Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 4:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/liberal correlation
RE: Atheist/liberal correlation
As atheist as they come, and probably as liberal as they come. Why liberal? Because I believe change is a universal constant and an inevitability. Because I believe in sharing resources and helping those in need of it. Because I see a world that is becoming more interconnected and slowly, slooowly beginning to realise that perhaps the scary, differently-coloured people over yonder are not so scary/inferior/different to us after all.

Oh, plus weed is fucking amazing and I'm a huge fan of its work Tongue
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(July 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:I've noticed that...most folks here seem to at least think they care about people,yet I have seen no anger directed at our homegrown terrorist organization. No black man alive today was ever enslaved by the US, and frankly their own people sold them to the slave traders. If they hadn't come here they'd probably be lying in the mud somewhere in africa dying of Ebola or AIDS. There is so much reverse discrimination now it's ridiculous. Slavery was a terrible thing, but many countries still do it, many people are suffering and dying right now in slavery...these US blacks have everything at their fingertips- loads of scholarships ands grants for black folks, but instead many of them just draw welfare or unemployment and sit on their butts, or sell drugs, and complain that they have been slaves! So they want more free stuff.

Unless they were born in Africa and moved to the US, there is no need for hyphens. They are just AMERICANS. Not "African-Americans". Ridiculous.

I feel you, brother.

My, you turned out to be a little racist shitstain, didn't you?

Boru

Wow. Where do you live? I would very much like to get together in person to discuss this.

(July 22, 2016 at 6:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I thought were were exploring the liberal/conservative rift and how it might apply to atheism..not imagining that africa was full of cartoon characters..either now or at any point in the past?

cartoon characters? I don't follow. I made a statement I considered to be factual and got hammered by an idiot calling me racist. I honestly don't see color, I think the entire concept of segregation and discrimination based on pigmentation is the stupidest thing human beings have ever done. I don't pussyfoot around the issue precisely because I am NOT racist- I call a spade a spade, if you will. I'm talking about spades here, not people.

I don't know what turned people today into whiny, wimpy, overly sensitive morons, but I sure hope we find a way to fix it.

Things are a lot more like they used to be, than they are now. Cool
You posted in the right place as far as I can tell.

You seem to have a very lively personality, I like that. Don't turn sour, like I did. I used to be an adventurer like you, you know, but then I got an arrow to the knee and all that.

First of all, I'm going to state the obvious(for whatever reason). Atheists are generally liberal in your country, but that doesn't necessarily imply that atheism is directly correlated with any political preference in particular in an individual. You are the perfect example to show this idea to be nothing more than a rule of thumb.

As for why it is generally the case that American atheists tend to be liberal, I don't know, frankly. I haven't studied American history enough to draw anything close to an informed conclusion on the matter. But if I had to guess, it's probably got something to do with the geographical placement of the first European immigrants to settle on American land. Some populations were more religious than others, and some religious sects, in turn, were more liberal than others, I imagine, and so, as time went on, these and other factors contributed to the political and religious variety you witness today.

I've also got a pet theory that probably isn't very scientific. Maybe temperament has got something to do with it, and maybe climate can influence temperament in a people. This would explain a lot about the living hells on earth where the crazier religions seem to have appeared in the past and where they thrive even today. But I'm sure there are many exceptions to this, and so if there's anything to it, it's probably just one small piece of the puzzle.

It gladdens me to see you have an interest in science as well. The universe is vast and wonderful indeed. Wink
(July 22, 2016 at 6:15 pm)Imaginaryfriendless Wrote: cartoon characters? I don't follow. I made a statement I considered to be factual and got hammered by an idiot calling me racist. I honestly don't see color, I think the entire concept of segregation and discrimination based on pigmentation is the stupidest thing human beings have ever done. I don't pussyfoot around the issue precisely because I am NOT racist- I call a spade a spade, if you will. I'm talking about spades here, not people.

I don't know what turned people today into whiny, wimpy, overly sensitive morons, but I sure hope we find a way to fix it.

Sure you follow.  You;ve probably heard of a little place called egypt, at least...if not the many pre-colonial empires that dotted the african continent.    I don't know when people turned into wimpy, overly sensitive morons....but you're being awfully wimpy and sensitive for having been called out as a spade...yeah...the shovel...so maybe you can tell me? Wink  

Now, back to trying to find some way to get two seemingly opposed viewpoints together on something.  You never answered my question about all the ways that you can effect the free food model.  I offered them up, because I'm almost certain that there's at least, conceptually, a way to achieve that apparently liberal goal -while engaging in stereo-typically "conservative" activities.  I mean...I've been doing it for a few years, so....? Willing to bet it's not the only example. Can you think of a conservative goal that could be effected by stereotypically liberal activities?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 22, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: You posted in the right place as far as I can tell.

You seem to have a very lively personality, I like that. Don't turn sour, like I did. I used to be an adventurer like you, you know, but then I got an arrow to the knee and all that.

First of all, I'm going to state the obvious(for whatever reason). Atheists are generally liberal in your country, but that doesn't necessarily imply that atheism is directly correlated with any political preference in particular in an individual. You are the perfect example to show this idea to be nothing more than a rule of thumb.

As for why it is generally the case that American atheists tend to be liberal, I don't know, frankly. I haven't studied American history enough to draw anything close to an informed conclusion on the matter. But if I had to guess, it's probably got something to do with the geographical placement of the first European immigrants to settle on American land. Some populations were more religious than others, and some religious sects, in turn, were more liberal than others, I imagine, and so, as time went on, these and other factors contributed to the political and religious variety you witness today.

I've also got a pet theory that probably isn't very scientific. Maybe temperament has got something to do with it, and maybe climate can influence temperament in a people. This would explain a lot about the living hells on earth where the crazier religions seem to have appeared in the past and where they thrive even today. But I'm sure there are many exceptions to this, and so if there's anything to it, it's probably just one small piece of the puzzle.

It gladdens me to see you have an interest in science as well. The universe is vast and wonderful indeed. Wink

An intelligent person! Willing to discuss things in a calm and enlightening way! I think I need to head for Vegas, my luck has turned. Thank you.

If the craziness of my life hasn't soured me, and I've reached retirement now, this forum certainly can't do it. No worries.

Your pet theory mirrors my own. I've actually researched aggression and temperature correlations. It's blatantly obvious that hot climates produce angry people, cold harsh climates produce quiet, stubborn people, and moderate climates, that don't require lots of hard work and cooperation to survive in...produce fruitcakes.

(July 22, 2016 at 6:33 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 22, 2016 at 6:15 pm)Imaginaryfriendless Wrote: cartoon characters? I don't follow. I made a statement I considered to be factual and got hammered by an idiot calling me racist. I honestly don't see color, I think the entire concept of segregation and discrimination based on pigmentation is the stupidest thing human beings have ever done. I don't pussyfoot around the issue precisely because I am NOT racist- I call a spade a spade, if you will. I'm talking about spades here, not people.

Sure you follow.  You;ve probably heard of a little place called egypt, at least...if not the many pre-colonial empires that dotted the african continent.    I don't know when people turned into wimpy, overly sensitive morons....but you're being awfully wimpy and sensitive for having been called out as a spade...yeah...the shovel...so maybe you can tell me?  Wink  

Now, back to trying to find some way to get two seemingly opposed viewpoints together on something.  You never answered my question about all the ways that you can effect the free food model.  I offered them up, because I'm almost certain that there's at least, conceptually, a way to achieve that apparently liberal goal -while engaging in stereo-typically "conservative" activities.  I mean...I've been doing it for a few years, so....?  Willing to bet it's not the only example.  Can you think of a conservative goal that could be effected by stereotypically liberal activities?

Hmm..I must be an idiot, I have no idea what you are talking about. How does any of that relate to cartoon characters? And when did you ask me a question about your free food for everyone paradigm? I also fail to see how your statistically irrelevant model proves anything...? lol...and when, exactly, did I act sensitive? I find all of this amusing, if it stops being amusing I'll turn off my computer and go do something else- I'm not the least bit angry or upset...you wouldn't believe what it takes to anger or upset me.

I don't know how it relates to cartoon characters, but that's how you described africans...who were grinding the earth and all comers to dust under their feet when my ancestors (and I'm guessing yours too) were savages living under piles of mud with grass on the roof.....and that's the point.

If my statistically irrelevant model proves anything..it;s that handing out free food has nothing to do with imagined liberal utopias or laziness or any of that shit.  It's a good way to get a writeoff, it's good pr, it brings my profitable business -to me-, and it eliminates waste in my business model.....all so I can secure an roi orders of magnitude greater than the statistically relevant model.  That's me...apparently being a liberal.  Does that sound super liberal, to you?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Wow. Where do you live? I would very much like to get together in person to discuss this.

New Zealand. I await your arrival with torpid disinterest.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Well. That was interesting. I learned some things. 

Liberals are the most intolerant bunch I have ever been associated with,

Liberals blow things out of proportion, for dramatic effect, I presume.

Liberals are overly emotional and waaayyy too sensitive.

I like it here, but the judgmental bullshit is hard to take. Wow. One comment, nobody asks for clarification, nobody says "that seems racist, what exactly do you mean?"

Nope. Everybody starts posting derogatory remarks, name calling...pretty damned pathetic. Every liberal group I've ever had anything to do with has been this way.

I have the freedom to say what I want. It's my right. If you disagree, you have the right to confront me. But this pansy ass name calling and belittling...well, I sure wish we could speak in person. 

I'm amazed at the behavior of people who have triple digit IQ's. Wow. Now I REALLY want to start the revolution if Hillary wins. We'd be doomed.

I'm left of center, and I only vote for Democrats because they are always the lesser of two evils. Neither party cares about the common man, but one party(Republicans) is completely bought and paid for by big business interests (much more so than the Dems) that lead us to an ever-expanding wage gap and the middle class getting shit on.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 22, 2016 at 6:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I don't know how it relates to cartoon characters, but that's how you described africans...who were grinding the earth and all comers to dust under their feet when my ancestors (and I'm guessing yours too) were savages living under piles of mud with grass on the roof.....and that's the point.

If my statistically irrelevant model proves anything..it;s that handing out free food has nothing to do with imagined liberal utopias or laziness or any of that shit.  It's a good way to get a writeoff, it's good pr, it brings my profitable business -to me-, and it eliminates waste in my business model.....all so I can secure an roi orders of magnitude greater than the statistically relevant model.  That's me...apparently being a liberal.  Does that sound super liberal, to you?

Yes. Because you are not providing all of there food they need, in perpetuity. It has to be seen as a permanent fixture, to become a right versus a privilege. THAT is where your problems will begin.

I wrote glowingly of africans, because I've been to Africa and am hugely impressed by their accomplishments. Maasai warriors are amazing, beyond belief. Where in the world did I describe them negatively? You keep referencing Egypt...I've spent considerable time in Cairo. The vast majority of US slaves came from western africa, where they were living in mud huts, not building pyramids.

(July 22, 2016 at 6:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Wow. Where do you live? I would very much like to get together in person to discuss this.

New Zealand.  I await your arrival with torpid disinterest.

Boru

Figures. Brave man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4331 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence? Dystopia 40 7227 July 4, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  is there anyone else who has beliefs that are both conservative and liberal? leodeo 15 5975 March 7, 2014 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Bittersmart