Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real religion?
RE: The real religion?
(August 18, 2016 at 8:33 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Well I hope it's entertaining and you are enjoying yourself. Wink

Very much so Big Grin
(August 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Also not based on any cultural mythos but there are common themes and parallels.

I hammered it out for myself with pure logic and geometry.

I agree. Because I distinctly remembered not noticing that.

Wait... sorry I meant I disagree.
(August 18, 2016 at 8:38 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: No, it's objective and absolute. Having real, detectable, measurable influence on all universal phenomenon.

Well I've certainly noticed this deity.

Wait, what is it again?

Are looking for a name or a description?

(August 18, 2016 at 8:39 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Also not based on any cultural mythos but there are common themes and parallels.

I hammered it out for myself with pure logic and geometry.

I agree. Because I distinctly remembered not noticing that.

Wait... sorry I meant I disagree.

Huh
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 18, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Are [you] looking for a name or a description?

Nope.

Arkilogue Wrote:Huh

That's right.
(August 18, 2016 at 8:42 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Are [you] looking for a name or a description?

Nope.

Arkilogue Wrote:Huh

That's right.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
The real religion?
(August 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I'm just responding within the conversation.  To your question about the mandela effect, and the immediate context of what you quoted from Steve?   I'm getting a little tire of you attacking me

Well, I'm getting tired of you pretending to not understand what I'm saying in order to save face. If that's not what you're doing, then I apologize.

Quote:...rather than answering any questions or having a conversation.   I even invited you to ask me questions about a particular instance in regards to the conversation (It can be about the Bible if you like).

I've answered all of your questions to my knowledge. If you wish to point something out that I missed, I'd be happy to take a look.

Quote:To what testimony are you referring concerning Parallel universe slips? I had seen a theory involving that, but not much reasoning (or any testimony) in the article.

Maybe the snopes article was not the best apple in the bunch as far as examples of personal testimony. Many, many people who have experienced this 'false memory' phenomenon INSIST (as passionately as Christians insist they communicate with God) that parallel universe slips are happening, and are the ONLY explanation for their experience. The evidence they offer up to support their claims? "I KNOW I'm right, because I experienced it first hand, and my experience cannot be wrong." Does that sound familiar?

But, I'm happy to search for some better sources if you're not interested in taking my word for it.

Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 2:35 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You could just go off of what I'm saying  in this discussion, and keep assumptions to a minimum.  You know have a discussion, and see where it goes.

Um...I was going off of what you said in the discussion, hence the direct quote.  I'm not making any assumptions; quite the opposite in fact.  I'm trying to pin down what points you're actually attempting to make so that I don't unintentionally straw-man you, and then get accused of "shifting the goal posts."  The problem is you keep waffling.  Are we talking bible claims here or not?  

I was discussing our way of knowing through testimony. I sorry I think you misunderstood me.... We can discuss application, and if in that context, you want to ask a question about something in the Bible and other things, and see how it applies.

Quote:
Quote:I did read it (as well as a number of similar ones in the past)...   It deals with lineups, and the ability of a person to pick a stranger out of a line up.  I largely agree.   I think that if a person got a good look at the person in question, that the chosen suspect will look fairly similar to the actual person, but can understand where there may be error here.  This article didn't go into much detail on the issue of confidence about things that where false.  However from other similar articles, this may be a small detail that is remembered incorrectly or altered by other circumstances afterwards (in which your article also discusses somewhat).  How do you think I should apply these to stories about evidence for evolution?

I'm sorry; I didn't realize we were talking about evolution.  I thought, per YOUR WORDS, we were talking strictly about eyewitness testimony and its value as evidence.  The article touches nicely on this very subject.  It's just one short article ofc, but it's 100% relevant to the subject you said you wanted to discuss.

I think that application can be part of the discussion (testing if you will).

Quote:
Quote:What evidence do you have that these are backed by actual data...How do you know, that it (medication) was tested in a lab.... do you have sufficient evidence that it was?

Okay, you've got to be a Poe.  You've GOT to be.  Are you kidding?  I mean, I'm assuming you leave your house every day, yes?  You engage in the world around you?  You're aware of things like modern medicine and space travel?  You aren't sitting in a cave building fire to keep warm, and you're able to buy food with a comfortable shelf-life from the grocery store, correct?  Why do you think that is?  The physical, observable world you live in accurately reflects the milestones of scientific advancement this species has made in a consistent and methodological way.  No need to wonder if anyone is lying or delusional.  We can SEE it.

What do you have going for your "religious data"?   Zilch.  Nada.  All's quiet on the firmament.  No Jesus saving babies from fires.  All you have is vehement insistence with nothing tangible to substantiate it.  

Oh, and as far as scientific evidence for historical accounts goes, you should check out these fields called, "archeology", and "paleontology."  Fascinating stuff.

I would agree, hyper-skepticsm is pretty much impossible to live by. Which I think is often why you normally see it in the selective variety.
(August 18, 2016 at 8:47 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I'm  just responding within the conversation.  To your question about the mandela effect, and the immediate context of what you quoted from Steve?   I'm getting a little tire of you attacking me

Well, I'm getting tired of you pretending to not understand what I'm saying in order to save face.  If that's not what you're doing, then I apologize.

Thanks for the apology.
Quote:
Quote:To what testimony are you referring concerning Parallel universe slips? I had seen a theory involving that, but not much reasoning (or any testimony) in the article.

Maybe the snopes article was not the best apple in the bunch as far as examples of personal testimony.  Many, many people who have experienced this 'false memory' phenomenon INSIST (as passionately as Christians insist they communicate with God) that parallel universe slips are happening, and are the ONLY explanation for their experience.  The evidence they offer up to support their claims?  "I KNOW I'm right, because I experienced it first hand, and my experience cannot be wrong."  Does that sound familiar?  

But, I'm happy to search for some better sources if you're not interested in taking my word for it.  
Sure.... I would be curious to know why they are insisting they are due to parallel universe slips. However, it doesn't sound from your description, that it is because of something that they witnessed, rather it is a conclusion for these false memories. I don't think that remembering a slightly different name for the Berenstain Bears cartoons; it follows that there must be a parallel universe.
The real religion?
(August 18, 2016 at 9:15 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I would agree, hyper-skepticsm is pretty much impossible to live by. Which I think is often why you normally see it in the selective variety.

I completely agree with you, so I'll quote myself here because I feel it bears repeating:

If demanding that the highest grade of scientific evidence be demonstrated before believing in things like talking donkeys, walking on water, magical fruit, and zombies is being a "hyper-skeptic", then I'll proudly wear the label. [emoji41]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
LFC is awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11111 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5009 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20085 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50805 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5265 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused