Since, under the Atheist view we will all eventually die it will all be for naught in the end. Whereas in the Christian view the afterlife avoid this pessimistic outcome.

Obviously this approach ignores which view is true and better supported by the evidence so it is more judging both views in a vacuum so to speak. It seems to be just a variation of the "without God there is nothing to live for" claim.

Have you ever encountered this claim before? If you were to judge both views in a vacuum, would you choose the Christian view due to your desire to continue living and because what you did in your life would have mattered "more"?
RE: The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one
I would be turned off by the haughtiness of the Christian view
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
People have always wanted to live after they die. They have found artifacts buried with people in ancient graves. They assume it was for them to take with them in the after life.

Why do I need to live after I die? Aren't I dead? Its ok! Cats, dogs, birds every other living thing eventually expires. My educated guess is that so will I.

What bothers me, is if you believe something different, FINE. But dont tell me I am wrong and dont judge me because I believe (or dont) in something different

As far as "it is for naught" christians are taught that their works don't get them to heaven, it's their faith. So...what they do is for naught as well. god or no god, dont we owe it to our fellow man to take care of each other and make sure that the time we are alive is good for EVERYONE? Not just like minded people?
In my own case I was a little disappointed to realize I wouldn't be having the fullness of eternity to get to see how everything played out and to grow wise and all knowing. I have to admit it was easier to give up on the idea that a flying fat bearded man brought presents down the chimney we never had. But then I had experience dealing with the knowledge that I'd never be as powerful as Superman or as fast as the Flash so I got over it.
All religions teach superiority. At best the liberals in them may accept others as being good too, but still buy into a social pecking order that puts them on top.

The evolutionary reason is that humans would not have evolved in the same way without cooperation. When a group cooperates it provides more opportunity for resources and ability to produce offspring. The sense of control over your environment is what is going on. Religions are invented by humans because of gap filling and flawed perceptions, that do create groups that provide social order.

The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their social order around false polytheistic god claims that were not true.
(October 26, 2014 at 11:13 am)Brian37 Wrote: The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their social order around false polytheistic god claims that were not true.

Thank god those false god claims were not of the true variety. Wink
(October 26, 2014 at 11:16 am)whateverist Wrote:
(October 26, 2014 at 11:13 am)Brian37 Wrote: The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their social order around false polytheistic god claims that were not true.

Thank god those false god claims were not of the true variety. Wink

Yea the more I am on line having witnessed arguments from every major religion using the same arguments, I always take the time out to remind people who debate specific labels to keep our evolutionary history in mind.

Sure go after Christianity as a claim, but it still is the same flawed perception that produced Christianity that produces all religions just like the flawed perceptions of the Ancient Egyptians.
if i had to sum this up in 2 pictures.

Christian worldview
[Image: rainbow-road1.jpg]
so people are either willingly ignorant to reality or they have no concept of reality because of religion. this is pretty pathetic. and don't want to learn anything that conflicts with god or religion. your to blind by your own religion and dogma to see how truly the bible and its teachings are in control of you and you defend it without looking at the other side trying to help you.

atheist worldview
[Image: inline.new_zealand_milford_sound_road.jpg?itok=Av2rSQci]
you pretty much know and understand and want to learn about the world behind you. you know knowledge out there hurts people of certain religion(s). but you don't let that stop you and you have the ability to dodge and see though bullshit coming your way.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I find it sad that humans default to their flawed perceptions far too often. It is an unfortunate part of reality. The good part is our species also has the ability to question and test which also is unfortunate that it always takes the few who do that to drag the others into the future.

Atheists are not fatalistic or pessimistic because we see both the good and bad in life as natural and not some game between a fictional super hero vs a fictional super villain. We simply do not assign what we observe to superstition or god claims.
I usually invite xtians to go shit in their hats.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4039 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3104 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3415 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3698 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35415 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 566 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2757 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1391 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4919 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3946 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince