Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 9:35 pm

Poll: What kind of atheist are you; passive, neutral or active?
This poll is closed.
Active (anti-religion)
50.00%
16 50.00%
Neutral (not pro- or anti-religion)
46.88%
15 46.88%
Passive (opposed to active atheism)
3.13%
1 3.13%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active/Passive Atheist?
RE: Active/Passive Atheist?
Voted active as I think that religions is opiate of the people and threat for those who think differently. Having said that I don't do much to oppose it as I'm not interested in preaching, though I'm not holding back if asked.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
Hey Ivan, good to see you Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I strive to be an actively passive aggressive atheist, but on the down low.
(July 11, 2016 at 2:02 am)Detachable Wrote: 1) Active (I'm anti-theist and anti-religion. I think religion has negative and dangerous consequences in many spheres and I feel a personal duty to oppose it.)

That's me.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I'm personally not impressed when someone is an atheist, it's like someone figuring out that Santa isn't real.

What I'm impressed with are people like Hitchens who were active Anti-theists that spoke out against religion and told people what horseshit it was in plain non-PC language.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
(August 12, 2016 at 9:19 am)MJ the Skeptical Wrote: I'm personally not impressed when someone is an atheist ..

What I'm impressed with are people .. who were active Anti-theists that spoke out against religion and told people what horseshit it was in plain non-PC language.

Try it with a different subject.

Quote:I'm personally not impressed when someone is (just) a non-helmet-wearing cyclist.

What I'm impressed with are people .. who were total scoff-laws that spoke out against helmets and told people what horseshit it was in plain non-PC language.

Cuz being an asshole about something is bad ass.
I don't like the terms in this poll. I'm active in calling out the bigotry of fundamentalist theists, but I stop there. I know too many theists in my personal life that aren't causing me any harm. I would certainly prefer it if they weren't theists, but I have no reason to push them on that.
(July 15, 2016 at 11:56 am)Whateverist Wrote: I think what motivates you is your own disposition to "do something".  My disposition is to try and understand how people can be so different.  As one sort of person, my disposition is not to persuade the others to be more like me.  

Have you ever wondered why god belief goes back further than historical record can follow and seems nearly pervasive every where humans have lived?

Does it........is it? Citations?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Shit.  How should I know in any scholarly way.  Lets roll the wiki dice and see what they say.

First up, the ancient-claim.  Okay, so far as the history of religion involves writing, this indicates the two are equally ancient. 

wiki Wrote:The history of religion refers to the written record of human religious experiences and ideas. This period of religious history begins with the invention of writing about 5,200 years ago (3200 BCE). The prehistory of religion relates to a study of religious beliefs that existed prior to the advent of written records. The timeline of religion is a comparative chronology of religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_religions

But then what about the practices which fed into written forms of religion?

wiki Wrote:Mircea Eliade writes, "A first definition of this complex phenomenon, and perhaps the least hazardous, will be: shamanism = 'technique of religious ecstasy'."[5] Shamanism encompasses the premise that shamans are intermediaries or messengers between the human world and the spirit worlds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

Then I found this timeline:

wiki Wrote:100th to 34th century BC[edit]
9831 BCE
The Neolithic Revolution begins and results in a worldwide population explosion. The first cities, states, kingdoms, and organized religions begin to emerge. The early states were usually theocracies, in which the political power is justified by religious prestige. Beginning of First Sangam, Hinduism 'Shivan' period in South India.[citation needed]

(Timeline continues.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion

I don't find much to support my everywhere-claim.  Presumably humans in the new world would already have such belief systems before they ever migrated here.

Admittedly, none of this is rock solid but these weak citations do at least address my claims.  I'd be awfully surprised if a rock solid case could be made for either my claims or their negation given the insubstantial nature of the practices involved.  But mostly I claim these things because they jive with my own hunches about the development and recorded history of our species.  Archeology isn't one of my skill sets.  I lean more toward psychological introspection and seat-of-the-pants philosophizing myself.
But then I googled "what does anthropology have to say about .." and found:

wiki Wrote:The perspective of modern anthropology towards religion is the projection idea, a methodological approach which assumes that every religion is created by the human community that worships it, that "creative activity ascribed to God is projected from man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology_of_religion

This is precisely what I think god belief is about. I would only add that I believe the invention of religion/projection was not deliberate. There was no First (used car) Mover. There was just a natural inclination toward inputting intention to what happens to you, a great idea when it was frequently enough hostile, human neighbors gunning for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have an active faith houseofcantor 20 6081 October 12, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Being an atheist is not passive, it requires an active stance Dystopia 33 8978 May 27, 2015 at 9:22 am
Last Post: comet